House Price Crash Forum

Shop Your Landlord To Hmrc

Lucifer

HOLA441

I post below a reply I made to a guy in the rental section of this site who (the usual story) was having great difficulty getting his

deposit back from a landlord...I wish to pout forward my suggestion to him that he shops his landlord to HMRC for tax evasion to

all on this forum who are living in rentals owned by private landlords...its probably not a very nice thing to do but I see it as a perfectly acceptable form of guerilla warfare against tax evading BTL scum...

"My nephew had a problem like this, 9 weeks had passed since he moved out of a rental and no deposit (or even any kind of account for supposed deductions) had been returned.

He simply emailed the agent to say that if he the matter was not resolved in 7 days he would (not to put too fine a point to it) pass the landlords details on to HMRC so that they could check if he was paying tax on his rental income.

If you are letting is owned by a private individual the chances are that he is not paying tax on his rental income, so this approach may work for you.

Actually, whilst I'm here, can I encourage all those reading who are letting from private landlords to shop them to HMRC...you can do it anonymously whilst still living in the property or just after you leave, all you need to do is to get the landlords name and address from your contract and call the HMRC tax evasion hotline on 0800 788 887. "

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I post below a reply I made to a guy in the rental section of this site who (the usual story) was having great difficulty getting his

deposit back from a landlord...I wish to pout forward my suggestion to him that he shops his landlord to HMRC for tax evasion to

all on this forum who are living in rentals owned by private landlords...its probably not a very nice thing to do but I see it as a perfectly acceptable form of guerilla warfare against tax evading BTL scum...

"My nephew had a problem like this, 9 weeks had passed since he moved out of a rental and no deposit (or even any kind of account for supposed deductions) had been returned.

He simply emailed the agent to say that if he the matter was not resolved in 7 days he would (not to put too fine a point to it) pass the landlords details on to HMRC so that they could check if he was paying tax on his rental income.

If you are letting is owned by a private individual the chances are that he is not paying tax on his rental income, so this approach may work for you.

Actually, whilst I'm here, can I encourage all those reading who are letting from private landlords to shop them to HMRC...you can do it anonymously whilst still living in the property or just after you leave, all you need to do is to get the landlords name and address from your contract and call the HMRC tax evasion hotline on 0800 788 887. "

I hope he does this regardless of the repayment of the deposit.

Everyone else has to pay tax so I see no reason why any BTL tossers think they might not have to

HOLA443

I hope he does this regardless of the repayment of the deposit.

Everyone else has to pay tax so I see no reason why any BTL tossers think they might not have to

Indeed. You may well be doing the landlord a favour. He, no doubt, is not a deliberate evader of tax and it may be you help to prevent him from getting in trouble in case he accidentally forgets to declare his profit.

HOLA444

I wonder how widespread tax evasion is within the BTL'ers?

Especially the reluctant landlord types.

I suspect it is quite high, and I cannot understand why the government don't clamp down on it.

Surely it would be simple for them to do so, by the use of data sharing from lenders, and/or letting agents.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Surely all this BTL'ers evading the HMRC is old hat now since the introduction of the Rental Deposit Scheme?

The so called Rental Deposit scheme is run by private companies so there no reason why (unless they chose to look)

what goes on there would come to the attention of HMRC.

HOLA447

I'm all for shopping LLs, but I wouldn't want to appear to be blackmailing one (hand me the money or else...)

HOLA448

I'm all for shopping LLs, but I wouldn't want to appear to be blackmailing one (hand me the money or else...)

I think if they are transparently not paying you what they owe that blackmail is perfectly acceptable.

I'm actually advocatring routine shopping of private landlords to HMRC wether they pay back depsits or not...

like I said, a form of guerilla warfare.

Edited by Lucifer

HOLA449

I think if they are transparently not paying you what they owe that blackmail is perfectly acceptable.

I'm actually advocatring routine shopping of private landlords to HMRC wether they pay back depsits or not...

next you'll be complaining the state is too big.

:rolleyes:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The so called Rental Deposit scheme is run by private companies so there no reason why (unless they chose to look)

what goes on there would come to the attention of HMRC.

Well, that was my point really. If HMRC are not cross referencing receipts against something like the Rental Deposit scheme already, why would they act on someone calling them up regarding an individual landlord? And more to the point, for all you know the landlord may very well be paying tax, how can anyone know for sure otherwise?

HOLA4412

See my post above.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Well, that was my point really. If HMRC are not cross referencing receipts against something like the Rental Deposit scheme already, why would they act on someone calling them up regarding an individual landlord? And more to the point, for all you know the landlord may very well be paying tax, how can anyone know for sure otherwise?

Theres obviously no gaurantee at all, you're correct, but its a question of doing nothing and simply complying or

kicking against the pricks every now and then...its always better to do something than nothing!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

To be honest, all renters would be well advised to notify HMRC on leaving a property for whatever reason, that they have been paying rent to Mr x of £y per month just so that the HMRC can make a note of it.

EDIT: It's either that or cuts to public services, pensions etc.

+1

Exactly.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Actually if he is letting through a bona-fide agency the chances are that he is paying tax on that income as agencies are not allowed to let properties without deducting tax at source that are not declared to the inland revenue.

Edited by davidg

HOLA4423

:rolleyes:

The solution to a high rent environment isn't to give more money to the people who made it a high rent environment.

Apart from that, your suggestion is evil.

Au contraire Injin me dear...shopping landlords for tax evasion is every citizens duty and is a just and noble cause.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425