33 replies to this topic

#16 8 year itch

8 year itch

My member's title is Rodney.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,961 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:28 PM

I've lived here 18 months now and last weekend I went out on the razz for the first time. Won't be doing that again in a hurry.

There is no ladder.

JY

No need to sell up, the next phase of the economics cycle is going to be very positive for anyone that owns property.

All I'm sayings is, don't listen to the property bears people, they are wrong.

#17 Bootsox

Bootsox

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:16 PM

......At the risk of being very anoraky, it's got a decent model railway shop.

Yes fantastic place.

#18 CapitalistPiglet

CapitalistPiglet

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:15 AM

Yes fantastic place.

It still has the potential to be a fantastic place again (Not many towns have an ice rink, cinema, 2 sport centers, michelin restaurant, train station, tram station in 3 mins walk from the M&S), but its gone wrong. The Pitta Crepe stall thats opened up near WH Smiths is fab, and the owner is doing an enthusiastic job. But its bizarre that he can only manage it by leaving his trailer parked in place rather than opening as a new shop.

#19 Nomadd

Nomadd

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:19 AM

Not many towns have an ice rink, cinema, 2 sport centers, michelin restaurant, train station, tram station in 3 mins walk from the M&S...

...and bugger all parking. :)

Only way I can ever get a parking place is to use a friends disabled sticker (and yes, I do take that friend with me when I go into Alty.)
Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home.

#20 needle

needle

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:39 PM

It still has the potential to be a fantastic place again (Not many towns have an ice rink, cinema, 2 sport centers, michelin restaurant, train station, tram station in 3 mins walk from the M&S), but its gone wrong.

It could be fantastic but for 2 problems
1. too many old people. little old ladies clogging up 4 bed houses while families have to compete for terraces. Its fkn crazy.
Thats why the town is dying and why all the shops are charity shops. No youth. No life.
2. car parking is too far from the town centre. Who wants to park by the sports centre and walk all the way to M&S or to a restaurant?

The Pitta Crepe stall thats opened up near WH Smiths is fab, and the owner is doing an enthusiastic job. But its bizarre that he can only manage it by leaving his trailer parked in place rather than opening as a new shop.

He probably has to pay high rates on a shop and not on a mobile unit.
Besides who are the fkwits who own property in the town. Drop the rents.

BTW his crepes are excellent, but at 2.50 for a pancake, they'd have to be.

#21 howarden

howarden

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:53 PM

Also, is the spectre of Altair to blame for the area around the corner of Moss Lane looking like this? I'm constantly disappointed to see the beautiful building looking so shabby.

Posted Image

I wandered past this building yesterday evening and was again shocked at the state of disrepair, so decided to do a bit of research. It's called Stamford House and I found the following articles:

http://www.messenger...Stamford_House/

Plans accepted for Altrincham's Stamford House
1:00pm Thursday 18th November 2010

PLANS to bring Altrincham's Stamford House 'back to life' have been accepted by Trafford Council.

The planning committee unanimously accepted the plans to covert the grade II listed building in the Stamford New Road Conservation Area into apartments on November 11.

There was consensus among councillors at the meeting that the restoration of the building was much-needed.

Cllr Michael Whetton said the building had been 'crying out for attention' for a long time, Cllr Daniel Bunting said the restoration would be 'most welcome' and Cllr Tony Fishwick said he welcomed the building being 'brought back to life'.

Under the plans, submitted by Petros Development Company Limited, the first, second and third floors of the listed building will be converted into 24 apartments, a car park will be created in the basement and the ground floor retail units will be refurbished...

http://www.pozzoni.c...ning-approval./

Pozzonis contemporary redevelopment of Stamford House Altrincham wins unanimous planning approval.
15 November 2010

The Pozzoni redevelopment design proposals for Stamford House Altrincham have now received Planning Approval with unanimous support from The Council, despite concerns expressed by The Victorian Society and Altrincham & Bowdon Civic Society.

The contemporary approach will convert the upper vacant floors to Apartments, revamp the retail facilities at Street level and replace the existing dilapidated building facing Altrincham Bus Station with a new retail extension to link with the existing Grade 2 listed building.

This is a major step forward for Altrincham's revitalisation, and a high profile project, right on the doorstep of our North West Head Office.

Partner Stewart Grant explained why this project is so important to the practice "This design respects the original buildings whilst injecting a new and exciting look to the heart of Altrincham which links into the main transport hub. We are confident that this project will play a major role in revitalising the Town Centre, and are delighted to continue our long standing relationship with the local community"

Work is to start on site sometime next year, with update news to follow.

The developer website:

http://www.petros.co.uk/

Company details for the Altrincham arm

http://companycheck....ompany/04651537

I wonder if this company is just for Stamford House and they've given it a book value of 2.9M? Seems like a quite a lot for 10 small retail units and 24 undeveloped flats though.

Not sure if these links will work, planning applications for commercial space refurbishment and flat development (if not search on Trafford Council planning site for decisions made on 11/11/10):

http://planning.traf...&DAURI=PLANNING

http://planning.traf...&DAURI=PLANNING

#22 howarden

howarden

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:16 PM

Look Altair is on ice for as far back as I can remember.
The spot is used for parking now and should remain as such.

Maybe Altair is still going ahead, the Bridge Inn pub on Moss Lane opposite Tesco has been shut for a few weeks now and ATS Euromaster, the car repair place next to the pub on the corner, also looks abandoned, though I never saw much activity there anyway. These needed to be compulsory purchased for Altair to get all the land they wanted. The final decision doesn't appear to have been made though as the Compulsory Purchase meeting was adjourned to 4th October.

http://www.placenort...-adjourned.html

In a bizarre twist relating to my last post, the owners of the Bridge Inn pub are Petros Developments, the owners of Stamford House.

#23 mcfc4962P

mcfc4962P

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

It still has the potential to be a fantastic place again (Not many towns have an ice rink, cinema, 2 sport centers, michelin restaurant, train station, tram station in 3 mins walk from the M&S), but its gone wrong. The Pitta Crepe stall thats opened up near WH Smiths is fab, and the owner is doing an enthusiastic job. But its bizarre that he can only manage it by leaving his trailer parked in place rather than opening as a new shop.

I assume you are referring to Juniper ? Didn't this lose its star when the chef Paul Kitching n left for pastures new ? Not even sure it's still open..

#24 monks

monks

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

I assume you are referring to Juniper ? Didn't this lose its star when the chef Paul Kitching n left for pastures new ? Not even sure it's still open..

The curry house, Dilli, claimed to have a star when it first opened, but it has since retracted that piece of advertising...

Decent enough curry, but they served a jug of water to us one night that had a bird poo in the bottom. God knows how / what / where that had happened...

#25 monks

monks

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:52 AM

They also serve a very nice rabbit curry, but one time it honestly took an hour to cook it. I was hardly hungry by the time it arrived.

The alarm system at the pet store in Timperley can take a while to bypass in the dark !

#26 bonse

bonse

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

the shops on the main road were doomed as soon as the pedestrian precinct was built 30 odd years ago, since then out of town shopping(broadheath)has put another nail in. online shopping another nail. with regard parking never had a problem, parking in alti is easier than most towns chester springs to mind. 30 years ago individuals opening shops was the norm then we became enthralled to the great god supermarket. the only people to blame are ourselves. the few individual shops left need support use em or lose them.

#27 needle

needle

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

Maybe Altair is still going ahead, the Bridge Inn pub on Moss Lane opposite Tesco has been shut for a few weeks now

No loss.

and ATS Euromaster, the car repair place next to the pub on the corner, also looks abandoned, though I never saw much activity there anyway.

Its open for business again now.

#28 howarden

howarden

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:28 AM

Altair plans back on after compulsary purchase order given for the ATS site.

http://www.messenger..._back_on_track/

They're cracking on as the old pub has been completely flattened for a few weeks now, zero sign it was ever there.

Scaffolding has been up for a few months around the Stamford House building on Moss Lane I posted about earlier on the thread, the owners of that also owned the pub, so maybe the cash Trafford council gave them has allowed the conversion to flats to start?

#29 CapitalistPiglet

CapitalistPiglet

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

BBC Report - "UK growth forecast cut by British Chambers of Commerce"

Its a nationwide new story, but look at the stock photo used. Does it look familiar?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-17250662

Alty has become the standard for failing towns :(

#30 8 year itch

8 year itch

My member's title is Rodney.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,961 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

BBC Report - "UK growth forecast cut by British Chambers of Commerce"

Its a nationwide new story, but look at the stock photo used. Does it look familiar?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-17250662

Alty has become the standard for failing towns :(

Probably a stock picture from PA for depressed town after that 2010 story.

There is no ladder.

JY

No need to sell up, the next phase of the economics cycle is going to be very positive for anyone that owns property.

All I'm sayings is, don't listen to the property bears people, they are wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users