277 replies to this topic

#196 Frizzers

Frizzers

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:28 PM

Anyone seen that house on Nightingale Square. Totally dilapidated. Needs fortunes spending on it. They want £1.9 m for it. I cried when I found out then punched an EA

#197 the flying pig

the flying pig

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:52 PM

the lady buyer was already in possession of a couple of inflated assets :D

I walked past her in the street t'other day. Chain smoking and looking v. worried/preoccupied about something.
"HOUSE PRICES FALL AGAIN", Daily Express, 28th Dec 2007... "HOUSE PRICES RISING AGAIN", Daily Express, 29th Dec 2007

#198 Frizzers

Frizzers

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:28 PM

Anyone seen that house on Nightingale Square. Totally dilapidated. Needs fortunes spending on it. They want £1.9 m for it. I cried when I found out then punched an EA

Under offer within 10 days of going on. Unbelievable.

http://residentialse...ail/319058/list

My flatmate guess it was on at £750k ...

#199 Aaron James

Aaron James

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:30 PM

Mmm to be honest although it's gobsmacking and that place is probably going to need 200+k to bring it up to the standard of neighbouring properties, it's probably on the best 'street' in the area.

Annoying though some places in that street sold for. Circa 200k 15 years ago...

#200 the flying pig

the flying pig

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

when i look at what you get for £1m in balham [not, really, all that much] i don't instinctively feel that £2m for a biggish place on a top street like that is all that awful really.

although it's, well, quite a long way out of my price range really so i'm probably not very well-placed to comment.
"HOUSE PRICES FALL AGAIN", Daily Express, 28th Dec 2007... "HOUSE PRICES RISING AGAIN", Daily Express, 29th Dec 2007

#201 smallstakes3

smallstakes3

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:37 AM

Just outside the Hyde Farm, nice road next to the Common.

Been on since the summer ... 10pc off.

Might go and have a look now and tell them I'm intererested at the original px ... ie £680k

http://www.rightmove..._includeSSTC=on

£769,950
6 bedroom link detached house for sale Mortimer Close, London SW16

Just off the common and in a quiet no through road, this link detached house offers nearly 2,000 sq ft of good family accommodation over 3 floors.

tbd

23 February 2012

Price changed: from '£849,950' to '£769,950'

13 September 2011

Price changed: £849,950

11 September 2011

Price changed: Offers in Excess of £680,000 £849,950

22 July 2011

Brief Description changed: Just off the common and in a quiet no through road, this link detached house offers nearly 2,000 sq ft of good family accommodation over 3 floors.... floors.

01 July 2011

Initial entry found.

#202 smallstakes3

smallstakes3

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:40 AM

Another interesting one.

Stuff is definitely selling, but when it doesn't ...

http://www.rightmove...y-31114858.html

£695,000
4 bedroom terraced house for sale Honeybrook Road Clapham South London

An extended four bedroom Victorian family home situated on the south side of the street in a lovely residential road within a short walk of Clapham South Underground station and indeed Clapham Common itself. Offering spacious and highly versatile living accommodation throughout which has recently...

tbd

10 January 2012

Price changed: from '£725,000' to '£695,000'

26 September 2011

Price changed: from '£749,950' to '£725,000'

24 September 2011

Subtitle changed: 4 bedroom property terraced house

31 August 2011

Price changed: from '£775,000' to '£749,950'

12 August 2011

Initial entry found.

#203 the flying pig

the flying pig

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

Another interesting one.

Stuff is definitely selling, but when it doesn't ...

http://www.rightmove...y-31114858.html

£695,000

An extended four bedroom Victorian family home situated on the south side of the street in a lovely residential road within a short walk of Clapham South Underground station and indeed Clapham Common itself. Offering spacious and highly versatile living accommodation throughout which has recently...

tbd

10 January 2012

Price changed: from '£725,000' to '£695,000'

26 September 2011

Price changed: from '£749,950' to '£725,000'

24 September 2011

Subtitle changed: 4 bedroom property terraced house

31 August 2011

Price changed: from '£775,000' to '£749,950'

12 August 2011

Initial entry found.

I think that was just badly overpriced initially. Lots of things are ‘wrong’ with it for a £775k [the initial asking price] house in the area.

1 – not far but not massively close to the tube;
2 – very badly placed for state primary schools – Bonneville & Alderbrook are both basically ‘sink’ schools, and even then neither’s particularly close;
3 – awful single storey extension at the back has left with no back garden to speak of;
4 – but the kitchen’s still tiny;

Buyers in that price range would, well I don’t know, those big kitchen/’family rooms’ at the back are all the rage, I’d guess they might want to knock down most of the extension & also build a ‘side return’ that took in the current ‘courtyard’ and ‘utility room’… it’d cost a packet & you’d still be left with a house that was nowhere near the popular schools. I daresay they’ll get £600-odd k for it.

Edited by the flying pig, 29 February 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#204 Frizzers

Frizzers

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

FWIW more so up the road in Clapham, but also in Balham, Wandsworth and and BAttersea, there suddenly seems to be a flood of stuff around £2.5 m in the trophy homes category , a bit of stuff from £1.2 to £1.7 , then nothing around the £700k-£1.1m mark

#205 smallstakes3

smallstakes3

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

I think that was just badly overpriced initially. Lots of things are ‘wrong’ with it for a £775k [the initial asking price] house in the area.

1 – not far but not massively close to the tube;
2 – very badly placed for state primary schools – Bonneville & Alderbrook are both basically ‘sink’ schools, and even then neither’s particularly close;
3 – awful single storey extension at the back has left with no back garden to speak of;
4 – but the kitchen’s still tiny;

Buyers in that price range would, well I don’t know, those big kitchen/’family rooms’ at the back are all the rage, I’d guess they might want to knock down most of the extension & also build a ‘side return’ that took in the current ‘courtyard’ and ‘utility room’… it’d cost a packet & you’d still be left with a house that was nowhere near the popular schools. I daresay they’ll get £600-odd k for it.

It did look odd on the pix. And also I don't think it was helped by being advertised as being on Emmanuel Road initially ... but this is the latest:

Aspire, Balham have removed this property. It may now be sold, under offer or temporarily withdrawn from the market.

£674,950

Marketed by Aspire, Balham. Telephone: 0843 313 8883 BT 4p/min

#206 smallstakes3

smallstakes3

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

It did look odd on the pix. And also I don't think it was helped by being advertised as being on Emmanuel Road initially ... but this is the latest:

Aspire, Balham have removed this property. It may now be sold, under offer or temporarily withdrawn from the market.

£674,950

Marketed by Aspire, Balham. Telephone: 0843 313 8883 BT 4p/min

Ah no it has sold through a different one ...

http://www.rightmove...y-32700841.html

Guide Price £674,950
4 bedroom house for sale Honeybrook Road, Clapham South, SW12

A substantial four bedroom Victorian family home requiring some modernisation. Situated in a popular residential street within a short walk of Clapham South underground station and the open spaces of Clapham Common. The property features a through lounge/dining room, separate kitchen, downstai...

tbd

26 March 2012

Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Sold STC'

16 March 2012

Brief Description changed: A substantial four bedroom period Victorian family home situated requiring some modernisation. Situated in a popular residential street within a short walk of Clapham South underground station and the open spaces of Clapham Common. The property features a through Lounge/Dining Room, separa... lounge/dining room, separate kitchen, downstai...

13 March 2012

Brief Description changed: A SPACIOUS THREE FOUR BEDROOM VICTORIAN TERRACED HOUSE A substantial three four bedroom period family home situated in a popular residential street within a short walk of Clapham South underground and the open spaces of Clapham Common. The property features a through Lounge/Dining Room, sepa... separa...
Price changed: Guide Price £695,000 £674,950
Subtitle changed: from '3 bedroom house ' to '4 bedroom house '

#207 Aaron James

Aaron James

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

There have been some pretty epic asking prices around upper Hyde Farm/Telford Park recently.

KFH the usual culprit but James Pendleton too, have been treating vendors to some insane overvaluations. It seems these guys are trying to muscle in on Andrews and Jackons who have traditionally been strong in the area. Best way to do that is to tell people what they want to hear. Like their 1.5 bedroom 700 square foot side-return flat is worth 470k.

Then you get something truly special like this one from KFH, which really is a treat. 630k for a 3 bed upper floor maisonette. For added roffle factor, they include the uninhabitable eaves in their square ft calculations...
http://www.rightmove...y-21776271.html

I know there's very few instructions going around at the moment but some of these Balham estate agents are getting dirty in order to get business.

#208 TheCountOfNowhere

TheCountOfNowhere

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,497 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

There have been some pretty epic asking prices around upper Hyde Farm/Telford Park recently.

KFH the usual culprit but James Pendleton too, have been treating vendors to some insane overvaluations. It seems these guys are trying to muscle in on Andrews and Jackons who have traditionally been strong in the area. Best way to do that is to tell people what they want to hear. Like their 1.5 bedroom 700 square foot side-return flat is worth 470k.

Then you get something truly special like this one from KFH, which really is a treat. 630k for a 3 bed upper floor maisonette. For added roffle factor, they include the uninhabitable eaves in their square ft calculations...

I know there's very few instructions going around at the moment but some of these Balham estate agents are getting dirty in order to get business.

I've posted before that my wife sold last year near here.

She got a good whack for her2 bed flat, double what any sane person might pay for it. The asking prices that have appeared this year though are maybe 50k-80k above her selling price !!!

My only conclusion from this is that the bubble is again about to burst.

Buy at your peril.

#209 Boon

Boon

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

£630k for that is ridiculous. A good 15-20 minute walk from Balham station, and the road itself isn't the most pretty. Not particularly close to any primary school so will struggle to get a spot in the good ones.

First floor two-beds, which is what this is minus the loft conversion, goes for approx £400k in the immediate area. So add the extra loft conversion, some nice interiors (have to admit wooden floor is nice), and the share of freehold and it really shouldn't be selling for more than £500k tops. I would bet that the true value is closer to £480k.

Lets revisit this property in a few months time, which I'm sure will still be on the market :)
My blog about London http://www.london-insider.co.uk/

#210 smallstakes3

smallstakes3

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

£630k for that is ridiculous. A good 15-20 minute walk from Balham station, and the road itself isn't the most pretty. Not particularly close to any primary school so will struggle to get a spot in the good ones.

First floor two-beds, which is what this is minus the loft conversion, goes for approx £400k in the immediate area. So add the extra loft conversion, some nice interiors (have to admit wooden floor is nice), and the share of freehold and it really shouldn't be selling for more than £500k tops. I would bet that the true value is closer to £480k.

Lets revisit this property in a few months time, which I'm sure will still be on the market :)

For 630 you can probably get a house the same size needing a bit of work (with room to expand blah blah) on Hydethorpe, within the Henry Cavendish catchment.

I guess if you put this on at a stupid px, you'll get some genius offering 5-10pc under, thinking they've got a bargain, and actually offering 50-100 over what a normal person would pay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users