13 replies to this topic

#1 ader

ader

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:30 PM

I am strongly considering a move to Beverley. So any advice? Anywhere to avoid?
Thinking of renting for a while with a view to buying again in a year or so.

#2 rolf

rolf

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:07 AM

I have a friend from round there. And I saw it on one of those pwoperty daytime tv programs. It seems very posh for the north and a nice place to live. I say go for it.

#3 Quagmire

Quagmire

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:33 AM

Lived there for a year or so in the Minster Wharf development, by the canal. Lovely place to live. I'd strongly recommend that area as it's a walkable distance to the town center and also close to the main road into Hull.

Good schools, nice little town center, Hull at a safe distance! Town can get a little rough sometimes in the evening but it's better than most.

I think most of it is pretty good really. It's the best place I lived in England.
Giggity

#4 montesquieu

montesquieu

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:54 AM

Never lived there but had the misfortune to spend a few weekends there visiting friends in Hull who didnt have room to put me up.

Try and avoid anywhere near the town centre as the sheep-sh*agging youth get over-excited and are as rowdy as I've seen anywhere including central London.

Preferable to Hull though (though that isn't saying much).

If you are into classical music the minster has loads including an annual Early Music Festival which is the finest in the country - missed it this year though.

#5 ader

ader

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:39 PM

Thanks chaps :)

Looks like Beverley property is split in two categories: good schools area and not so good schools area.
Still silly prices, and certainly no cheaper than where I currently am :(

#6 deeplyblue

deeplyblue

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

Anywhere in Beverley, first thing I'd check is the car parking - I'd make sure there's off-street parking, as any street in the town itself is likely to be filled up, especially in the tourist season, but basically at any time. Don't let an EA fob you off with "allocated spaces"!

If you decide to live on the outskirts, make sure that you're within walking distance of anywhere you want to go - for the same reason, parking in Beverley is not something to rely on.

db

#7 ader

ader

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:53 AM

Anywhere in Beverley, first thing I'd check is the car parking - I'd make sure there's off-street parking, as any street in the town itself is likely to be filled up, especially in the tourist season, but basically at any time. Don't let an EA fob you off with "allocated spaces"!

If you decide to live on the outskirts, make sure that you're within walking distance of anywhere you want to go - for the same reason, parking in Beverley is not something to rely on.

db

Thanks db, I imagine if parking is a problem then any "allocated" is likely to be filled by someone else - I wouldn't relish a daily kerfuffle so v. helpful :)

#8 deeplyblue

deeplyblue

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:25 AM

Thanks db, I imagine if parking is a problem then any "allocated" is likely to be filled by someone else - I wouldn't relish a daily kerfuffle so v. helpful :)

Glad to be of service. Should have added that Beverley is a lovely town.

Oh and another thought - some large bits of Beverley are prone to flooding, so get up the environment map:

"http://maps.environm...t&textonly=off"

(I've added "" round the url, since this board won't display it properly. If it works this time, I'll leave you to cut and paste the address and remove the ""round.)

or google: environment agency risk of flooding and go to the maps and put Beverley" in the search box.

which looks pretty alarming, but does mean that you should avoid the east of Beverley, unless you're very sure about flood defences, insanely optimistic or unworried about the insurance bills. My info may be out of date, but the Environment Agency's map is hard to argue with.

db

Edited by deeplyblue, 25 August 2010 - 03:31 AM.

#9 ader

ader

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:18 PM

Even more brilliant advice!

Thanks,

ade.

Glad to be of service. Should have added that Beverley is a lovely town.

Oh and another thought - some large bits of Beverley are prone to flooding, so get up the environment map:

"http://maps.environm...t&textonly=off"

(I've added "" round the url, since this board won't display it properly. If it works this time, I'll leave you to cut and paste the address and remove the ""round.)

or google: environment agency risk of flooding and go to the maps and put Beverley" in the search box.

which looks pretty alarming, but does mean that you should avoid the east of Beverley, unless you're very sure about flood defences, insanely optimistic or unworried about the insurance bills. My info may be out of date, but the Environment Agency's map is hard to argue with.

db

#10 PopGun

PopGun

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,314 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

Lots of empty shops in Bev

Which is strange given that you can never move for the amount of old people there. Molescroft area is nice, but very pricey.
"the remarkable result is that under Mrs Thatcher from 1979-90, just as under Tony Blair from 1997-2007, the real value of Housing Equity Withdrawal is larger than the real value of GDP growth"

#11 ader

ader

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:38 PM

Which is strange given that you can never move for the amount of old people there. Molescroft area is nice, but very pricey.

I heard that allowing a Tesco's killed off a few of the shops so maybe that's the reason for some empties..

I will be working east of the station and hoping to walk to work when I can (no point running two cars if we don't need to).

ade.

#12 deeplyblue

deeplyblue

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:38 PM

I heard that allowing a Tesco's killed off a few of the shops so maybe that's the reason for some empties..

I will be working east of the station and hoping to walk to work when I can (no point running two cars if we don't need to).

ade.

Beverley is a great place to use a bike!

db

#13 deeplyblue

deeplyblue

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:44 PM

Which is strange given that you can never move for the amount of old people there.

I hadn't noticed that the young were particularly averse to shopping!

db

#14 PopGun

PopGun

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,314 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:54 PM

I hadn't noticed that the young were particularly averse to shopping!

db

You can't get to the shops for all the old people ;)

Yeah loads of shops for the young, well only New Look and Burtons......

Me thinks the real reason for the empty units, would be the very high rent and rates.

Good place to work AND live due to everything being in walking or biking distance. Parking is a nightmare though if you're comming in to work from the outside.
"the remarkable result is that under Mrs Thatcher from 1979-90, just as under Tony Blair from 1997-2007, the real value of Housing Equity Withdrawal is larger than the real value of GDP growth"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users