43 replies to this topic

#16 deflation

deflation

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:57 PM

I'd like to give an honourable mention to Eric Pebble, for banging the drum loud and clear.

I second 'noodle' too, for the perspective from somewhere else in the world.

#17 Selling up

Selling up

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:59 PM

I've been here quite a while now....

dstars was pretty bloody remarkable. Not seen him for ages though, does he ever come here now?

realistbear of course is a part of the scenery. Prone to inaccurately spun thread titles but tireless and tenacious in his pursuit of housing-related news.

i also used to like propertyguru, though he was a rude f*cker.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is clear, simple and wrong.

#18 scepticus

scepticus

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,710 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:04 PM

[Other honourable mentions: Freetrader

where's he gone?

#19 Charlie The Tramp Returns

Charlie The Tramp Returns

EU Troll Buster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,630 posts
  • About Me:Originally joined the Forum on 30 October 2003

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

Although there are some very good and knowledgeable posters at present on the Forum the really great ones were during the period from mid 2004 through 2006.

Sadly they drifted away when the unbearable white noise started and the Forum was subjected to very annoying trolling. :(

I remember a great pub meet in 2005 when many of these posters attended and great discussions took place over beer and snacks supplied by Webmaster.

During late 2005 through 2006 an attempt was made to trash the Forum by those who had their own agendas and financial interests, no, not Bankers, EAs, or BTLrs but people with similar views to members of this Forum trying to gain financial advantage on the back of the Forum`s great success. In the battle which followed genuine posters not knowing the facts attacked the Moderators and requested their accounts to be deleted.

This was a very sad time for me as a Moderator as privacy of posters was paramount and I was unable to email the facts to certain members thus giving them the impression that they were right in their assumptions.

Life goes on and when the finale comes none knows the outcome as surprising it will not be that which is now is being predicted.

Sensible adjustments will eventually be made at a great loss for some and deep relief for others. ;)
I have been studying the European Economic Community which became the European Community and finally becoming the European Union since the 1st January 1973. As each year passed the stench of corruption, financial recklessness, and Dictatorship has got totally out of control.

In an interview,( on holiday in the exclusive Swiss ski resort of Davos ) the Liberal Democrat leader was asked whether he was in charge while the Prime Minister was away from Britain travelling in the Middle East. Sipping from a mug marked “Deputy Prime Minister,” he said: “Yeah, I suppose I am. I forgot about that.( Proves what a total berk he is )

Cameron must learn the basic rule in politics and life ( Put brain in gear before putting mouth in motion ) and Miliband with no direct British Lineage should dig a hole and disappear down it.

Is Nicholarse Elcleggski ( 25% British ) insane? Who, in their right mind would willingly appease the French and Germans?

In our Country today THE TRUTH MUST NEVER BE SPOKEN, I will leave you all with your very bleak future as I will be gone.

The Lib/Dems who over the years have supported the demise of the moral and accepted standards we were all brought up to respect. The party who would lead us the way of the Ancient Greek and Roman Empires. We can Add David Cameron and Ed Miliband as Leaders of their parties who are heading for the buffers

#20 Selling up

Selling up

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:11 PM

During late 2005 through 2006 an attempt was made to trash the Forum by those who had their own agendas and financial interests, no, not Bankers, EAs, or BTLrs but people with similar views to members of this Forum trying to gain financial advantage on the back of the Forum`s great success. In the battle which followed genuine posters not knowing the facts attacked the Moderators and requested their accounts to be deleted.

Interesting. I joined in late 2006 after some lurking; that all went over my head.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is clear, simple and wrong.

#21 Guest_ringledman_*

Guest_ringledman_*

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:18 PM

Anyone remember dogbox? total property bull.
Men for the sake of getting a living forget to live.

Margaret Fuller

The only liberty an inferior man really cherishes is the liberty to quit work, stretch out in the sun, and scratch himself.

H.L. Mencken

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

André Gide

#22 libspero

libspero

Frijolero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,422 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:23 PM

Life goes on and when the finale comes none knows the outcome as surprising it will not be that which is now is being predicted.

Sensible adjustments will eventually be made at a great loss for some and deep relief for others. ;)

Very cryptic Charlie.. It seems somehow unlikely now, but I hope you're right... if you're saying what I think you're saying :unsure:

And I tell you we have learned from past mistakes.
Just as you cannot spend your way out of recession, you cannot, in a global economy, simply spend your way through recovery either.

(Gordon Brown, Labour Party Annual Conference, 29 September 1997)

So, housing affordability is better than it has ever been, but no-one can take advantage of this because they can't afford the houses. I see.
cybernoid - 7th August 2010

Gambling promises the poor what property promises the rich - something for nothing
George Bernard Shaw

#23 okaycuckoo

okaycuckoo

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:27 PM

Yes, lots of good posters. Interestrateripoff/bloo loo/Masked tulip do a great job linking stuff. And scepticus is very interesting, but his posts don't hit the practicality spot for me.

Really at a loss to understand why the UK doesn't come up with good blogs on this nonsense. The list of US bloggers who know what they're talking about is impressive. There have been a few for the UK - UK Housing Bubble was OK, and Our Daily Debt gave good insight - but cynicus economicus is the only one I can think of that gets to the heart of the problem, and he's theoretical and only posts once a month. Where are the insiders?

#24 pandora's box

pandora's box

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:33 PM

>Where are the insiders?

they aren't saying

would you?

#25 pandora's box

pandora's box

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:39 PM

4. ringledman

lol

#26 okaycuckoo

okaycuckoo

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:49 PM

>Where are the insiders?

they aren't saying

would you?

Yes.

The UK is the centre of the banking nonsense, and not one qualified critic in UK blogs? Macroman is good, but he's an American trader.

Just one. Not Alphaville, nothing to do with the FT. Please.

#27 pandora's box

pandora's box

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:55 PM

>The UK is the centre of the banking nonsense, and not one qualified critic in UK blogs?

makes you think, doesn't it...

#28 Traktion

Traktion

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,292 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:19 PM

where's he gone?

He seems to come and go, but when he posts, they're usually worth reading, IMO.
Hayek: Denationalisation of Money - Competing, alternative currencies and breaking the money monopolies.
Bitcoin - Free market, distributed, open source, e-currency.
Against Intellectual Monopoly - Stop the rent seeking through legal monopoly.
Freedomain Radio - Philosophical commentary and debate.
Khan Academy - Free market education, funded by voluntary donations.
Community Land Licencing - A distributed, non-state, alternative to land value taxation.

#29 Executive Sadman

Executive Sadman

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,619 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:28 PM

Hilltop. I like the continuity of his/her posts. Although im pretty sure its a him, Gordon Brown to be precise.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

#30 Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis

4 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,019 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:31 PM

A better thread would be the top three with whom you don't agree. I most like the posters with similar views to mine.
High house prices - wrecking economies worldwide since 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users