8 replies to this topic

#1 sammi

sammi

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:48 PM

Hiya i' m new to the forum and i was wondering if anyone could tell me if Low Fell is a safe area to live in. I m interested in buying a flat or a small house hopefully close to bus links as i work in Newcastle city centre and i dont drive. Cheers

#2 Wad

Wad

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:00 PM

My wife is from up there and says it the posh bit of Gateshead. Valley Drive in particular.

#3 Mr 0.01%

Mr 0.01%

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

Can't name any streets in particular but yeah it's probably one of the best places in Gateshead to live in. Sunday nights are a bit rowdy (all the chavs come out from surrounding areas) but I think it's definitely worth a look.

Experience? My ex lives there.

#4 stuckmojo

stuckmojo

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts
  • About Me:Metal, food, wine, computer games

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:29 AM

I live in Low Fell (rented), it's quite ok and the night bus takes you home from Newcastle on Sat and Fri night. Watch out for the chavs on the main street at the weekend.

Other than that, not so bad.

I wouldn't buy now though.
<!--coloro:#2E8B57--><span style="color:#2E8B57"><!--/coloro--><a href="http://idiotswallet.....blogspot.com/" target="_blank">My Blog on Finance, Property and Wine. </a><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

http://www.petitiono...e/petition.html

#5 sammi

sammi

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for the replies. Can i ask why you think now is not a good time to buy, do you reckon the prices will fall?

#6 stuckmojo

stuckmojo

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts
  • About Me:Metal, food, wine, computer games

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for the replies. Can i ask why you think now is not a good time to buy, do you reckon the prices will fall?

In my opinion, yes, but this is HPC.co.uk. I walk the dog through Low fell and saw some of those horrible flats Jan Forster is marketing behind the Co-op. They are "from" 135k. Who are they kidding? that back street must be infested with drunken chavs most nights.

But hey, it's your choice in the end
<!--coloro:#2E8B57--><span style="color:#2E8B57"><!--/coloro--><a href="http://idiotswallet.....blogspot.com/" target="_blank">My Blog on Finance, Property and Wine. </a><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

http://www.petitiono...e/petition.html

#7 sammi

sammi

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:33 PM

Yes it's a nightmare trying to avoid the chavs, they seem to be everywhere!! I ll keep researching for a good while yet before i make a decision.

#8 Durham Lad

Durham Lad

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 02:27 AM

Sammi,

Firstly, I wouldn't be in any hurrry to buy a property any time soon. On the other hand the northern half of Low Fell is one of my intended places when I finally buy a house. Having lived in Jesmond, and knowing Gateshead quite well, I honestly think that there is not too much difference between the Saltwell Park end of Low Fell and Jesmond, except of course that Jesmond is twice or even three times the price! Yes, I would prefer Jesmond but not at the price differencial: Low Fell is much better value for money. It is even walkable to Northumberland Street, though it takes the better part of an hour. Still the exercise is good for you!

The best course of action for now is to save as much as you can, so that you have a decent deposit at hand when the time comes to buy. :rolleyes:

Good Luck,

Durham Lad
"It doesn't work to leap a twenty-foot chasm in two ten-foot jumps" - American Proverb

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must Man be of learning from experience" - George Bernard Shaw

#9 sammi

sammi

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:00 PM

Hey Durham Lad, thanks very much for the advice, i like the saltwell park area too. In the mean time its a matter of working hard and saving hard, best of luck to you too :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users