I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,954 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

http://www.rightmove...y-19137176.html

09 May 2010
* Price changed: Offers in Region of €2,200,000 €1,250,000
* Title changed: Kriti, Crete, Lasithi, Áyios Nikólaos (Agios Nikolaos)

29 April 2008
* Initial entry found.

€950 K Drop !!!!

http://www.rightmove...y-26958992.html

"Dramatically reduced by 350,000€"

http://www.rightmove...y-18998894.html

09 May 2010
* Price changed: from 'Guide Price €450,000' to 'Guide Price €400,000'

29 April 2008
* Initial entry found.

2 Years...no sale !!!

http://www.rightmove...y-19504643.html

09 May 2010
* Price changed: from '€445,000' to '€350,000'

29 April 2008
* Initial entry found.

http://www.rightmove...y-20416904.html

09 May 2010
* Price changed: from 'Guide Price €400,000' to 'Guide Price €330,000'

29 April 2008
* Initial entry found.

http://www.rightmove...y-18974531.html

09 May 2010
* Price changed: from 'Guide Price €330,000' to 'Guide Price €280,000'

29 April 2008
* Initial entry found.

http://www.rightmove...y-20602241.html

09 May 2010
* Price changed: from '€200,000' to '€150,000'

29 April 2008
* Initial entry found.

http://www.rightmove...y-18998528.html

09 May 2010
* Price changed: from 'Offers in Region of €190,000' to '€140,000'

29 April 2008
* Initial entry found.

Doesnt look like anything is selling there and huge drops !!! Lots of Supply too.

Coming to a bankrupt country near you soon !!!

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere, 09 May 2010 - 05:44 PM.

#2 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,329 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:41 PM

Isn't Crete the island with no water?
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#3 TheCountOfNowhere

TheCountOfNowhere

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,954 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:45 PM

...it's the island with no house sales in the last 2 years by the looks of it :lol:

#4 pyracantha

pyracantha

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:50 PM

Doesnt look like anything is selling there and huge drops !!! Lots of Supply too.

Prices still look too high even with the drops you list - way to go yet. Properties in Greece are going to plummet now their true financial situation is being revealed.

I wouldn't like to be a German tourist in Greece at the moment...

#5 moneyscam

moneyscam

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:52 PM

...it's the island with no house sales in the last 2 years by the looks of it :lol:

You think the UK had a bubble, the prices you saw in Greece were eye watering to what they had been historically. A small flat in Rhodes my dad sold for 12K in 1994 sold for 180K! in 2008. My friends there report the retail banks have all but shut down their offers of credit so you can see how property like the one you listed got marked down as it did and still hasn't sold!

#6 pyracantha

pyracantha

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

Crete does have mains water, just not everywhere. Were you thinking of Anafi?

http://www.angelfire...eece/anafi.html

#7 garybug

garybug

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:02 PM

http://www.rightmove...y-18998528.html

09 May 2010
* Price changed: from 'Offers in Region of 190,000' to '140,000'

Is it just me, or is that last one not about Euro100k overpriced... :blink:

Frank Hovis - May 4 2008, 02:55 PM. "[These people] seems outraged that nobody wants to come along and make the same mistake as them."

#8 Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis

4 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,837 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:02 PM

Very interesting posts, that's why I visit this site.

I would even go so far as to say: bubblicious.
High house prices - wrecking economies worldwide since 2003

#9 JOliver

JOliver

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:15 PM

130k if ask me, deducted further 20k for ridiculous bathroom/shower décor and 10k for being effectively a "studio" house - it's roughly 4x4m in size! Smaller than legendary Paris studios, really.

That's the price if they are bailed out of course, if not we shall negotiate....

Edited by JOliver, 09 May 2010 - 08:18 PM.

#10 Bloo Loo

Bloo Loo

Ripened on the Diversity Vine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,865 posts
  • About Me:Im Bloo yabba dee yabba die.

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:19 PM

its so small even the front door is outside to save space.
WARNING

Your
country is at risk
if you
do not keep up repayments
on a gilt or other loan secured on it

#11 Wahoo

Wahoo

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:25 PM

The legal situation with respect to owning property in Crete is complex. You cannot look at prices / price drops and make comparisons to the Uk market. There are two markets in Crete- local purchases and suckers from overseas.

#12 cathscot

cathscot

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:07 PM

The legal situation with respect to owning property in Crete is complex. You cannot look at prices / price drops and make comparisons to the Uk market. There are two markets in Crete- local purchases and suckers from overseas.

II think maybe you're a bit outdated on your info of there being two markets.

Years ago there were no estate agents and so people sold properties by chatting over a drink in a bar. If you were a tourist throwing your money about then , yes you could pay more for a property. That rarely happens nowadays. Look on all the Greek Realestate websites and you'll see that there is one price for all.
(If you were in the UK would you ever buy a house from someone in a bar)!!

The local Council has the land prices and they are priced by the square metre depending on if it's mountains or sea area. Also town is a different price. Then there is a price for a house on the land, each house priced on square metre and how many years since it's been built, tiles, balconies etc.
(Any Contract lawyer will tell you the value of a property)

Let's say that you have a small derelict house on a piece of land and the land price is 20,000, the house price could be 12,000 (with a tiled roof or 8,000 with no roof). That's 32,000 It would be worth more if it had a water supply and electric supply. It would then be about 35,000. If the house next to it had 3 floors then there is another price for the 2 invisible floors above (means it can be built up to the same height). It would probably then be about 48,000. So the value is 48,000... BUT I want 55,000. The contract price will be 48,000 but you will pay 55,000.

I hope you understand what I mean.

To buy a house you need a lawyer who will charge you 1.5% of the sellingprice
A contract man to draw up the contract and witness. will charge about 1% of the selling price
The estate agent will also charge about 1.5% of the selling price, unless the house is old and then they will charge anything from 3,000 to 6,000 for the sale.

It's true that you cannot make comparisons to the UK as the laws are very different.in Greece (Crete) ie: If you live outside the town area (outside the boundary of the street lights) you cannot get a mortgage and will therfor have to pay for the property in cash. Most Greeks pay cash for a property. Very few Greeks have a mortgage and most own several houses and large areas of land (don't assume they are poor just because they look poor). Houses and land are passed down to the children from grandparents and many times with what is known as a 'golden handshake'. That's when a buy can become difficult as there has to be witnesses to sign to say that they knew that the house or property was theirs to sell.
I bought one such property many years ago and the whole thing took about six weeks (depends on the time of year).
There are many cheap house but the villas by the sea are a whole different ballgame even Greek people can't afford those.

Lastly but the most important...UNLIKE the UK. If someone owes money, there is a law that does not permit them to sell their property until it is paid. Which means that they cannot pay a dept by selling their house. If it get's to a stage where they cannot pay they can have their property taken for the amount of the debt.

My apologies for the lengthy reply but I hope it helps in some way.

#13 Deckard

Deckard

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,631 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

Greek Villas Get 45% Markdowns as Crisis Devalues Island Homes
A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies! The chance to begin again, in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

#14 popeye

popeye

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

Years ago there were no estate agents and so people sold properties by chatting over a drink in a bar. If you were a tourist throwing your money about then , yes you could pay more for a property. That rarely happens nowadays. Look on all the Greek Realestate websites and you'll see that there is one price for all.

The local Council has the land prices and they are priced by the square metre depending on if it's mountains or sea area. Also town is a different price. Then there is a price for a house on the land, each house priced on square metre and how many years since it's been built, tiles, balconies etc.

Let's say that you have a small derelict house on a piece of land and the land price is 20,000, the house price could be 12,000 (with a tiled roof or 8,000 with no roof). That's 32,000 It would be worth more if it had a water supply and electric supply. It would then be about 35,000. If the house next to it had 3 floors then there is another price for the 2 invisible floors above (means it can be built up to the same height). It would probably then be about 48,000. So the value is 48,000... BUT I want 55,000. The contract price will be 48,000 but you will pay 55,000.

A contract man to draw up the contract and witness. will charge about 1% of the selling price
The estate agent will also charge about 1.5% of the selling price, unless the house is old and then they will charge anything from 3,000 to 6,000 for the sale.

It's true that you cannot make comparisons to the UK as the laws are very different.in Greece (Crete) ie: If you live outside the town area (outside the boundary of the street lights) you cannot get a mortgage and will therfor have to pay for the property in cash. Most Greeks pay cash for a property. Very few Greeks have a mortgage and most own several houses and large areas of land (don't assume they are poor just because they look poor). Houses and land are passed down to the children from grandparents and many times with what is known as a 'golden handshake'. That's when a buy can become difficult as there has to be witnesses to sign to say that they knew that the house or property was theirs to sell.
I bought one such property many years ago and the whole thing took about six weeks (depends on the time of year).
There are many cheap house but the villas by the sea are a whole different ballgame even Greek people can't afford those.

Lastly but the most important...UNLIKE the UK. If someone owes money, there is a law that does not permit them to sell their property until it is paid. Which means that they cannot pay a dept by selling their house. If it get's to a stage where they cannot pay they can have their property taken for the amount of the debt.

#15 popeye

popeye

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users