#1 Della&Gav

Della&Gav

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:06 AM

Hi

Me and my partner are hoping to rent in the new few weeks, my partner has a good credit record but I may have bad credit history due to credit card insurance I did not know I had taken out but will be paid off in full this week.

Other than that I do not owe any money, nor o I have any credit cards or loans in my name (but I do own a property with an ex partner, which he is paying for)
Me and my parter both work full time, do not smoke and have no pets, but we do have a 1 year old child and need somewhere to live asap, we cannot wait for our local council to offer a house, it has already been a year and still nothing so private renting is our only option.

I would really appreciate it if a landlord was able to reply to the following, but all replys are much appreciated :)

1 What credit checks are involved when renting?
2 If I have a CCJ will I not be able to rent?
3 If I have an over-draft will hat affect my chances?

we readily have all funds available - i.e deposit and holding fee, also month up-front, and we both earn a decent wage which means we have no problems affording rent, bills etc...

I hope someone can help as this is stressing me a little.

Thanks V much
Della

#2 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,020 posts
  • About Me:Vote LABOURTORY. You have no choice!

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:12 AM

Hi

Me and my partner are hoping to rent in the new few weeks, my partner has a good credit record but I may have bad credit history due to credit card insurance I did not know I had taken out but will be paid off in full this week.

Other than that I do not owe any money, nor o I have any credit cards or loans in my name (but I do own a property with an ex partner, which he is paying for)
Me and my parter both work full time, do not smoke and have no pets, but we do have a 1 year old child and need somewhere to live asap, we cannot wait for our local council to offer a house, it has already been a year and still nothing so private renting is our only option.

I would really appreciate it if a landlord was able to reply to the following, but all replys are much appreciated :)

we readily have all funds available - i.e deposit and holding fee, also month up-front, and we both earn a decent wage which means we have no problems affording rent, bills etc...

Thanks V much
Della

Its all at discretion of the landlord. For instance I know people who have come back from abroad and have no (recent) credit history at all. In those circumstances they tend to ask for six months up front.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

#3 satch

satch

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:57 PM

Hi

Thanks V much
Della

I am not an expert!

But the LL will want to know you can pay and may want a reference from a bank; dear bank, does it look like they can pay, bank reply yes.

You can run your own check against Expedian? (for free I believe for one off or for short time period) check the website for details.

As SirSterling said, down to the LL, all they want is their money and if you seem like you can pay then fine, they don't want a void as they can never get that money back.
George Osborne July 2013; 'I don't think in the current environment a house price bubble is going to emerge in 18 months or three years.' Mark Carney September 2013; ' ... there has been an improvement in prices and activity (talking about the housing market) Osborne to cabinet as quoted in the Indie October 2013; "Hopefully we will get a little housing boom & everyone will be happy"

Osborne says; “Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed.”

George Osborne December 2008; “Savers and pensioners are the forgotten victims … They are innocent bystanders and it’s simply not good enough for the Government to walk on by."

In his 1997 Budget speech, Gordon Brown said, "I will not allow house prices to get out of control and put at risk the sustainability of the future". He went on to say that he did not want a return to "instability, speculation and negative equity" of the 1980's and 1990's.

#4 MacGuffin

MacGuffin

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:10 PM

Stay calm.

Only financial institutions registered with the Financial Services Authority (FSA), like banks, building societies or credit card companies can access your credit history, see how many credit cards you have, whether you are in arrears, have an overdraft, etc etc.

Agencies and credit reference agencies cannot, I repeat CANNOT access this kind of information, thank God. All they can check for is CCJ's, and your residential history (i.e. from the electoral roll for each year).

So, pay your CCJ if you can, otherwise come up with a decent story to tell a prospective landlord. But don't worry about the current or past state of your finances, because agencies cannot access this information. They imply to stupid landlords that they can, but they cannot.

#5 The Masked Landlord

The Masked Landlord

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • About Me:Newish landlord - learning fast!

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:52 PM

These are the physical checks a decent landlord reference check will take:

http://www.tenantver...mprehensive.htm

In practical terms - this is a general idea of how there results will be interpreted:

http://www.movingspa...t/#Tenantspara4
BTW - this 'typical landlord' is the founder of a tenants information website. I am neither pro-landlord, not pro-tenant - my statements are based in the real world. These posts wll only advise either side of their rights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users