8 replies to this topic

#1 Quokka

Quokka

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:43 PM

The decline in Pub trade has been widely publicised so I won't comment on that but I noticed on my last visit to the area many are now not used and boarded up. Some of these are in good positions and come with a bit of land (car parks and gardens). These would have attracted developers for flat conversion when the market was "booming" but who wants them now?

I have previously noticed a few listed on RM at the usual silly prices, but when recently browsing some business brokerage sites have noticed a lot for sale at prices way below a similar sized house. This would seem to be an opportunity to end up with a large house on a small budget.

There are currently 32 for sale on the Christie website, this being the cheapest at 65k:

http://www.christie....6429?1269293845

I would welcome your thoughts on this.

#2 juvenal

juvenal

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,481 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:53 PM

The decline in Pub trade has been widely publicised so I won't comment on that but I noticed on my last visit to the area many are now not used and boarded up. Some of these are in good positions and come with a bit of land (car parks and gardens). These would have attracted developers for flat conversion when the market was "booming" but who wants them now?

I have previously noticed a few listed on RM at the usual silly prices, but when recently browsing some business brokerage sites have noticed a lot for sale at prices way below a similar sized house. This would seem to be an opportunity to end up with a large house on a small budget.

There are currently 32 for sale on the Christie website, this being the cheapest at 65k:

I have heard not all councils will allow pubs to go back to being private houses. A big pub near me closed 6 months back and is re-emerging as a Southern Co-op small supermarket with flats above. The food and drink license remained in place. BH15 area.
I think the Tesco Express type outfits will be eyeing the bigger closed-down pubs in high density areas with great interest.
'And while I live, no fool or noble knave
Shall walk this world, in credit, to his grave..'

'The pension system has been a very nice gravy train for all of those involved except for those paying into it.'

'Let's see if we can get it for the asking price..' Kirstie Allsop

"Be under no illusion. You will not escape the net..." S'rAlan Sugar

Sex, drugs and sausage rolls...

The House of Lords: 'The Ermine Vermin....'

#3 dieseldriven

dieseldriven

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:24 PM

....this being the cheapest at 65k:

Never mind that, buffalo joes is up for grabs, you could have a bucking bronco in your living room.
My dad is bigger than your dad He's got eight cars and a house in Ireland

#4 fallingbuzzard

fallingbuzzard

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:06 PM

Very difficult to get permission, and lengthy process. In simple terms, councils regard them as local amenities and so they have to spend years doing all sorts of community needs assessments to prove that no-one else wants to use it for a community activity. During the years they spend doing that, you can be sure they'll find some group that needs a local facility of some sort.

#5 rich1234

rich1234

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:38 PM

Never mind that, buffalo joes is up for grabs, you could have a bucking bronco in your living room.

Yes, I noticed just recently that Buffalo Joes had closed. Does anyone know if there is any reason for this other than the downturn.? Just a few years ago it was always jammed. Is the nightclub opposite also closed? I know the restaurant on the corner (former River Police Station) is also closed and for sale.
Weekly planning applications at Gateshead Council

Labour Government spending orgy. Government debt was slowly reducing towards 300 billion under the John Major government, but the last 10 years have seen it grow to almost 900 billion, with approx half of that in the last 2 years of the Brown govt.

#6 meow

meow

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:20 AM

Baja has been closed for ages, god knows why, maybe holding the exact same night every single night for X years people start to figure out it's a bit rubbish... naaah, the average person isn't that clever! Although I didn't know buffalo joes had gone!!! No surprise though, I think it was the point that you had to pay to get in. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!! How I laughed, I remember the first time I walked across there to find you had to pay, on the walk back over the swing bridge I seem to remember commenting "I'll give that place 6 months" and never went there again....

I imagine it just follows on from the general down turn of the quayside, I always thought the main section was a bit ... erm ... "downmarket" compared to saaaaay central, I have to wonder if sea is still going. The quayside bar down there was and is still quite good.
MEOW - Mortgage Equity Over Withdrawal

A woman phoned in today to say there was a house price crash coming, don't worry, there isn't....

#7 Quokka

Quokka

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:21 PM

I have heard not all councils will allow pubs to go back to being private houses. A big pub near me closed 6 months back and is re-emerging as a Southern Co-op small supermarket with flats above. The food and drink license remained in place. BH15 area.
I think the Tesco Express type outfits will be eyeing the bigger closed-down pubs in high density areas with great interest.

Thanks for replies. I suspected there may be problems with planning permission. I suppose it would be best to approach the council before purchasing. The funny thing is that you could live in them anyway as they mostly have accommodation attached. Living in the existing accommodation while renting the ground floor as retail could also be an alternative.

Very difficult to get permission, and lengthy process. In simple terms, councils regard them as local amenities and so they have to spend years doing all sorts of community needs assessments to prove that no-one else wants to use it for a community activity. During the years they spend doing that, you can be sure they'll find some group that needs a local facility of some sort.

How can the council offer the place to community groups if its privately owned?

#8 StuM82

StuM82

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:54 PM

Baja has been closed for ages, god knows why, maybe holding the exact same night every single night for X years people start to figure out it's a bit rubbish... naaah, the average person isn't that clever! Although I didn't know buffalo joes had gone!!! No surprise though, I think it was the point that you had to pay to get in. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!! How I laughed, I remember the first time I walked across there to find you had to pay, on the walk back over the swing bridge I seem to remember commenting "I'll give that place 6 months" and never went there again....

I imagine it just follows on from the general down turn of the quayside, I always thought the main section was a bit ... erm ... "downmarket" compared to saaaaay central, I have to wonder if sea is still going. The quayside bar down there was and is still quite good.

It was never that likely to last since Baja closed as it was somewhere to go on the way to Baja. I can't see many people trekking over the bridge just to go there. Love the optimism of the auction link, "No direct approach may be made to the business", erm, I think you'll find I can do whatever the fook I want not that anyone who isn't insane will be interested. I'm sure it'll be one of many more closures on the Quayside.

#9 rich1234

rich1234

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:34 AM

It was never that likely to last since Baja closed as it was somewhere to go on the way to Baja. I can't see many people trekking over the bridge just to go there. Love the optimism of the auction link, "No direct approach may be made to the business", erm, I think you'll find I can do whatever the fook I want not that anyone who isn't insane will be interested. I'm sure it'll be one of many more closures on the Quayside.

875K for the Buffalo Joes building freehold - hang on a minute, you could probably squeeze 10 "luxury flats" into there - got to be worth 300K each :lol: :D
Weekly planning applications at Gateshead Council

Labour Government spending orgy. Government debt was slowly reducing towards 300 billion under the John Major government, but the last 10 years have seen it grow to almost 900 billion, with approx half of that in the last 2 years of the Brown govt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users