6 replies to this topic

#1 BristolBuyer

BristolBuyer

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:52 AM

Although I'm not elderly or infirm, I'm considering buying a bungalow.

Assuming I pay the "market price", whatever that is, is it likely to be more difficult to sell later on, given that the market for them is probably more limited than that for houses?

Anything else to watch out for?

#2 Georgia O'Keeffe

Georgia O'Keeffe

Fondue NOT Raclette

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,467 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:06 AM

Assuming I pay the "market price", whatever that is, is it likely to be more difficult to sell later on, given that the market for them is probably more limited than that for houses?

an interesting question, i would think over the last few years they have been a poor performer mainly because of the housing boom, alot of property has been seen for its investment potential, (so terraced houses, for conversion potential and flats have been popular) but i would guess that bungalows will be one of the types of place that holds value best relatively in the bear market due to them being detached which i think will be seen as a big positive going forward, also i think new wealth is going to be hard to come by for nearly all, some already retired pensioners (the UK has a huge popn demographic timebomb of retirees in the next few years) may be able to retain a certain wealth and even if they cant if their only wealth is paid for property then downsizing to a bungalow would not be a bad idea. If amenities are close by i dont think a bungalow would be the worst type of property to purchase, probably one of the better.

Of course its all relative because personally i think all property is going to take a bath

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka, 23 January 2010 - 08:19 AM.

#3 Pauly_Boy

Pauly_Boy

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

Don't let the word 'Bungalow' put you off.

They generally have big plots of land, a drive way, simple to maintain (only one level) and they're usually detached. I'd buy one with out thinking twice if I found one I liked!
"And fairness extends across the generations, for what is fair about forcing the next generation to pay for the debts of our generation?" George Osborne , 17-Aug-2010

#4 Harbour Lad

Harbour Lad

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:32 AM

With people living longer, and the generous plot sizes echoing what Pauly says above I think they should outperform the rest of the market. An awful lot of old relics 'would benefit from some refurbishment' ie not touched in 30 years around though if bright pink or sky blue bathroom suites are your thing!

#5 Mr Punter

Mr Punter

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:54 AM

I am building a large (4 bed 3 bath 210m2) modern bungalow as a spec development. I think there are quite a few wealthy older people / those with older / disabled family who are looking for somewhere on one level with flexible accommodation. Another point is that you are not so constrained with the uses for rooms (upstairs = bedroom, downstairs = living room).

#6 fix

fix

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:56 AM

Are you thinking about this one --
http://www.rightmove...=&auction=false

Level of traffic on this road is terrible on the morning. And calming measure (curb extension) is almost opposite the property. Look at the stone wall, in
some places it is black of fumes. However, it is solid built and rooms are of good size (by UK standards :) )

Guys, do you think 125K would be a good offer for this property? or too much?

#7 winkie

winkie

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,365 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:15 PM

Question to buying a bungalow........go for it, forget about what others may say and the lack of street cred, all be it surrounded with the over 50+, knowing there will always be caring employment. ;) You will get more land and more scope to add value than many types of property, it could well turn out to be one of the best investments you could make.
What you don't owe won't worry you.

Less can be more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users