• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tiggerdoo&see

tiggerdoo&see

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • About Me:Being an out doors lass... I enjoy everything out doors :)

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:35 AM

Just a quick post from Harrogate. I have lived here for over 23 years, prices are high, still too high even after the so called price dip. I wanted to say that over the last few weeks EA boards are on the up, I drive to and from work daily and pass at least one every few hundred yards or so. What cheered me up was the clear reduction in many homes that have been stuck on the market for 8 months or so. Still over priced Id say but hey, we're seeing a positive shift for the first time buyers where figures are concerned.

I do not really care for speculation, although I do enjoy reading this forum, but when I notice not just a flurry of small homes (say the 140 to 190) but major homes (3 houses on a street of only 6, priced over 300 suddenly with for sale boards) I do begin to wonder what the rush is to sell? Do they know something I dont? Would these sellers not usually wait until March to put a property on the market.

#2 the end is a bit nigher

the end is a bit nigher

I am NOT Anthea Turner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:23 AM

There are individual bargains if you look around. The one I am getting (as I keep telling people) is 16% above its 2002 sale price so seemed a reasonable deal, although I suspect the 2002 sale price was rather high for the time.
Ok, we were right all along. It doesn't make the resulting outcome any less uncomfortable though.

Gold is a metal, not a currency. Gold is denominated in dollars. It's price in other currencies is related to the dollar exchange rate with those currencies.

Nothing I have stated above should be taken as financial advice as I am not qualified or authorised to provide financial advice other than to myself

#3 stu531

stu531

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:38 PM

Hi, good and interesting post...

There are more houses going up; a few are selling, but in general it's a good sign that there is supply coming onto the market. Globrix has a number of houses dropping down in price. A friend of mine was surprised that an EA had priced their new house a little lower than expected, so there is definitely the feeling that prices are on a downward trend in the area.

Harrogate is always going to be a strange spot though - it never suffered a massive drop last time round, and there will always be a demand because of the schools. But there are pockets where there aren't so many sales.

#4 tiggerdoo&see

tiggerdoo&see

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • About Me:Being an out doors lass... I enjoy everything out doors :)

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:22 PM

Just an update, we sold our house last year after a terrible time of two chains falling through. Three estate agents wouldnt take it on as it had no curb appeal (we had a 4 bed detached, garage, etc) and said their books were overflowing... in other words unless we sold our home for way under the market value, it wouldnt budge. We are very realistic and have moved plenty of times in the past.. so we did actually want the value and nothing more, even at this we'd lost nearly 30 grand! (yep we bought in bubble)
We finally found a EA who placed our property on the books for just under the value. We sold for 10% under the asking price after all this. Pleased to be out the market TBH now, but in all honesty another move is still on the cards.

I am angry about the hype in the papers about house prices apparently going up!!! Okay, where is this happening?? London, down south? Why the scare mongering to the overall public when this rise is no way spread outwards to the North. Only in one area of the UK.

Anyway back to why Im posting this, we are renting atm, and the house we're living in was on the market last year for nearly 300,000, we were told after 8 months or so, they reduced it by 50,000, and now it barely touches 200, 000. We live in a very desired area.. dont want to say much more as I dont know who reads this lol.

Just found out a close neighbour is selling their property, excellent location as with this one, they went through 3 EA's before finding one who would sell thier house for something near 200,000 mark. The EA's wouldnt touch it unless they could see it selling fast, and these homes are worth much more than what the EA has it up for!! I do hope to buy this year, as this house we're in is also back on the market when our lease ends summer 2010.

All conflicting advice, one says property is on the up and buy now, another and the facts point otherwise.. :blink:

Food for though eh. ;)

I know in the big scheme of life, buying and money is nothing, to being safe and healthy. But I wanted to share this with you lol.

#5 stu531

stu531

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:34 AM

Just an update, we sold our house last year after a terrible time of two chains falling through. Three estate agents wouldnt take it on as it had no curb appeal (we had a 4 bed detached, garage, etc) and said their books were overflowing... in other words unless we sold our home for way under the market value, it wouldnt budge. We are very realistic and have moved plenty of times in the past.. so we did actually want the value and nothing more, even at this we'd lost nearly 30 grand! (yep we bought in bubble)
We finally found a EA who placed our property on the books for just under the value. We sold for 10% under the asking price after all this. Pleased to be out the market TBH now, but in all honesty another move is still on the cards.

I am angry about the hype in the papers about house prices apparently going up!!! Okay, where is this happening?? London, down south? Why the scare mongering to the overall public when this rise is no way spread outwards to the North. Only in one area of the UK.

Anyway back to why Im posting this, we are renting atm, and the house we're living in was on the market last year for nearly 300,000, we were told after 8 months or so, they reduced it by 50,000, and now it barely touches 200, 000. We live in a very desired area.. dont want to say much more as I dont know who reads this lol.

Just found out a close neighbour is selling their property, excellent location as with this one, they went through 3 EA's before finding one who would sell thier house for something near 200,000 mark. The EA's wouldnt touch it unless they could see it selling fast, and these homes are worth much more than what the EA has it up for!! I do hope to buy this year, as this house we're in is also back on the market when our lease ends summer 2010.

All conflicting advice, one says property is on the up and buy now, another and the facts point otherwise.. :blink:

Food for though eh. ;)

I know in the big scheme of life, buying and money is nothing, to being safe and healthy. But I wanted to share this with you lol.

Very, very interesting Tigger. This is completely contrary to the constant ramping in the Advertiser and the constant talk from the EAs. I guess you don't live so far from me - and I monitor the situation in Harrogate very closely, so I'd be interested as to where your house is! (We might have viewed it...) - but well done on selling it, anyway - stressful time in a bizarre market.

We're renting too, and have been for a year since we sold ours. We lost a bit on ours too, as we bought in the bubble. Still, we're hoping at some point that it will drop enough to buy somewhere in the area.

Some of the houses that had been on the market for a while are at SSTC - others have been taken off the market. We considered one last year, and made an offer, but the seller hadn't found a house they were interested in, so didn't formally accept our offer. We had a change in circumstance, so we couldn't buy theirs, and I believe they took it off the market to improve/expand.

Good luck with your situation! S

#6 Cicero

Cicero

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

Just a quick post from Harrogate. I have lived here for over 23 years, prices are high, still too high even after the so called price dip. I wanted to say that over the last few weeks EA boards are on the up, I drive to and from work daily and pass at least one every few hundred yards or so. What cheered me up was the clear reduction in many homes that have been stuck on the market for 8 months or so. Still over priced Id say but hey, we're seeing a positive shift for the first time buyers where figures are concerned.

I do not really care for speculation, although I do enjoy reading this forum, but when I notice not just a flurry of small homes (say the 140 to 190) but major homes (3 houses on a street of only 6, priced over 300 suddenly with for sale boards) I do begin to wonder what the rush is to sell? Do they know something I dont? Would these sellers not usually wait until March to put a property on the market.

A lot of HG residents work in legal / accounting sector in Leeds. Suspect redundancy might be a reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users