#1 Ski Bum

Ski Bum

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • About Me:Skiing and Property.

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:37 AM

Is anyone looking at buying in these areas at the moment? What are your opinions on these areas?

I like Chorlton and am looking at buying here but prices dont seem to have come down much really.

#2 Nomadd

Nomadd

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:02 AM

Is anyone looking at buying in these areas at the moment? What are your opinions on these areas?

I like Chorlton and am looking at buying here but prices dont seem to have come down much really.

As I mentioned in the other thread: My cousin has just sold in Didsbury. Dropped just under 20% from her original asking price - been stuck on the market for 2 years - but I still feel she's got a very good deal as she bought years ago (..and has now got out at the right time; she plans on renting for a couple of years.)

I wouldn't confuse asking prices with selling prices.

Also, looking at the state of the economy and the enormous cutbacks planned by both Labour and the conservatives after the election, plus the inevitable climb in interest rates over the next year, I'd say hold fire for a while and rent. Still, your call.

Cheers,

Nomadd
Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home.

#3 Chicken

Chicken

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:36 AM

Obviously Didsbury is nicer than Chorlton but the premium asked for being just down the road is too high in my opinion.

#4 Ski Bum

Ski Bum

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:06 PM

Obviously Didsbury is nicer than Chorlton but the premium asked for being just down the road is too high in my opinion.

Hi Chicken, I'm coming to the opposite conclusion. Didsbury is certainly smart but Chorlton Green (the area round the Horse and Jockey pub) is in my view the nicest part of South Manchester. Chorlton has the best bars and food shops. As regards Dibsbury I like the West Didsbury area better than the main village.

Nomadd, Thanks for the "wait and see" tactic. I used that one in 2009....and got shafted! Flats that i were looking at in 2007/8 for 160k could have been got for 145k last year...now they are back up at near 160k again (sales prices). The local market has been slowly gathering momentum for the last 6 mths and is only going in one direction now... very slowly upwards.

#5 Chicken

Chicken

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:15 AM

The quality of any area is down to personal opinion. If you prefer Chorlton then it's a win-win for you - "nicer" area AND cheaper properties.

If you think the overall market is fairly valued (which I don't) then Chorlton does not strike me as unreasonable.

#6 hirop

hirop

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:25 AM

Chorlton for me, every day of the week. Around the green is just bonzer - these seem to have sold well recently and unfortunately in the past 3\4 months the asking prices have been swinging up the way (anecdotally). It's the only area I watch where I have seen this (and I watch everything from stockport\cheadle all the way across to brooklands, altringham\sale up the way to chorlton and firswood, swinton up to radcliffe).

I also like that if you can't afford to live there (as a ftb it's about 30-40K more than I'm happy with for the terraces) at least you can live within sight of the blockbuster for 120K(ish, asking).

I'm resigned to putting it all down to experience, keeping my head down, staying on the bear food diet for another year and assess things from there. I know the greedy banksters want my deposit to cushion their upcoming loses, but I'm not willing to play ball yet.

#7 Tyler

Tyler

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:59 PM

I've lived (and owned homes) in both Didsbury and Chorlton and like them both. To be honest there's a pretty simple formula for deciding which one to choose (assuming you are a young professional). If you are slightly left leaning and work in the public sector then you belong in Chorlton. If you are thrusting young lawyer or accountant you live in Didsbury. If you are in IT, marketing or something else not defined above then its a bit more tricky and depends on which newspaper you read; quantity of ethnic clothing or designer labels owned; type of beer drunk etc, etc.

I now live in Whalley Range; I work in IT, read the Independent, own neither caftan nor designer labels, am generally left leaning but am prone to the occassioanl outburst about doley scum etc, so I wasn't sure which camp I belonged in. As a result I'm much happier here than anywhere previously. Despite its reputation its a great place to live (even disregarding the difference in house prices) especially if you stay in the triangle bound by College Road, Upper Chorlton Road and Withington Road. Its quieter than either Didsbury or Chorlton, its closer to town, there seem to be no scallies hanging around and there seems to be less low level crime (that said there do seem to be a few murders). There are a couple of great places to eat and drink. I also notice that the northen end of Manchester Road is improving, whilst still very much Chorlton it is pretty close to me. Mind you most of these shops strike me as hobby shops and cafes run by Yummy Mummies rather than serious business ventures so it remains to be seen how long they last.

If I was making my choice again I'd still choose Whalley Range over anywhere else so you should at least take a wander around to see if you like it.

#8 Ski Bum

Ski Bum

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

Hi Tyler,

Thats a great analysis of the area!! Yes Whalley Range does seem to be a nice area as well (and a good 10% cheaper than Chorlton). Its got larger more inetresting properties, big tree lined streets and generally more space and a nicer feel than Didsbury. Its also more multi cultural, which i like, and not as sterile as Didsbury. The more time i spend round Didsbury the more i prefer Chorlton/Whalley Range. Ive viewed a few really smart flats in Chorlton recently and am doing a second viewing on one on Zetland Rd later today, which is a road i think is very nice.

Am i right in thinking that other than the bars round Palmeros, theres only The Whalley (which you need a body guard to go into) in Whalley Range, or is there something i'm missing?

#9 Tyler

Tyler

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:23 PM

(and a good 10% cheaper than Chorlton). ......................a second viewing on one on Zetland Rd later today, which is a road i think is very nice.

Am i right in thinking that other than the bars round Palmeros, theres only The Whalley (which you need a body guard to go into) in Whalley Range, or is there something i'm missing?

Only 10%? I should sell my house now, I thought it wa more than that!

I don't know Zetland itself but certainly Torbay and Dartmouth Roads are very nice and you shouldn't go wrong there.

I've not been in the Whalley so can't comment (although that in itself should tell you something about it!) but yes the pubs I was thinking of are the Hillary Step and Jam Street. You can alos get a drink at the Carlton Club whihc has folk nights and Home on the Range night etc.

i don't have a downer on Didsbury, its great but I'm probably too old to enjoy the night life there now so there!

#10 Ski Bum

Ski Bum

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:04 AM

Yeh, you're right actually. Its probably more like 20-25% rather than 10%. I'm looking at a very nice and big 2 bed flat on Zetland Rd for 160,000. I'm sure it would be circa 130,000 in Whalley Range.

That Palmiros place has great food but was looking pretty tired when i was there. Its a shame, the bloke who runs it was good fun.

#11 hirop

hirop

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:14 PM

this chorlton property is totally giving me the hump. it's a two bed terrace ffs for a quarter million. went sstc twice in about 3\4 weeks. I don't even like the place, just put on my rightmove list for a laugh. who can afford to buy that? down-sizers don't go and live in 'organic' chorlton, surely a youngish couple would need a unbelievably huge deposit to entertain that house.

makes for very frustrating viewing.

#12 SarahBell

SarahBell

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,844 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:38 PM

It's not sold until it's sold.

Blinking insanity of it though.
Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

#13 jfk

jfk

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:58 PM

this chorlton property is totally giving me the hump. it's a two bed terrace ffs for a quarter million. went sstc twice in about 3\4 weeks. I don't even like the place, just put on my rightmove list for a laugh. who can afford to buy that? down-sizers don't go and live in 'organic' chorlton, surely a youngish couple would need a unbelievably huge deposit to entertain that house.

:blink: at that place

how overpriced?

#14 Guest_theboltonfury_*

Guest_theboltonfury_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:07 PM

Chorlton is full of people that live the life of the eternal, mature, student.

'Would you like another drink?'

'Yes please, green tea. I'll be in the corner reading Anna Karenina in my courdroy trousers'

#15 hirop

hirop

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:15 PM

woopsies, "land of broken chains" strikes again. Failed to complete.

08 July 2010

* Status changed: from 'Sold STC' to 'Available' [Found by n/a]

24 May 2010

* Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Sold STC' [Found by n/a]

11 May 2010

* Status changed: from 'Sold STC' to 'Available' [Found by n/a]

08 May 2010

* Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Sold STC' [Found by n/a]

24 April 2010

* Initial entry found. [Found by n/a]

Edited by hirop, 11 July 2010 - 10:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users