25 replies to this topic

#1 The Bachelor of Arts

The Bachelor of Arts

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:18 PM

I'm in Phuket at the moment learning to kite-board as part of my summer holiday. I was accosted today by a local girl selling property. In return for going to a 90 min seminar, I will get a prize (a camera or something like that), and she will get $70 commission. I'm keen to go for two reasons:

1. I want her to get a commission, as the people here don't earn much, have a work ethic that we would be ashamed of, and are very nice.
2. I know about economics, bubbles, credit contraction and of couse HPC. So I want to chat with these estate agents.

I'll go over the next couple of days, so if anyone is interested in the resultant conversation, then post/bump and I'll give you an update.

My thoughts so far:

I've driven around the island in a hire car, and gone to some out of the way villages near the coast. All of these areas have new developments on them, which on their own are OK, but they are so generic when a group of 'villas' are put together in a gated village next to a local (v poor) one.

Most of the people here are Aussie (with a spattering of UK) holiday makers, and so I guess must be the target market for these 'developers'. The locals can't afford the $500k for a basic villa so it is reliant upon the foreign market to keep this new housing market buoyant. This is the same (or similar) foreign buyers who would MEW, and buy on credit. I think we all know the movie here.....

So my tactic is the following:

Find out who the market is.
Find out how the villas/flats are financed buy the buyers.
Find out how the property developers are financed.
Ask the estate agents to convince me why this isn't a repeat of Eastern Europe, Miami, or Spain.
Sit back and watch these wide-boys get flustered.
Tell them that I'll buy in 3 years time, for cash. Either from a distressed seller, or from the bankruptcy court when their company goes under.
Claim my free gift.
Ensure local girl gets her $70 commission.

Anyone fancy watching the fireworks???

<_< :o <_<

#2 this_prisoner_is_opting_out

this_prisoner_is_opting_out

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:45 PM

You're unlikely to get a prize - I've worked in this "area". The girl is unlikely to get her "commission" either - want to help? Give her a fiver for shopping.

#3 athe

athe

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:55 PM

If I remember rightly it is difficult or impossible for a non-Thai to own property in Thailand, so that probably scews things too (as in I imagine that you are buying a right to use the property rather than the property itself).

I went to one of these things in the Dominican Republic once, just to see if they are as bad as you hear. They are. Very high pressure, often several salesman per client. Don't expect the 'prize' to be much.
Unitam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant

#4 Rachman

Rachman

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:03 PM

You're unlikely to get a prize - I've worked in this "area". The girl is unlikely to get her "commission" either - want to help? Give her a fiver for shopping.

she won't get the commission - it's part of her patter to appeal to reasonable people. If you want to give her $70 for doing something else, she'll see the money. Otherwise, it's blollocks.

#5 Discopants

Discopants

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:18 PM

I did this in Phuket a few years ago. As like you, I wanted the nice girl from Laos to get the cash which was $50 at the time, but it was high season. So long as you sit through at least an hours worth of hard sell she will get the cash. I got a few beers from the salesgirl the day after ;) .
I'll bet you win a baseball type cap with the companys logo on it (or maybe a T shirt) and you'll also get a voucher for a weeks stay in one of thier resorts, which must be taken within 1 year, and as part of the terms and conditions you also have to sit through another hours hardsell.

You can't buy free hold property in Thailand as a farang. but you can get lease hold.

edit to add last sentence.

Edited by Discopants, 23 July 2009 - 03:20 PM.

#6 bkkandrew

bkkandrew

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:23 PM

Having lived in Thailand now for 10-years and speaking fluent Thai, I can assure you of two things:

1. The girl won't get any cash.

2. You won't any free gift of any worth.

You will also be bored shitless and if you expect for them to listen to any of your views on the property market (or any other subject) you are delusional.

#7 BROF

BROF

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:24 PM

Under Thai law, it is illegal for a foreigner to own land in Thailand.
That on its own should be enough to put anyone off

#8 GordonBrownSpentMyFuture

GordonBrownSpentMyFuture

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:37 PM

I can only agree with the others.

They won't thank you for not buying anything and you won't thank yourself for wasting nearly 2 hours of your holiday there.

Go to the beach or have a nice lie in instead.

#9 righttoleech

righttoleech

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:40 PM

prepare to be shafted

#10 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,964 posts
  • About Me:Vote LABOURTORY. You have no choice!

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:05 PM

Stop off here...

Posted Image

And pick Scaramanga's Solex Agitator please.

Don't leave your seaplane unattended and beware of a very short man in bowler hat!

Edited by HostPaul TAFKA Rover2000, 23 July 2009 - 05:06 PM.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

#11 swissy_fit

swissy_fit

HPC Guru

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,523 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:13 PM

I'm in Phuket at the moment learning to kite-board as part of my summer holiday. I was accosted today by a local girl selling property. In return for going to a 90 min seminar, I will get a prize (a camera or something like that), and she will get $70 commission. I'm keen to go for two reasons:

1. I want her to get a commission, as the people here don't earn much, have a work ethic that we would be ashamed of, and are very nice.
2. I know about economics, bubbles, credit contraction and of couse HPC. So I want to chat with these estate agents.

I'll go over the next couple of days, so if anyone is interested in the resultant conversation, then post/bump and I'll give you an update.

My thoughts so far:

I've driven around the island in a hire car, and gone to some out of the way villages near the coast. All of these areas have new developments on them, which on their own are OK, but they are so generic when a group of 'villas' are put together in a gated village next to a local (v poor) one.

Most of the people here are Aussie (with a spattering of UK) holiday makers, and so I guess must be the target market for these 'developers'. The locals can't afford the $500k for a basic villa so it is reliant upon the foreign market to keep this new housing market buoyant. This is the same (or similar) foreign buyers who would MEW, and buy on credit. I think we all know the movie here.....

So my tactic is the following:

Find out who the market is.
Find out how the villas/flats are financed buy the buyers.
Find out how the property developers are financed.
Ask the estate agents to convince me why this isn't a repeat of Eastern Europe, Miami, or Spain.
Sit back and watch these wide-boys get flustered.
Tell them that I'll buy in 3 years time, for cash. Either from a distressed seller, or from the bankruptcy court when their company goes under.
Claim my free gift.
Ensure local girl gets her $70 commission.

Anyone fancy watching the fireworks???

<_< :o <_<

Something tells me she's a stunner.
Have you cut a deal - I go to the crap seminar and listen to the hard sell, you have dinner with me?
Then YOU go for the hard sell. ;)
If you want to know what the next political move will be, ask yourself what will suit the banks, and behold, the answer will come to you.

The Credit Crunch :
The logical financial outcome is deflation. The logical political outcome is inflation. (Thanks to Injin 21st Sept 2008)

#12 Dave Spart

Dave Spart

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:28 PM

They're running the same scam in Pattaya and Bali.

Lemme guess - a couple of nice girls come up to you in the street and offer you a glossy envelope you rip open along the sides? Inside it says you've won a prize but have to go collect? Wise up.

Think back to a few weeks ago while you were still slaving away in your job dreaming of your holiday.

Remember what you imagined you'd be doing and go do those things. Don't let them take control and ruin your trip.

Edited by Dave Spart, 23 July 2009 - 05:41 PM.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

#13 Dave Spart

Dave Spart

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:30 PM

Under Thai law, it is illegal for a foreigner to own land in Thailand.
That on its own should be enough to put anyone off

Yep, you can own a condo but not land.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

#14 JoeDavola

JoeDavola

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:37 PM

Stop off here...

Posted Image

And pick Scaramanga's Solex Agitator please.

Don't leave your seaplane unattended and beware of a very short man in bowler hat!

Whereabouts in Thailand is this?

#15 Dave Spart

Dave Spart

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:43 PM

Whereabouts in Thailand is this?

From wikipedia

The scenes featuring the island hideout of Scaramanga were filmed in Phang Nga Province in Thailand, northeast of Phuket on the island of Ko Khao Phing Kan (Thai: เกาะเขาพิงกัน) and the adjacent Ko Tapu (Thai: เกาะตะปู). Scaramanga's hideout is on Ko Khao Phing Kan, and Ko Tapu is often now referred to as James Bond Island both by locals and in tourist guidebooks.[10] Both islands are significant tourists attractions in the area. The site was hit hard by a tsunami following the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake.[11]

Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users