Photo

Where Do You Stand?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: Where do you stand? (125 member(s) have cast votes)

Many people on here have different financial and political agenda's. For example, most wish for lower house prices, but struggling homeowners wish the opposite. For any given situation, where there is a winner there is a corresponding loser(s). For example, cheap home for you = dispossed family, whose kids will probably get bullied at school for being povvy scum. Personally I'm happy to admit that I'm a selfish g1t who is cheering on the biggest financial collapse in history. Which I hope will ulitmately be accompanied by a period of hyperinflation and/or major currency devaluation, leaving me a big winner at many others expenses, as I have a relatively large stake (for someone of my means) in physical gold. So where do you lot stand?

1. I'd rather the status quo of pre-2007 was maintained, I hate to see people lose everything they've worked for, even if it means life is harder for me in the long-run as a consequence. (12 votes [9.23%])

Percentage of vote: 9.23%

2. I'm happy to see a few unfortunate people at the margin suffer if it means a cheaper housing and a better quality of life for me, it was there own fault for taking on too much debt anyway. (54 votes [41.54%])

Percentage of vote: 41.54%

3. Slash and burn baby!!! I'm riding this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to early-retirement. I was sensible in the pre-2007 years while all those other greedy-suckers lost their heads. So screw them, I'm going to clean up at their expense, it's their own stupid fault. (64 votes [49.23%])

Percentage of vote: 49.23%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 General Congreve

General Congreve

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:50 PM

Discuss.
3 Predictions for 2011 - made in response to Realist Bear's request for HPCers to put 3 predictions for the coming year in their signature.
1. Bond yields to steadily increase across the Western world. - Greece! Ireland! Portugal! Italy! Spain!
2. Eurozone debt crisis, resulting in dissolution of the Euro (at least as we know it). - Greece! Ireland! Portugal! Italy! Spain!
3. Gold and Silver to continue their ascent at an increasing pace (averaging out short term volatility) from that in 2010. - $1603/Oz (July) and $50/Oz (May)
4. And one for luck - A global stock market crash, most likely to happen in the first half of the year.
Wobbly - but more QE probably on the way to FIX it

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 LuckyOne

LuckyOne

HPC Fundi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:55 PM

The option that I would choose is :

Let asset prices go to the level that the fundamentals support. Governments have no business trying to prop up prices. The the prudent and astute thrive. Let the reckless and foolish suffer.

Edited by LuckyOne, 16 July 2009 - 12:55 PM.

#3 Lepista

Lepista

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,497 posts
  • About Me:A 60% falls from peak bear.

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:56 PM

A rather loaded poll. Pointless, really.

House prices will be 40% of peak prices by the time this has finished, but it's ok, because they will be just as (un)affordable as they always have been, due to high interest rates. Woe betide anybody with a large loan.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing sedates rationality like large doses of effortless money. After a heady experience of that kind, normally sensible behaviour drift into behaviour akin to that of Cinderella at the ball. They know that overstaying the festivities...will eventually bring on pumpkins and mice. But they nevertheless hate to miss a single minute of what is a helluva party. Therefore, the giddy participants all plan to leave just seconds before midnight. There's a problem, though: They are dancing in a room in which the clocks have no hands."

My favorite post ever:
By Ruffles the Guinea Pig

#4 twatmangle

twatmangle

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:56 PM

Discuss.

No prizes for guessing the outcome of this vote. HPCers are more inclined towards cash rich asset poor.

I am not afraid of the current financial situation - I am scared of the remedy. As foolhardy as it appears, they will try it.
I have nothing to say....

#5 General Congreve

General Congreve

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:57 PM

Good, good. An early lead for the hyenas. Nice to know I'm not alone in wishing poverty upon the world at large to further my own ends. We can all go to hell and party together.
3 Predictions for 2011 - made in response to Realist Bear's request for HPCers to put 3 predictions for the coming year in their signature.
1. Bond yields to steadily increase across the Western world. - Greece! Ireland! Portugal! Italy! Spain!
2. Eurozone debt crisis, resulting in dissolution of the Euro (at least as we know it). - Greece! Ireland! Portugal! Italy! Spain!
3. Gold and Silver to continue their ascent at an increasing pace (averaging out short term volatility) from that in 2010. - $1603/Oz (July) and $50/Oz (May)
4. And one for luck - A global stock market crash, most likely to happen in the first half of the year.

#6 General Congreve

General Congreve

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:59 PM

A rather loaded poll. Pointless, really.

Perhaps, but there is a soft option in the second choice. I really wanted to judge how evil everyone was and it seems most of you passed the test with flying colours!

#7 General Congreve

General Congreve

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:00 PM

No prizes for guessing the outcome of this vote. HPCers are more inclined towards cash rich asset poor.

I am not afraid of the current financial situation - I am scared of the remedy. As foolhardy as it appears, they will try it.

On the contrary, the remedy is just what I'm hoping for, bring on the hyperinflation.

#8 General Congreve

General Congreve

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:05 PM

Oh dear, looks like you're not all as hardcore as I thought you were, we're seeing a significant minority go for the halfway house 'soft' option.

And who voted for the first choice?!?!?! Is that you Hamish?

#9 twatmangle

twatmangle

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:06 PM

On the contrary, the remedy is just what I'm hoping for, bring on the hyperinflation.

You won't like it. I can promise you that.

I have a good amount of physical gold too, but I don't wish for it. I would prefer deflation 'cash is king'.
I have nothing to say....

#10 General Congreve

General Congreve

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:08 PM

You won't like it. I can promise you that.

I have a good amount of physical gold too, but I don't wish for it. I would prefer deflation 'cash is king'.

You could well be right, some contrarians believe deflation is actually more bullish than hyperinflation for gold.

Edited by General Congreve, 16 July 2009 - 01:09 PM.

#11 tim123

tim123

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:10 PM

I'm happy to see a few unfortunate people at the margin suffer if it means a cheaper housing and a more stable economy.

#12 General Congreve

General Congreve

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:11 PM

I'm happy to see a few unfortunate people at the margin suffer if it means a cheaper housing and a more stable economy.

I'm afraid you can't join my 'Fully Evil' club then Tim123, you only get a 'must try harder' report card.

#13 Johnny Storm

Johnny Storm

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:13 PM

Im sure a lot of us warned people what was going to happen, and did people listen? Nope. So why should we care now?

Lifes a bitch :lol:

#14 General Congreve

General Congreve

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:14 PM

Im sure a lot of us warned people what was going to happen, and did people listen? Nope. So why should we care now?

Lifes a bitch :lol:

That's the attitude. See Tim123, this is what you need to be aspiring too.

#15 General Congreve

General Congreve

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:24 PM

Well, it seems after 34 votes, which I think is a reasonable sample size considering the number of active HPCers, the evil ones out number the softies by very nearly 2 to 1.

So, like a bunch of modern day highwaymen mercilessly torturing their victims, before violently slitting their throats and making off with the loot, the mawkish EVIL ONES have it.

Onward to the bottom of the crash and the spoils it may bring!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users