371 replies to this topic

#1 interestrateripoff

interestrateripoff

Carry on banking.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 47,988 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:21 PM

I'm currently putting all the money I find on the street in a jar and paying it off my mortgage.

Today was the first time I've got £1 in 2p so I've been and paid it off, along with 80p in 10p.

So far I'd paid off £3.50 in pound coins and 50ps. Although that was really £3.52 as I found another 2p on the way to the bank to pay it in.

Not filled the 1p bag yet and I'm probably about £3 short of 5ps.

Obviously I'm also overpaying by larger amounts but every penny counts.

Over the length of the mortgage all of these pennies will add up.

Although the wife does think I'm a bit insane and I don't think she'd take the pennies into the bank.

Over the lifetime of the mortgage I expect to pay off several hundred pounds this way.

Proof that Brown had repeated IMF / OECD / BIS warnings over house prices and did nothing!!!
Looting: The Economic Underworld Of Bankruptcy For Profit
The exponential growth of debt and the unsustainability of debt
The logic of HPI @ 10% YoY means your £100k house would be worth £1.38bn in 100 years
Paying down my mortgage with money found on the street

It's time to sue the Bank of England / Federal Reserve for GROSS NEGLIGENCE
If DEBT is the problem REPAYMENT is the solution or you default

"The trouble with the world was that prices were so low that only the rich people could buy and the aim of the Conference was to raise them to a point where it would again be possible for poor people to buy something."

"Northern unemployment is an acceptable price to pay for curbing southern inflation" Eddie George former Governor of the Bank of England

New digest on the credit crisis and economy Part2 Part 3

smaller.jpg

#2 darwin

darwin

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:42 PM

I'm currently putting all the money I find on the street in a jar and paying it off my mortgage.

Today was the first time I've got £1 in 2p so I've been and paid it off, along with 80p in 10p.

So far I'd paid off £3.50 in pound coins and 50ps. Although that was really £3.52 as I found another 2p on the way to the bank to pay it in.

Although the wife does think I'm a bit insane and I don't think she'd take the pennies into the bank.

Over the lifetime of the mortgage I expect to pay off several hundred pounds this way.

Could be a shrewd move.

My grandmother got a hefty fine for not having a TV Licence. She started paying off the fine in a similar manner, 87p one week, then maybe £1.32 the next week, 43p the week after. Always a different figure.

In the end they got so tired of her ass they just wrote the fine off themselves.

#3 Fishman

Fishman

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:44 PM

You should have posted this on the 'mundane' thread.

#4 Guest_happy?_*

Guest_happy?_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:51 PM

There's a twelve-step programme for you here:

http://forums.moneys...splay.html?f=98

#5 dr ray

dr ray

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts
  • About Me:Personal finance
    Work
    Work

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:19 PM

Look under park benches and underneath where they chain up the supermarket trolleys. I've often found £1 there.

Also worth dredging ornamental pools in public places as people seem to throw coins in them for some reason. Take the kids with you with a fishing net and pretend you don't realise they are doing it. The cost of the net will pay for itself in minutes and the kids will think you are a great dad for buying it for them.
I was a guinea-pig, he wrote in May 1967. The victim of a totally unsighted and ludicrous experiment in education, the result of which was to harm materially and mentally the guinea-pigs. - Gordon Brown

#6 Dopamine

Dopamine

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:26 PM

Look under park benches and underneath where they chain up the supermarket trolleys. I've often found £1 there.

Also worth dredging ornamental pools in public places as people seem to throw coins in them for some reason. Take the kids with you with a fishing net and pretend you don't realise they are doing it. The cost of the net will pay for itself in minutes and the kids will think you are a great dad for buying it for them.

No offence, but do you do rounds? ;)

#7 Steppenpig

Steppenpig

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:08 PM

You should start a video blog featuring all the interesting places you have found coins. In the coming dark days ahead, you may become a national celebrity and an inspiration to millions of others.

#8 hotairmail

hotairmail

Tired of life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,812 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:18 PM

http://www.telegraph...-man-freed.html

"The chicken is radiating disorder out into the wider universe."

#9 crashologist

crashologist

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:35 PM

Just keep your eyes open for them undated 20p pieces and your mortgage will be paid off in no time.

#10 Guest_happy?_*

Guest_happy?_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:27 PM

Just keep your eyes open for them undated 20p pieces and your mortgage will be paid off in no time.

Bizarrely there's one on eBay for £100,000 - those in the know will get an EF one for about £25 - £30. When the bidding goes beyond £200 you know you're dealing with idiots. Mules are common, asses herd on eBay.

#11 interestrateripoff

interestrateripoff

Carry on banking.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 47,988 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:36 PM

http://www.telegraph...-man-freed.html

Excellent, I'll have to flog the golf balls at a car boot.

I wonder how many of them are sat in banks. It could sort out there need for capital.

They could even rig an auction on ebay and get the bidding up to £100m for a coin and then claim all coins are worth said out suddenly they have all the capital they need for regulation requirements.

Proof that Brown had repeated IMF / OECD / BIS warnings over house prices and did nothing!!!
The logic of HPI @ 10% YoY means your £100k house would be worth £1.38bn in 100 years

"The trouble with the world was that prices were so low that only the rich people could buy and the aim of the Conference was to raise them to a point where it would again be possible for poor people to buy something."

"Northern unemployment is an acceptable price to pay for curbing southern inflation" Eddie George former Governor of the Bank of England

smaller.jpg

#12 interestrateripoff

interestrateripoff

Carry on banking.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 47,988 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:38 PM

Could be a shrewd move.

My grandmother got a hefty fine for not having a TV Licence. She started paying off the fine in a similar manner, 87p one week, then maybe £1.32 the next week, 43p the week after. Always a different figure.

In the end they got so tired of her ass they just wrote the fine off themselves.

Perhaps I should just take each coin in as I find it to pay down the debts then? That could be an interesting tactic I wonder at what point the bank would send me a letter if I kept paying it off that way.

They can't refuse legal tender can they?

Perhaps everyone on HPC should join in and see what happens with thousands of people paying a penny off the mortgage each time.

Just found 3p more in the park. :P

smaller.jpg

#13 dr ray

dr ray

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts
    Work
    Work

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:50 PM

No offence, but do you do rounds? ;)

Not sure what you mean - Ward Rounds?

I use to. Patients often kept loose change on the bedside cabinet to pay for a newspaper and if you were sly enough you could slide the coins into your white coat during the ward round while no one was watching.

Why do you ask? Did you lose change?

I am joking-really
I was a guinea-pig, he wrote in May 1967. The victim of a totally unsighted and ludicrous experiment in education, the result of which was to harm materially and mentally the guinea-pigs. - Gordon Brown

#14 interestrateripoff

interestrateripoff

Carry on banking.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 47,988 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:19 PM

Just paid off £1 in 1p and £1 in 2p that the wife had collected up.

Ended up paying £12.40 in total, £10 was interest from my reward account.

Once I can find out how to set up a paying from by online bank account I can then start to transfer the small amounts of interest from that to my mortgage.

They wouldn't accept my 5p as I hadn't got enough to fill a bag, and I was 2p off being able to give them another bag of 1ps.

Every little helps.

smaller.jpg

#15 dr ray

dr ray

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts
    Work
    Work

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:25 PM

Bizarrely there's one on eBay for £100,000 - those in the know will get an EF one for about £25 - £30. When the bidding goes beyond £200 you know you're dealing with idiots. Mules are common, asses herd on eBay.

I noticed ordinary circulated shield type 20ps being sold on ebay - one went for £6 on 1st July
The seller said the date was on the front and made no claim it was rare or unusual but presumably the buyer thought having a date on the front made this a valuable coin.
Many ordinary 20p coins still for sale on ebay

One born every minute

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users