House Price Crash Forum

Just Paid £1 Off My Mortgage With 2p I've Found On The Floor

HOLA441

I'm a pharisee here and account for every penny I spend. I have not lost any money during the last five years - fact. Most of my purchases are by credit card so I can get the points and pay off the card later the next month whilst earning interest in the meantime.

Latest inspired places for finding money...

• £1 found down the back of the sofa in the pub
  • Coin machines in supermarkets that turn loose change into a coupon - usually stuff round the sides underneath. Last time I could do this when no-one was around I netted a £2 coin and lots of Euro shrapnel!
  • Return coin slots of car park ticket machines. Walked past one the other day; quick check resulted in 55p.

Local swimming pool has changed their lockers and you don't get your money back now! The new lockers cost £1 - bad news if you get to the shower area and found you forgot to bring your shampoo! Valuable source of income now gone :(.

Easy solution - just change in your car, and go into the leisure centre already dressed for swinning. No towel / locker required.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Easy solution - just change in your car, and go into the leisure centre already dressed for swinning. No towel / locker required.

I take the correct amount to pay for the session - no other cash. My wallet and mobile stay at home. So, there's only clothes in my locker, and being an ardent HPCer, I don't splash out (pun intended) on the latest fashion...

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120329/coin-story-ontario-120329/20120329/?hub=TorontoNewHome

Five million quids worth of coins all over the road?

Why aren't rant'nrave and interestrateripoff over there in Canada?

But give that "a significant number of coins have yet to be recovered", said police..."

Have they already been there?

Edited by juvenal

HOLA4415

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120329/coin-story-ontario-120329/20120329/?hub=TorontoNewHome

Five million quids worth of coins all over the road?

Why aren't rant'nrave and interestrateripoff over there in Canada?

But give that "a significant number of coins have yet to be recovered", said police..."

Have they already been there?

:D

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Impressive (and a highly entertaining thread!). That would set you on track for >£100 in a year if it was always like that! :D

Any opinions on future trends? As the talons of recession tighten, will folks be more careful in handling their money?

Or will The Olympics bring a flood of free-spending foreigners to our shores who disdain to retrieve dropped cash?

HOLA4423

Any opinions on future trends? As the talons of recession tighten, will folks be more careful in handling their money?

Some people certainly don't value small change 1p/2p/5p really aren't seen as money and people will happily chuck them on the floor, more I think of people in their teens / early 20's.

Whether that continues is another matter. People don't see the accumulative effect of disposing of these coins.

HOLA4424

If my childhood recollection of the '80s recession is anything to go by they'll be chucking it all over, I recon that because money is so tight they spend more time pulling it out to check how much they have left and therefor lose more in the process.

HOLA4425

If my childhood recollection of the '80s recession is anything to go by they'll be chucking it all over, I recon that because money is so tight they spend more time pulling it out to check how much they have left and therefor lose more in the process.

An interesting theory.

The more times the dwindling cash pile is inspected, the more will inevitably be lost - until total destitution arrives.

Solid thinking - with a welcome whiff of optimism!

Edited by juvenal