House Price Crash Forum

Just Paid £1 Off My Mortgage With 2p I've Found On The Floor

HOLA441

appears my washing machine is proving a good source at the minute, found £4.15 in it yesterday so that will get paid off the mortgage next week.

It's jolly good to find money on the floor - I always feel oddly delighted when someone has e.g. forgotton/not bothered to take their change from the chocolate bar machine and I can profit!

However, to all those (including me) who pick up money - can you be sure that you've found more than you've dropped over the course of the year?

After all, if interestrateripoff found £4.15 of his own money in his washing machine, how much else has been lost for good one way or another...? ;)

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Got a free pound with my trolley yesterday.

:D

Yip, I've spotted the odd trolley abandoned in the corner of a car park that will pay £1 to anyone who returns it to the flock.

Will try slipping in a few rusty 1ps in the bag I've got ready, although some of them are so crusty, it might up the weight :unsure:. The bank staff *did* check the contents of the last bag of coins I handed them :(.

HOLA443

It's jolly good to find money on the floor - I always feel oddly delighted when someone has e.g. forgotton/not bothered to take their change from the chocolate bar machine and I can profit!

However, to all those (including me) who pick up money - can you be sure that you've found more than you've dropped over the course of the year?

After all, if interestrateripoff found £4.15 of his own money in his washing machine, how much else has been lost for good one way or another...? ;)

I hardly have cash on me, and I always empty my pockets

It's the wife's money or my eldest. If I find it in the machine clearly they don't want it. Bad day yesterday when I opened the drain on it only 2p in pennies.

I hardly ever carry money, so I don't lose much. The only money I have on me now is the 2p I found on the floor this morning.

HOLA444

I'm a pharisee here and account for every penny I spend. I have not lost any money during the last five years - fact. Most of my purchases are by credit card so I can get the points and pay off the card later the next month whilst earning interest in the meantime.

Latest inspired places for finding money...

• £1 found down the back of the sofa in the pub
  • Coin machines in supermarkets that turn loose change into a coupon - usually stuff round the sides underneath. Last time I could do this when no-one was around I netted a £2 coin and lots of Euro shrapnel!
  • Return coin slots of car park ticket machines. Walked past one the other day; quick check resulted in 55p.

Local swimming pool has changed their lockers and you don't get your money back now! The new lockers cost £1 - bad news if you get to the shower area and found you forgot to bring your shampoo! Valuable source of income now gone :(.

HOLA445

Just short of £5 so far this year. Blinder of a month in Jan followed by an absolute shocker in Feb. March going well so far though...

Have a £'s worth of 1ps bagged up now and ready to take to the bank.

PS - does anybody know if banks will take really grimy / rusty coins? I have more than a few that are only slightly recognisable!!!

As Don McLean memorably sang "February made me shiver..."*. If he had a bad month, we've all got to take it on the chin!

But Spring's coming, and there's money out there to be found. How do you ensure none of your own money ever goes astray?

*Coin hunting reference in American Pie

Edited by juvenal

HOLA446
HOLA447

How do you ensure none of your own money ever goes astray?

I never carry more than a few quid in coins. As much money as possible is in the bank earning interest (lets not have another discussion about inflation rates here). All coins go in a secure section of my wallet and never in a pocket. I get a receipt for every purchase, so can account for any cash that's gone...

HOLA448
HOLA449

Great start to the day up £1.01.

Lucky with the £1 as it was on the main road, needed a large gap to safely retrieve it.

So, since July 2009, how much have you found in total....? Do you have a breakdown of the finds: denominations, and locations....?

HOLA4410

So, since July 2009, how much have you found in total....? Do you have a breakdown of the finds: denominations, and locations....?

Nope, I got fed up of recording what I found, plus I ended up putting any loose change in the pot that I had.

Although I think barring finding notes I probably find as much as rantnrave about £50-£60 a year. Getting notes if your lucky really boosts that total and can really skew the figures. In 2 days I once found £50 that doesn't happen too often, notes wise I've managed to find over £100 since I started this thread.

So mortgage wise I've paid off at least £200 doing this, which I don't think is too bad a return.

HOLA4411

I usually find pennies more than anything else, then 5ps.

Next up are 20ps and 2ps

Then, 10ps and £ coins

Finally, £2 coins and 50ps are very rare.

I guess this corresponds more with the size of the coins rather than their direct value.

I find a note once a year on average. In 2011 it was a tenner on the floor in a supermarket. In 2010 it was a fiver in the street. You remember those moments :D

HOLA4412

I usually find pennies more than anything else, then 5ps.

Next up are 20ps and 2ps

Then, 10ps and £ coins

Finally, £2 coins and 50ps are very rare.

I guess this corresponds more with the size of the coins rather than their direct value.

I find a note once a year on average. In 2011 it was a tenner on the floor in a supermarket. In 2010 it was a fiver in the street. You remember those moments :D

failing to take reasonable steps to trace the owner is a crime.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I'm very impressed with some of the above amounts found! I started totting up found money after reading a thread on MSE; my totals are:

2006: 33p

2007: £11-38p

2008: £2-15p

2009: £12-28p

2010: 44p

2011: 73p

2012: so far 12p

The two 'high' years were because I found a tenner in each..one in the street,and the other in Forbuoys newsagents. Almost all the found coins were coppers and 5p's.

HOLA4417

I'm very impressed with some of the above amounts found! I started totting up found money after reading a thread on MSE; my totals are:

The two 'high' years were because I found a tenner in each..one in the street,and the other in Forbuoys newsagents. Almost all the found coins were coppers and 5p's.

Good marks for persistence, but cash returns should be stronger. Can rantnrave or interestrateripoff give a few tips to this poster, please?

HOLA4418

Good marks for persistence, but cash returns should be stronger. Can rantnrave or interestrateripoff give a few tips to this poster, please?

You have to be pro-active - I walk up the steps to my local Co-op but down the ramp on the way out - cover all angles!

Know where to look - supermarket self-service tills are very good places to start. Bus stops are another possibility.

Keep your eyes looking on the ground whenever you go out - if necessary, relocate to an area where the women are really ugly...

HOLA4419

You have to be pro-active - I walk up the steps to my local Co-op but down the ramp on the way out - cover all angles!

Know where to look - supermarket self-service tills are very good places to start. Bus stops are another possibility.

Keep your eyes looking on the ground whenever you go out - if necessary, relocate to an area where the women are really ugly...

:lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4420

Thanks for that..hadn't thought of self-service tills.(Don't need to relocate though; I already live in Stockport! :blink: )

HOLA4421

Clearly not trying hard enough. :P Do you walk a lot? Walking too and from the shops can generate the cash.

You need to train your vision better so you can spot that 1p or 2p at a couple of metres in the grass :) , plus you have to be prepared to look at something which might not be money and be disappointed ie it's a bottle top, a party popper top etc... The more you look the more you will find. Check the kerbside and roads, I find lots of money dropped here. Generally I find the lighter days more profitable. It's harder to spot money in the dark, that takes even better eyesight. I don't think you are ready for that advance stage yet. :)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Nope, I got fed up of recording what I found, plus I ended up putting any loose change in the pot that I had.

Although I think barring finding notes I probably find as much as rantnrave about £50-£60 a year. Getting notes if your lucky really boosts that total and can really skew the figures. In 2 days I once found £50 that doesn't happen too often, notes wise I've managed to find over £100 since I started this thread.

So mortgage wise I've paid off at least £200 doing this, which I don't think is too bad a return.

You ned an app for that so you can record all the places you found stuff and how much it was. Then your subscribers will pay to see where people have luck in finding change.

You can pop my royalties for that idea in the post.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4425