1452 replies to this topic

#346 manchester50

manchester50

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

Urghh. As I understand it I don't think you're obliged to allow any viewings, but regardless it's not good when that happens. Especially if you've got some amateur of a landlord who breaks their word, might disagree about viewings and expects you to comply. What a hassle, even just speaking to the landlord or their agent on a regular basis during such a process, never mind the viewings and all sorts of concerns there.

I didn't reply earlier because I was trying to find the post in which you'd expressed how happy you were living in your current place. I can understand you not being happy with this turn of events. :(

Yes we do like the place. It wasn't going to suit us long term but another 6-12 months would have been fine. As I understand it you can make yourself into a pain up the **** when it comes to permitting viewings, but that's not really my style, as long as it is genuinely convenient. I've also managed to negotiate a slightly longer notice period (if he does find a buyer) so that will help us move. It's just inconvenient with both working, a baby and a toddler, summer hols scheduled etc.
Very unlikely we'll move into another rental to then move again into a purchased place so I expect to be flinging some lowball offers in a number of directions shortly.

#347 R K

R K

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,399 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

What's depressing me almost as much as being kicked out of the current rental place is that today (i.e. in 1 day!) they've 12 viewing requests. Not only is that depressing in terms of likelihood of being kicked out, but also the level of interest in purchasing.

Sorry to distract away from your viewing discussion SYNT.

It's quite likely that these are the agents 'go to' list of first viewers. It seems to be common practice to send a bunch of tyre kickers round in the first couple of weeks to give the seller the impression they've made the right choice of agent. I've had it happen to me in the past. Flurry of 'interest' which dissipates like the morning dew, followed by nada, then the agent starts with his friday evening calls of woe urging seller to lower the price.

If that is the case then you may find after this lot have tramped around it goes fairly quiet.

"The problem with capitalism is that eventually you end up with everyone else's money" RK
"We have now entered The Great Rebalancing 2007-20xx" - RK
"Gold will go to $1000, Silver to $18" - RK August 2011
QE 100bn and build 1m council homes - RK
Carney announces the launch of Empire 2.0 - Rise of the Banksters Oct '13

#348 manchester50

manchester50

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

It's quite likely that these are the agents 'go to' list of first viewers. It seems to be common practice to send a bunch of tyre kickers round in the first couple of weeks to give the seller the impression they've made the right choice of agent. I've had it happen to me in the past. Flurry of 'interest' which dissipates like the morning dew, followed by nada, then the agent starts with his friday evening calls of woe urging seller to lower the price.

If that is the case then you may find after this lot have tramped around it goes fairly quiet.

I suspect you're right. A very similar house remains unsold just up the road which is 40k less so that may help.

#349 Nomadd

Nomadd

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

I suspect you're right. A very similar house remains unsold just up the road which is 40k less so that may help.

Always find these threads a better sign of where the housing market is, and more importantly where it is heading: http://www.housepric...ic=178144&st=45
Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home.

#350 manchester50

manchester50

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

I read them and find them interesting, but when the lists start including 4-5 bed family homes in Hale/Cheadle Hulme/Bramhall/Poynton they'll start to have more immediate relevance!

#351 8 year itch

8 year itch

I am not an INTJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,628 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

Re: tyrekickers, the promotional shit from the agencies is begging for tyre kickers to arrange viewings at the moment. Apparently viewings are not an inconvenience, not unless you're the tenant that is.

Edited by SeeYouNextTuesday, 02 May 2012 - 09:28 PM.

There is no ladder.

JY

No need to sell up, the next phase of the economics cycle is going to be very positive for anyone that owns property.

All I'm sayings is, don't listen to the property bears people, they are wrong.

#352 manchester50

manchester50

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

Re: tyrekickers, the promotional shit from the agency is begging for tyre kickers to arrange viewings at the moment. Apparently viewings are not an inconvenience, not unless you're the tenant that is.

There are plenty of viewings whch are nothing more than a day out for the viewers...

#353 monks

monks

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:22 AM

There are plenty of viewings whch are nothing more than a day out for the viewers...

Guilty.

Wife's off work at the moment and whilst we need to move in the next 18 months (at latest) due to family size, I have no intention of doing it right now. However, if we see a potential property, the missus will visit just to gauge size, value, condition etc to manage our expectations when we do take the plunge.

What we are amazed at is the quality of "estate agent" taking us round - quite often someone in their 60's+ who quite frankly is on the slippery slope to dementia. Last month the EA was actively pointing out the faults with the property !! (some of which, like storage space, my wife hadn't even noticed)

#354 R K

R K

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,399 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

How about this one - period etc etc plus 3 acres to wander around in and money left over for a Discovery to get you up and down in the winter.

http://www.rightmove...y-28414091.html

or I suspect this might be more to your liking. The thing is that much of the period property you're probably interested in isn't going to be in the places you would probably prefer to be.

Nonetheless,

http://www.rightmove...l?premiumA=true

Edited by Red Knight, 03 May 2012 - 10:48 AM.

"The problem with capitalism is that eventually you end up with everyone else's money" RK

#355 manchester50

manchester50

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

Loving the Property Bee asking price history on that first one. Sadly north of Manc is no good for travel requirements, otherwise I'd be happily looking around Ramsbottom, Rawtenstall etc.

Had seen the Heaton one, and we did look at a house in Heaton Moor a couple of years ago. Too far into town for us now and that section of the A6 would do nothing for my blood pressure.

Actually went to view a repo recently on Bramhall Lane South. Got a few other viewings lined up but they're all places I'd only go for with 15-20% off so I'm not holding my breath.

#356 R K

R K

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,399 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

Loving the Property Bee asking price history on that first one. Sadly north of Manc is no good for travel requirements, otherwise I'd be happily looking around Ramsbottom, Rawtenstall etc.

Had seen the Heaton one, and we did look at a house in Heaton Moor a couple of years ago. Too far into town for us now and that section of the A6 would do nothing for my blood pressure.

Actually went to view a repo recently on Bramhall Lane South. Got a few other viewings lined up but they're all places I'd only go for with 15-20% off so I'm not holding my breath.

We truly are in a depression :D

#357 8 year itch

8 year itch

I am not an INTJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,628 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:43 AM

Been watching The Crashing Isles "Peston, 2m+ properties with price drops in London" thread with no more than passing interest and then last week FreeTrader posted a thread about million pound plus house sales. To my surprise i only saw one locally (and that was Knutsford) out of the 100+ sales so far recorded in March. Given the hundreds of houses on the market for a million plus I was surprised how few sales there seem to be. So much for a supposed market

There is no ladder.

JY

No need to sell up, the next phase of the economics cycle is going to be very positive for anyone that owns property.

All I'm sayings is, don't listen to the property bears people, they are wrong.

#358 Nomadd

Nomadd

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

Been watching The Crashing Isles "Peston, 2m+ properties with price drops in London" thread with no more than passing interest and then last week FreeTrader posted a thread about million pound plus house sales. To my surprise i only saw one locally (and that was Knutsford) out of the 100+ sales so far recorded in March. Given the hundreds of houses on the market for a million plus I was surprised how few sales there seem to be. So much for a supposed market

Bingo. The "upper end" is being hammered - check the South Manchester Sold data for all of 2012 so far.

How far this trickles down is yet to be seen. My guess, a lot further than some people think. Even 2-3 years ago, the 2 million plus mark was taking a beating in the NW; I've watched that trend spread over the last 12 months down to the 1 million+ bracket. And recently it's pushing down into the 800k+ bracket. Interesting to watch.

#359 Nomadd

Nomadd

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:51 PM

Take this: http://www.rightmove...y-20301540.html

Versus this: http://www.rightmove...y-33605992.html

I much prefer option 1. Can't understand why someone would take option two, considering the relatively small difference in price.

What am I missing here? Apart from the slightly shorter walk to the train station?

Honest replies only (no idiotic trolling from YouKnowWho. :))

Thanks.

#360 manchester50

manchester50

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

Take this: http://www.rightmove...y-20301540.html

Versus this: http://www.rightmove...y-33605992.html

I much prefer option 1. Can't understand why someone would take option two, considering the relatively small difference in price.

What am I missing here? Apart from the slightly shorter walk to the train station?

Honest replies only (no idiotic trolling from YouKnowWho. :))

Thanks.

Oddly enough the first one was on our 'list'. There is/was another almost identical for sale on a parallel road. Compared with the second one you listed I can't see there's any comparison. However it's still not much of a house (room sizes) or garden for 550-600 in my view.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users