186 replies to this topic

#121 benzlife

benzlife

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:09 PM

One more observation about Salisbury's estate agents.

We've been looking on and off for a few years now, but without exception not one of the agents has taken it upon themselves to really try and sell us a house.

We went to see one house for a second time recently and whilst deciding (afterwards) that it's a little bit of a stretch we haven't heard from the agent since. Not a peep. Similarly, we recently saw two or three places with McKillop and Gregory. Not one follow up phone call, nor suggestion that we see any of the half-dozen other properties on their books which fit our requirements.

I don't want estate agents pestering me day and night, but how on earth do they expect to sell without building a relationship and at least asking for our business?! Do they think it's 2006 still?

Also, the pick up in new houses coming on the market which I saw in April/May seems to have fallen off a cliff. More significantly, very few of those that did appear in my rightmove search have gone sold stc or under offer. That said, few price reductions either so no wonder they're struggling to sell...

#122 hellsbells

hellsbells

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:42 PM

Wow - haven't really been into Salisbury properly for a few months. Salisbury Bedding and Furniture gone and quite a few more boarded up shops around.

I know someone quite well who works on the market - they tell me the market generally has really picked up in the last eight months or so - more people buying alot more of their food there.

It's all beginning to look a bit retro.

#123 richiep

richiep

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:16 PM

The entire situation in and around Salisbury is depressing.. Awful poor quality housing stock at crazy prices... Houses not selling or reducing in price. I am beginning to lose all hope!

#124 benzlife

benzlife

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

Time for a "Salisbury anyone?" bump!

Got to say that the quantity, quality and price of new properties coming onto the market are all depressing the hell out of me. Why are prices 10 to 15% up on last year? Has Salisbury experienced some sort of bubble in the past 6 months or are sellers just more deluded/desperate this year??

#125 babnye

babnye

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

Time for a "Salisbury anyone?" bump!

Got to say that the quantity, quality and price of new properties coming onto the market are all depressing the hell out of me. Why are prices 10 to 15% up on last year? Has Salisbury experienced some sort of bubble in the past 6 months or are sellers just more deluded/desperate this year??

I agree. There is no house price crash in this place.

My sons have just started school over the Hampshire border and we were thinking of moving that way but the house prices are so much higher there - literally fifty grand on top of Salisbury prices. I think this is what must keep Salisbury prices high - lots of other place are much more expensive, so people work there but live in Salisbury and send there little cherubs to the obnoxious grammar schools.

#126 aeris

aeris

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

Well I have been looking at the market for appx 7 years, have bought and sold and am now considering buying again. I don't think prices have changed very much in the last 7 years, (but I only look at <230000). The quality and location of houses is pretty ropey and good stuff is very rare and goes quickly and at a premium, so I would say its certainly a difficult market.. If I don't find anything at the right price and quality I will look elsewhere because I can. I am pretty confident that a lot of btl types have bought in salisbury and been stuffed, I've seen quite a few examples. And what they will do when everyone in rented goes on the new gov scheme to buy the truckload of new houses being built in the north I don't know. Probably get even more stuffed.

#127 Live Peasant

Live Peasant

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

Says it all

Posted Image
"A multitude of causes unknown to former times are now acting with a combined force to blunt the discriminating powers of the mind, and unfitting it for all voluntary exertion to reduce it to a state of almost savage torpor." Wordsworth.

#128 hellsbells

hellsbells

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:03 AM

Says it all

Posted Image

Which shop is that?

#129 Live Peasant

Live Peasant

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

Lulu's gift shop on Fisherton Street.
"A multitude of causes unknown to former times are now acting with a combined force to blunt the discriminating powers of the mind, and unfitting it for all voluntary exertion to reduce it to a state of almost savage torpor." Wordsworth.

#130 spyguy

spyguy

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

Lulu's gift shop on Fisherton Street.

Didn't the young-ish blonde girl inherit the bedding place next door - both left + right.

She opened Lulu's a couple of years ago. I guess she's reached the end of her rental and legged it.
It was all very girly-ish.

The furniture and bedding place was finished off by Ikea - like most of the other furniture places will be.
Christ the furniture place had an '0' at the end of Ikea prices.

#131 hellsbells

hellsbells

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

Didn't the young-ish blonde girl inherit the bedding place next door - both left + right.

She opened Lulu's a couple of years ago. I guess she's reached the end of her rental and legged it.
It was all very girly-ish.

The furniture and bedding place was finished off by Ikea - like most of the other furniture places will be.
Christ the furniture place had an '0' at the end of Ikea prices.

Disagree.

I think Salisbury Bedding and Furniture was killed off when the girly pretty pretty stuff all peeled off into Lulu's next door, and the bedding store went all black n' chromey inside - all looked very oppressive and the guys left in there were never as welcoming as the ladies. All the kids bedding and the country cottage type stuff they used to put in the window used to pull in a hell of a lot of women.

All very sad - I've got lots of happy memories - our first joint "relationship" furniture purchases came from there and quite a few other items over the years. Some of the lines they sold were very good quality and really can't be matched by the tat in Ikea.

#132 Jonforres

Jonforres

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

Dear Salisbury HPC'ers!

First time posting- But periodic watcher of this thread. Thanks to all contributors on the well informed and engaging comments on here. After this flattery I wonder whether I can pick your collective brains?

We are locally resident and happy in the area, thinking of trading up from the c.200k mark to c.300k mark, staying within Salisbury plus 5 mile radius. Received wisdom would state this would be a reasonable time to do so as any losses on the one sold (compared with 2007 when bought) would be outweighed by the savings on the one sold - all things being equal. My worry with this is that the EAs are all too inclined to agree with this analysis!

Very grateful for your thoughts..

Forres

#133 Jonforres

Jonforres

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

Dear Salisbury HPC'ers!

First time posting- But periodic watcher of this thread. Thanks to all contributors on the well informed and engaging comments on here. After this flattery I wonder whether I can pick your collective brains?

We are locally resident and happy in the area, thinking of trading up from the c.200k mark to c.300k mark, staying within Salisbury plus 5 mile radius. Received wisdom would state this would be a reasonable time to do so as any losses on the one sold (compared with 2007 when bought) would be outweighed by the savings on the one sold - all things being equal. My worry with this is that the EAs are all too inclined to agree with this analysis!

Forres

I mean "savings on the one bought" of course...

#134 Jonforres

Jonforres

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

Dear Salisbury HPC'ers!

Forres

I mean "savings on the one bought" of course...

#135 spyguy

spyguy

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:49 AM

Your problems are selling the first house and the convincing the owner of the next house that its fallen quite a bit.

Houses are not transacting and have been low since 2003ish.

I stand by my comments of employment - the thing that pays off the mortgage anywhere.

FP (as was) and the SIPP servicers (James hays, capita, etc) are on their last leg.

As far as I can work out the HPA is off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users