#16 simon813

simon813

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:58 PM

Hi Westbury,
I haven't been on here for a few months as I really thought that the crash was finally in full flow, but since new year I have felt the need for a fresh injection of hope so have been popping on and off the website regularly. It is nice to regain the faith and makes the wait slightly less painful.

On a slightly different note I have seen an influx of new properties onto Rightmove in the East Riding in the last week, however they seem to have been made up of two new estate agents who I haven't previously seen on RM.

Simon

#17 Westbury

Westbury

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:10 PM

Hi Simon,

Hopefully this correction will start moving in the next few months. I still think the election will be the main trigger. My bearish tendencies seem to be emerging early from hibernation after the battering they have had over the last few months.

I think that the unemployment figures for Hull were a bit disappointing? ie Down. This must have an effect at somepoint.

Reading other threads in the main forum there seems to be some talk of properties coming onto the market. Add the news that Skipton is upping its SVR and its start to look a bit more optimistic for the bears. Though I can see reasons why the Skipton hike will be a one off and other banks/BS won't follow but it may be a wake up call.

I have just got a Rightmove update about another ex council house in NF. Priced at about peak rate though. 160K. Going to NF on Saturday may have a drive past to gets its number and look up its price/selling history.

Anything caught your eye in the new properties you've seen coming onto Rightmove? Or are they out of your area or not meeting your requirements.

Apologies for being a bit slow on replying I've been laid low with a cold for the last few days.

Westbury

#18 simon813

simon813

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:08 PM

Hi Westbury,

I guess the latest addition you are referring to is on Plantation? A few friends lived round there when I was growing up and it seemed like a nice area.

We haven't really seen anything new come to the market that fits the bill in our chosen locations. We are still plugging away at one in Willerby that we offered on before Christmas. I think our offer is a bit high based on my predictions for the future but I'm trying to balance getting a good deal with getting on with our lives! I've come to terms with the fact that we might have to pay over the odds to get on, it's just a case of how much over.

Some of the news in the main forum and on the news sounds good, but then it's contaminated with stuff like the Nationwide report from today. The general public are still being led along a path that doesn't end were we want it to.

Simon

Edited by simon813, 29 January 2010 - 06:11 PM.

#19 PopGun

PopGun

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,287 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:00 PM

Hi Westbury,

I guess the latest addition you are referring to is on Plantation? A few friends lived round there when I was growing up and it seemed like a nice area.

We haven't really seen anything new come to the market that fits the bill in our chosen locations. We are still plugging away at one in Willerby that we offered on before Christmas. I think our offer is a bit high based on my predictions for the future but I'm trying to balance getting a good deal with getting on with our lives! I've come to terms with the fact that we might have to pay over the odds to get on, it's just a case of how much over.

Some of the news in the main forum and on the news sounds good, but then it's contaminated with stuff like the Nationwide report from today. The general public are still being led along a path that doesn't end were we want it to.

Simon

Hello Simon/Westbury.

I'm currently in Hessle, but looking to move up the chain when/if the prices fall accordingly. I too like Willerby, Welton etc but doubt we could afford Swanland, but you never know.

There has to be a sharp correction in these neck of the woods. There are hardly any decent jobs outside the public sector, so how these prices can hold up I don't know. I remember those £200k Semi Detached Willerby Houses going for < 90K 2000/2001, I wouldn't pay more than £140,000 in principle.

What's the rent like in your respected areas? Will check back on this thread to see if either of you have made any progress.

Good luck
"the remarkable result is that under Mrs Thatcher from 1979-90, just as under Tony Blair from 1997-2007, the real value of Housing Equity Withdrawal is larger than the real value of GDP growth"

#20 simon813

simon813

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:10 PM

Hi Popgun,

Nice to see another local on the forum.

We currently rent from a friend who kept her last house when she moved in with her partner. We have been here for 6 years and its on a small Barratt estate. Our landlady/friend doesn't bother us from one year to the next (until recently we hadn't heard from her for 18 months!) and she charges us about 60% of what the rent should be on comparible houses on the estate. For us it's been a win/win situation as we pay such a small amount of rent we have been able to save heavily and spend a bit enjoying ourselves. You mention public sector, funnily enough we are both in public sector jobs so we are very lucky.

We are looking in Willerby/Anlaby/Kirkella/Swanland/Welton/Elloughton. We want to start a family this year or next so we are looking for an average 3 bed semi with a nice garden (we like being outside). The same houses seem to have been on the market forever and we won't be forced into paying over the odds for something that it is overpriced and isn't selling. We have been putting offers in which I think are quite generous but we are still getting laughed at by estate agents.

What sort of place are you looking for?

Simon

#21 PopGun

PopGun

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,287 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:46 AM

Hi Simon,

Pretty much the same house in the same areas to be honest, keeping an eye on Southcave as well. I think you're doing the right thing, stick to your guns. With Westbury, the three of us can make our own little contribution to a localised HPC ;)

Despite the lack of local jobs and an average wage of < £18,000 prices can't go up any further thats for certain. However how much they end up coming down is anyone's guess.
"the remarkable result is that under Mrs Thatcher from 1979-90, just as under Tony Blair from 1997-2007, the real value of Housing Equity Withdrawal is larger than the real value of GDP growth"

#22 Westbury

Westbury

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:27 PM

Hi Simon/PopGun,

Thought there must be more than two of us in this area with an interest in a HPC.

I'm waiting a few more months yet. But it's all up to your own personal circumstances. That dream home may be just around the corner. I think if the prices fall to PopGuns estimate (which I'm in agreement with) of around 140K I will buy. Unless I can persuade my wife that prices will fall further - but I think I'll be pushing my luck. So I'm looking for 20% falls which may take more than a few months!

Another Ferriby property has come on to the market (Bungalow 175K) and the overpriced 3bed semi has been reduced, still way overpriced for a 3 bed semi though imo. Could do with a few more coming up for sale in NF just to bring a bit more competition to the market. Don't think anything has sold at the moment which is also a positive note.

Simon have you got time for HPC now with all your TV appearances? :D

Westbury

#23 simon813

simon813

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:52 PM

Hey, no mickey taking! I've had enough of that from people at work!

On the housing front I had noticed that the overpriced semi in NF has been reduced slightly.

The one we were most hopeful about in Willerby has gone under offer. The EA took great delight in telling me that it sold at a "much higher price" than our offer. We viewed another one in Kirkella on Sunday, quite nice, but strange set up with two full bathrooms next to each other upstairs. Greatly over priced like everything else.

Simon

Edited by simon813, 08 February 2010 - 07:53 PM.

#24 PopGun

PopGun

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,287 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:13 PM

The one we were most hopeful about in Willerby has gone under offer.

Simon

Don't worry, I'm sure the EA will take great delight in informng you soon, that the property is back on the market. ;)

Stand firm, even £140k is way too much imo, but a line must be drawn somewhere.

#25 Westbury

Westbury

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:03 PM

Don't worry, I'm sure the EA will take great delight in informng you soon, that the property is back on the market. ;)

Stand firm, even £140k is way too much imo, but a line must be drawn somewhere.

+1.

Though sorry to hear that its gone under offer. Suspect that the EA used your offer to pressure these buyers?
Unfortunately, it can all get a bit depressing. Hence, I'm still not venturing out to see any EAs at the moment. My HPC confidence level seems to be going up on one day's news and then down on the next day's news.

On my way to work I've just noticed that a bungalow that has been on the market for ages has now got a sold sign on it. I will wait to see how long it stays like that. Still the SOLD signs are pretty rare. Would like to see more properties coming onto the market. A bit more of a choice would be in our favour.

Westbury.

#26 Cicero

Cicero

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:13 PM

Also the floods didnt help Kingswood. I think a lot of people who would be put off buying there considering how badly that area was hit, although much of Hull itself didnt fair much better.

I heard that Beverley was hit very badly by the 2007 floods. Could you confirm?

#27 Cicero

Cicero

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

Hi Popgun,

Nice to see another local on the forum.

We currently rent from a friend who kept her last house when she moved in with her partner. We have been here for 6 years and its on a small Barratt estate. Our landlady/friend doesn't bother us from one year to the next (until recently we hadn't heard from her for 18 months!) and she charges us about 60% of what the rent should be on comparible houses on the estate. For us it's been a win/win situation as we pay such a small amount of rent we have been able to save heavily and spend a bit enjoying ourselves. You mention public sector, funnily enough we are both in public sector jobs so we are very lucky.

We are looking in Willerby/Anlaby/Kirkella/Swanland/Welton/Elloughton. We want to start a family this year or next so we are looking for an average 3 bed semi with a nice garden (we like being outside). The same houses seem to have been on the market forever and we won't be forced into paying over the odds for something that it is overpriced and isn't selling. We have been putting offers in which I think are quite generous but we are still getting laughed at by estate agents.

What sort of place are you looking for?

Simon

Very nice part of East Yorkshire. Superior to Beverley IMHO (latter has been overdeveloped to bu**ery).

Don't worry, you'll have the last laugh in time. HPC is happening, it's just like a crash in very slow motion, that's all.

#28 PopGun

PopGun

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,287 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:33 AM

I heard that Beverley was hit very badly by the 2007 floods. Could you confirm?

Yes, mostly along the Beck and (strangely) on the Westwood.

#29 JD79

JD79

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:45 PM

My wife and I have just started looking in this area too. We’re in our late 20s/early 30s, and we hadn’t even considered buying until recently because we had nowhere near enough in savings to put down a 10% deposit, but thanks to a change in circumstances we reckon we might be able to afford to buy a house for up to around £130k towards the end of this year.

We both work in the Howden area and we’re renting at the moment, been working there for a couple of years now but since neither of us come from Yorkshire originally we’re not too familiar with the different towns in the East Riding. Brough was one of the towns that did pop up on our radar though - decent bus and rail links, 15-20 mins drive to work, quite a few facilities and shops including a couple of supermarkets, and apparently the local schools are decent (our first child is due in September, so we’re thinking ahead! :) ).

I’d heard that builders like Barratt and Wimpey are falling over themselves to sell houses at the moment, so we went to have a look at some of the show homes in the new development in Brough yesterday. They were very nice inside but they seemed a bit overpriced at around £165-175k for a 3 bed semi, with postage stamp gardens. They’re offering all sorts of finance deals at the moment, which were admittedly very tempting as they would’ve put the £175k properties within our grasp, but then when we got home we came across review sites and forums such as these that warn people to avoid these companies and their finance deals like the plague!

So now I think we’ll sit back and wait for the prices to fall lower, and then hopefully by the end of the year we can get a nice 3 bed semi for a realistic price.

#30 simon813

simon813

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:10 PM

Hi Jd,

Thanks for sharing your observations, part of this game is all about information sharing!

I personally don't like the new part of Brough, I find that it is a bit over-crowded and I don't really like new build houses anyway. The original part of Brough is nice as is Elloughton. If you were looking at Elloughton then there are some nice semi's around the Beech Road / Hunter Road / Jefferson Drive / Atkinson Drive area. I also don't like the main pub in Brough (Red Hawk) mainly because I went to school round there and its a bit like a reunion! Having said all of that, Brough is excellent for transport links and amenities.

If you wanted to come a bit closer to Hull then Hessle has all the same amenities / train station / good bus links etc.

**Quick update on our situation for Westbury / Popgun**
We have found the perfect house!! It's a semi in Kirkella, perfect size, perfect location.....only problem is that it had subsidence 3 years ago. Now all fixed but still a big issue for insurance and re-sale purposes in the future. I won't identify it further due to the issues, but I can't imagine we will be offering on it unless they are willing to accept substantially lower offer. I have mentioned a figure of around 25% off the current asking price.
So, on to the next one, seen a 2 bed bungalow in Kirkella with potential to conevrt loft into one or two further bedrooms, so will be arranging a viewing tomorrow.

Simon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users