Photo
- - - - -

Speed Camera Fine - How Long Until It Arrives In Post?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 0q0

0q0

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:08 PM

6mph or maybe 7mph over the limit on a clear and empty road but yes that was speeding. Never had a ticket before in decades of motoring so can't grumble, even if it was an empty road, no one about, years of experience, very sharp brakes and dry conditions, blah blah blah, I accept my guilt and now await the ticket from the people who do the cameras.

So, question is: how long does it take for me to receive the penalty in the post and is it by recorded delivery? ie what happens if it goes missing in the post?

I assume the fine is 100 or more and penalty points, plus a slap from my insurers, oh joy of joys.

That'll teach me, lesson learned.

Anyone who knows how long it'll take, I'd appreciate the info.

edit
apparently 2 to 4 weeks from the answers here http://uk.answers.ya...17114655AA5Tvrp

something to look forward to eh

Edited by The Last Bear, 03 April 2009 - 03:20 PM.

#2 profitofdoom

profitofdoom

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:23 PM

6mph or maybe 7mph over the limit on a clear and empty road but yes that was speeding. Never had a ticket before in decades of motoring so can't grumble, even if it was an empty road, no one about, years of experience, very sharp brakes and dry conditions, blah blah blah, I accept my guilt and now await the ticket from the people who do the cameras.

So, question is: how long does it take for me to receive the penalty in the post and is it by recorded delivery? ie what happens if it goes missing in the post?

I assume the fine is 100 or more and penalty points, plus a slap from my insurers, oh joy of joys.

That'll teach me, lesson learned.

Anyone who knows how long it'll take, I'd appreciate the info.

edit
apparently 2 to 4 weeks from the answers here http://uk.answers.ya...17114655AA5Tvrp

something to look forward to eh

60 fixed penalty.You may be lucky though I have been flashed four times and only received one summonse.I contested this because they wouldn't give me the snap and eventually I got away with it. Even got 160 from the police for my travel to court.

#3 Long Way Down

Long Way Down

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:31 PM

Loads of info on here:

http://www.pepipoo.com/

60 fine and 3 points I would imagine.

I was caught last year by a camera van - alledged 76mph in a 60mph limit - on the A9. I got 60 and 3 points, added about 30 to my insurance.

#4 Bosh

Bosh

Nasty STR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

I got caught 2 years ago, 36mph in a 30mph zone (Dual Carriageway)

Offered 3 points and fine 60 or a speed awareness course.

Chose course, cost 70+ and spent 2/3 hours being made aware of the dangers of speeding but avoided points.

One thing I did learn was when everyone complained that speed cameras were money makers for the police/government.

Was told that if that were the case they would put film in every camera, apparantly they target certain areas at certain times and at any one time only a quarter of cameras are loaded with film but they will all flash.
They say you should view speed cameras as tombstones as they are only ever put in areas where there have been more than one death and or serious injuries.

To answer the OP. If I recall I got my shitty letter within 3 months. Not sure of time limits.

Some lady next to me was caught by the same camera and was doing 32mph. I thoughT there was a percentage grace given, but obviously not.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

#5 Bosh

Bosh

Nasty STR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

Would also add that no speed awareness course would have been offered if I was 40mph or over in a 30 zone. Straight 3points and fine only.

#6 0q0

0q0

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

Thanks for the posts.

It was a video camera, TruVelo probably, they're never off unless the link is broken.

Does the letter come Signed For/recorded delivery?

Edited by The Last Bear, 03 April 2009 - 03:49 PM.

#7 Daft Boy

Daft Boy

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:50 PM

The letter MUST be with you within 14 days of the alleged offence or they fail to comply with The Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 (c.53) Section 1 (2) . Outside of the 14 days they are timed out and you must must write to them and tell them.

I have got off twice because of this.

This only applies if not stopped or spoken to by a police officer at the time of the alleged offence.

Edited by Daft Boy, 03 April 2009 - 03:52 PM.

In the dark depths of the lunatic asylum the daft boy is king............Shakespeare

"{C}{C}{C}{C}{C}{C}The Victorians used to find the idiots, lunatics and imbeciles via the census forms. Today we rely on the financial and housing markets to find them {C}{C}".........Daft Boy 2007

"Forget financial charts. We are in uncharted waters. That means what it says on the box. It is foolhardy to try to navigate the South China Sea with a chart of the Solent. It's no good looking over the back of the vessel to get your heading. That is why so many people are ending up on the rocks. Make for a safe haven to protect yourself or you may suffer a big loss". Trust me. I am a licenced boatman...........Daft Boy 2007

#8 0q0

0q0

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:01 PM

The letter MUST be with you within 14 days of the alleged offence or they fail to comply with The Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 (c.53) Section 1 (2) .

Thanks DB. Much appreciate your post and everyone's.

I don't recall since I started driving a long time ago that I've ever been stopped by the police while driving. Probably tempting fate now and they'll be stopping me everywhere for the rest of my life, will be 1/2 hour late everywhere I go for the next 30 years! :)

Edited by The Last Bear, 03 April 2009 - 04:02 PM.

#9 juvenal

juvenal

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:03 PM

Last Bear - a few points.

Dorset Police:

Time between my 2007 speeding 'offence' and Notice of Intended Prosecution arriving by post - just 4 days.

The same 4 days between offence and notification for an offence in 2002.
This arrived by ordinary mail in a long envelope marked bold in red IMPORTANT - This is not a circular.
But the envelope was not recorded delivery.

Only 25% or less cameras are actually loaded with film - fact, so fingers crossed.

Last time I was caught speeding by camera, I was offered instead a 60 charge and attendance at a Driver Awareness Day. This meant a wasted, rather boring day, but no points or fines going on license, nor any need to tell insurers.

Drivers Awareness Days are seemingly run by contractors, not cops. Talks, Q & A, mild car crash horror vids, handouts, all pretty genteel. Cup of tea and a digestive free on Old Bill.

If you get offered a DAD, paying the 60 and wasting the day may be cheaper than points and insurance bump.

Good luck and an empty camera to you, sir!

Edited by juvenal, 03 April 2009 - 04:12 PM.

'And while I live, no fool or noble knave
Shall walk this world, in credit, to his grave..'

'The pension system has been a very nice gravy train for all of those involved except for those paying into it.'

'Let's see if we can get it for the asking price..' Kirstie Allsop

"Be under no illusion. You will not escape the net..." S'rAlan Sugar

Sex, drugs and sausage rolls...

The House of Lords: 'The Ermine Vermin....'

#10 0q0

0q0

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:09 PM

Bosh - a few points.

Time between my 2007 speeding 'offence' and Notice of Intended Prosecution arriving by post - just 4 days.

Only 25% or less cameras are actually loaded with film - fact, so fingers crossed.

Last time I was caught speeding by camera, I was offered instead a 60 charge and attendance at a Driver Awareness Day. This meant a wasted, rather boring day, but no points or fines going on license, nor any need to tell insurers.

Drivers Awareness Days are seemingly run by contractors, not cops. Talks, Q & A, mild car crash horror vids, handouts, all pretty genteel. Cup of tea and a digestive free on Old Bill.

If you get offered a DAD, paying the 60 and wasting the day may be cheaper than points and insurance bump.

Thanks J.

I'll happily go on the DAD, might be a few racy ladies to chat up!

Not an empty camera, it's a videolink cam on all the time, taking me from the front (ooh matron), and if they can lip-read I'm saying "Oh f... I'm doing over 30!"

edit thanks for your update "not a circular by ordinary mail." I wonder how they or I can prove or disprove served within or after 14 days then? Seems odd.

Edited by The Last Bear, 03 April 2009 - 04:18 PM.

#11 Bosh

Bosh

Nasty STR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:12 PM

Bosh - a few points.

Yup, was not plod at the course but contractors and was all played out during the working day so I was paid for it as well.
I stated I got my prosecution by post within 3 months but to be honest that was a guestimate. I am not sure how long it was kicking around the company as it was a company car and I only owned up because it was right next to my house :lol:

I am sure I remember the course being more expensive than the initial fine but i stand corrected.

#12 juvenal

juvenal

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

Last Bear - I've been into my records and added to my post. Have a read.
'And while I live, no fool or noble knave
Shall walk this world, in credit, to his grave..'

'The pension system has been a very nice gravy train for all of those involved except for those paying into it.'

'Let's see if we can get it for the asking price..' Kirstie Allsop

"Be under no illusion. You will not escape the net..." S'rAlan Sugar

Sex, drugs and sausage rolls...

The House of Lords: 'The Ermine Vermin....'

#13 Daft Boy

Daft Boy

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

I stated I got my prosecution by post within 3 months but to be honest that was a guestimate. I am not sure how long it was kicking around the company as it was a company car and I only owned up because it was right next to my house :lol:

14 day rule mentioned earlier does not apply unless the driver is the registered keeper and the details are up to date with the DVLA. Company car drivers and hire car drivers are on a loser in this respect
In the dark depths of the lunatic asylum the daft boy is king............Shakespeare

"{C}{C}{C}{C}{C}{C}The Victorians used to find the idiots, lunatics and imbeciles via the census forms. Today we rely on the financial and housing markets to find them {C}{C}".........Daft Boy 2007

"Forget financial charts. We are in uncharted waters. That means what it says on the box. It is foolhardy to try to navigate the South China Sea with a chart of the Solent. It's no good looking over the back of the vessel to get your heading. That is why so many people are ending up on the rocks. Make for a safe haven to protect yourself or you may suffer a big loss". Trust me. I am a licenced boatman...........Daft Boy 2007

#14 0q0

0q0

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

If they don't send it recorded delivery and it arrives after 14 days, I wonder how I am able to prove it came after 14 days or how they prove it came within 14 days if I truthfully find it didn't?

Odd. Anyway, thanks again.

Edited by The Last Bear, 03 April 2009 - 04:20 PM.

#15 Bosh

Bosh

Nasty STR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:20 PM

What is the National Speed Awareness Scheme?
The National Speed Awareness Scheme is an innovative scheme that has been put in place by police forces across the UK to allow motorists caught speeding the chance to complete a workshop rather than be issued with three penalty points and a 60 fine.

Each force appoints a member of the ANDISP - Association of National Driver Improvement Course Providers to oversee and deliver the courses in their particular area. ANDISP has been established to make sure that such courses have a quality standard and are consistent in their teachings.

Who can go on the course?
The National Speed Awareness Scheme is offered to a number of offending motorists after they have been caught speeding. Usually the drivers eligible will be those that have exceeded the legal limit but not by a huge amount. Each individual police force will decide what their margins are. If you are invited to attend such a course you will be given a specific date, time and location to attend and you will need to accept the offer, or decline and take the fine and the points on your license instead.

What if I accept but I can’t make it on the day specified?
Please make sure that you leave in plenty of time and try to arrive early on the day of your course. If you are late it is likely that you will not be allowed to join the class and will forfeit your place. If you cannot attend due to illness you will need to let the course organisers know at the first opportunity (there will be a contact number on your offer letter) and you will need to provide a doctors note as evidence. Your case will need to be reviewed by the police before they come to a decision on whether you will be offered another place or if the offer will be withdrawn.

Do I have to pay?
Yes. The course fees are usually between 60 and 100, which you pay to the course provider direct - a similar price to paying the fine, although of course, avoiding penalty points can keep your insurance premiums down and save you money in the long run.

Edit to add website address http://www.nopenalty...nessCourse.html

Edited by Bosh, 03 April 2009 - 04:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users