25 replies to this topic

#16 tccambs

tccambs

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 02:23 PM

On another point. I suspect that NE prices have held up quite substantially, because they did not rise as dramatically in the boom years. Did see a graph somewhere that showed this, but don't have it to hand.

db

A myth perpetuated by EAs. Was true of the 1980s boom, but not this one. Halifax calculator says:

"House Price Calculator

An average house, in the South East region valued at 100000 in 1995 Q2 would be worth 338381 in 2007 Q2.

A change of 238.4 percent.

An average house, in the North region valued at 100000 in 1995 Q2 would be worth 316691 in 2007 Q2.

A change of 216.7 percent."

Very much similar. The Nationwide's UK figure is skewed upwards by the London figures, where the boom has been larger.

"An average house, in the Greater London region valued at 100000 in 1995 Q2 would be worth 404316 in 2007 Q2.

A change of 304.3 percent."

#17 PhoneyMcRingRing

PhoneyMcRingRing

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:44 PM

I think the boom has been just as big in the NE. The prices were not so high to begin with but they certainly grew beyond all sensible levels. I think it is potentially the area we'll see the greatest drops (eventually) as there isn't anything to support prices. Not many jobs or industries up there. Too reliant on public service jobs too, which wont be a good thing in 2010.

Phoney

PS Jedburgh LOL!!!!
"But now the guy's got to come up with Paulie's money every week. No matter what.
Business bad? F*ck you, pay me.
Oh, you had a fire? F*ck you, pay me.
The place got hit by lightning, huh? F*ck you, pay me."

#18 deeplyblue

deeplyblue

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:10 AM

A myth perpetuated by EAs. Was true of the 1980s boom, but not this one. Halifax calculator says:

"House Price Calculator

An average house, in the South East region valued at 100000 in 1995 Q2 would be worth 338381 in 2007 Q2.

A change of 238.4 percent.

An average house, in the North region valued at 100000 in 1995 Q2 would be worth 316691 in 2007 Q2.

A change of 216.7 percent."

Very much similar. The Nationwide's UK figure is skewed upwards by the London figures, where the boom has been larger.

"An average house, in the Greater London region valued at 100000 in 1995 Q2 would be worth 404316 in 2007 Q2.

A change of 304.3 percent."

I got my impression from the graph at houseprices.uk.net

Posted Image

I looked especially at the period 2006-2009, where I do think the curve is slightly flatter than the English total, as well as the London one. However, I'm prepared to concede that this is only 1 bit of evidence.

I would like to think that NE prices will also fall by 25%-30%, but I suspect that, overall, and looking at selling not asking prices, the NE is only seeing a 10%-15% fall. If it's not flatter because of restraint during the boom, then it may just be stubbornness. "You lot may take that sort of price reduction, but I'm too proud for that sort of thing."

Example, I non-forced sale:

Rightmove: Hexham 400K

It's showing up as new, but has been on the market for 2 years now, with different agents. I don't know whether the owner is intransigent about prices, but the asking price in the summer of '07 was 425K, when it wasn't selling and it has only recently been reduced to 399,950. That's about 5% below a slightly unconvincing peak price. It's not typical, because most vendors in this position seem to have decided simply to "sit out" the crash - or "wait for the right buyer."

So now the market in the NE is, I suspect, also more sluggish than it is elsewhere - but that's purely an impression, not backed up with hard facts.

If anyone has further data which might help understand this one, I'd love to see it.

db

Edited by deeplyblue, 25 May 2009 - 03:12 AM.

#19 tccambs

tccambs

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:23 AM

db, I think your graph pretty much sums up our point. The 'England' line is very similar to the 'North East' line, if you skewed it with a bit of the 'London' line. Compared to other non-London regions, our story has been very similar. The only proviso being that the boom started a bit later, I reckon about 2001 compared to 1999, but a crazy 2003/4 saw us catch up.

#20 freeufc

freeufc

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:43 PM

Looking to move back to Gosforth as loved it there when I was a kid. I now love in London and dont have have never liked it, I went to a all girls school that is now closed but would like my sons to go to RGS. - Does anyone know of good estate agents in the area.

#21 CHF

CHF

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:17 AM

Looking to move back to Gosforth as loved it there when I was a kid. I now love in London and dont have have never liked it, I went to a all girls school that is now closed but would like my sons to go to RGS. - Does anyone know of good estate agents in the area.

Just use your move, mouseprice, and property bee. But jan forster and rook matthew sayer are big

#22 deeplyblue

deeplyblue

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:40 AM

I'm going to stick my neck out here, as I know some people have a moral objection to private schooling, but I really don't understand why you'd be willing to pay 100k more for a house to get a better school catchment when you could send each kid to RGS for 60k spread over seven years. That way, you can live where you want to without worrying about it, and still be guaranteed a great quality education.

Agree that RGS still a good place to send your children. Remember, however, that costs only start with the fees - you pay more for everything from school uniforms to Cadet Corps kit and - worst of all - having your kids keep up with the gear that the Smith-Jones' kids can afford. And, of course, since it's a grammar school, there is an entrance exam.

On the plus side, if your kids are really bright then there are scholarships and if they are inclined to take on the colour of their surroundings then having them in an atmosphere where bright=good and hard work pays off can be a real plus. Too many of the state schools are filled with people who will make life difficult for you if seem too bright, and really difficult for a boy who does his homework meticulously. (Girls get away with being a lot brighter and more conscientious than boys do. OTOH they have to, by law, have pink bedrooms with pink heart decorations. I've seen an awful lot of pink bedrooms in the last couple of years.)

Oh, yes, and RGS now (finally) take girls as well. There are some other private schools in Newcastle - Dame Allen's used to be one of the places to send girls before RGS would let them in. As to the others, I'm not well enough informed to comment.

One last thought - with the kids at RGS (or other private schools) you can, of course, live wherever it's convenient for work. But remember that your kids will have to come home through the territory of the local comp. Make sure their RGS uniform won't get them into trouble - which takes you back to one variety or other of Jesmond/Gosforth and one or two other enclaves.

db

#23 largehomedweller

largehomedweller

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

Well, we live fairly close to there, and it's not too bad, but you could probably do a little better for yourself.

You don't say how many bedrooms you want, or whether the schools are a consideration, or what sort of house you want. I've just done a check on Rightmove for NE3 + 1/2 a mile, and there are lots of properties on at less than 220,000 - and that's just the asking prices.

You also need to decide whether you want to be in one of the big "Parks" - like Brunton Park, or in the centre of Gosforth. Both have their pluses and minuses - the Parks are full of families, and most of the older buildings are pretty good buys (in so far as any house is a good buy, at the moment, but that's another story!), I would recommend avoiding anything in the "Great Park" development. I'm not very impressed by the houses themselves, and it's all rather cramped. It's also a long way from the schools and the shops if you don't have access to a car.

If you fancy a Victorian house, then you can find older terraced houses within easy reach of Gosforth under your budget, and they will be closer to the High Street.

I'm not very well up on the catchment areas for schools, so you'd have to research that yourself, depending on what age group your kids are. My children went to primary schools in Gosforth, but that was a long time ago.

If you want to be within easy reach of a particular part of Gosforth, then you should factor that in, as the NE3 area now covers a wide swathe of Newcastle and several rather different areas. Had you considered Heaton? If you need to be on that side of Gosforth, you will find that adding Heaton to your list will add to your options quite usefully. Heaton has some ropey bits, some quite good bits, and one or two seriously expensive bits. If you want a modern house, however, you're probably not going to want Heaton - there's a lot of "period" property there.

You don't say where you're moving from - do you know the Newcastle area?

db

#24 largehomedweller

largehomedweller

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

This is bad advice! Are you kidding me! you would not recommend "Great Park" development. I's fantastic and there are school and shop all around. There is in one in the Great Park!! The houses are large and not cramped and there is a very good bus service every 20 minutes! Clearly you have not been to Great park that much or do not know it as well as you think. As for Heaton - a grubby downmarket area full of students. I'd rather be in Great park any day. The town houses are HUGE and gpod value. There is also a shop on the estate and several around and an Asda close by. Newcastle Airport and the metro Centre are 10 minutes away.
Please ignore this person does not know what they are talking about.

#25 tccambs

tccambs

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

This is bad advice! Are you kidding me! you would not recommend "Great Park" development. I's fantastic and there are school and shop all around. There is in one in the Great Park!! The houses are large and not cramped and there is a very good bus service every 20 minutes! Clearly you have not been to Great park that much or do not know it as well as you think. As for Heaton - a grubby downmarket area full of students. I'd rather be in Great park any day. The town houses are HUGE and gpod value. There is also a shop on the estate and several around and an Asda close by. Newcastle Airport and the metro Centre are 10 minutes away.
Please ignore this person does not know what they are talking about.

It shows some depth of feeling to dredge up and object to a post from 4 years ago.

Are you trying to sell in the Great Park?

I recently sold in central Gosforth depressingly easily - nothing at all seems to be selling in Great Park at the moment.

#26 Snafu

Snafu

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

bit bizarre necro indeed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users