#1 tplatt

tplatt

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • About Me:Antiques, interior design, music

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:48 PM

I am looking to move from Cornwall to Shropshire. I know Ludlow is expensive, but what is the general area like? What are the villages like in the county?

#2 NeilB

NeilB

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:48 PM

I am looking to move from Cornwall to Shropshire. I know Ludlow is expensive, but what is the general area like? What are the villages like in the county?

I can't speak much for the villages but we moved to Bridgnorth from the South East in 2007 and really like it up here. I drive down through Ludlow on to South Wales daily and I don't think you can go far wrong in any of the outlying areas, although coming from Cornwall the rural aspect and slower pace is going to be less of a culture shock for you than it was for me.

Also if you're looking to rent up here for a bit there are some bargains to be had, again coming from the South East this was great for me, but I imagine Cornwall is also quite expensive?

#3 Patfig

Patfig

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,670 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:50 PM

Isn't it full of Shropshites?
Life is like a sh1t sandwich, the more bread the better!

#4 tplatt

tplatt

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:11 AM

I can't speak much for the villages but we moved to Bridgnorth from the South East in 2007 and really like it up here. I drive down through Ludlow on to South Wales daily and I don't think you can go far wrong in any of the outlying areas, although coming from Cornwall the rural aspect and slower pace is going to be less of a culture shock for you than it was for me.

Also if you're looking to rent up here for a bit there are some bargains to be had, again coming from the South East this was great for me, but I imagine Cornwall is also quite expensive?

Although Cornwall is the poorest county in the country, it is one of the most expensive! Everything is a complete rip off! This is what I want to get away from. I am finding I have no quality of life anymore. I am sure there is much more going on in the Shropshire countryside than Cornwall, which is also what I like e.g. being in the middle of the country, it is not far from anywhere. Cornwall has no motorways. The nearest one is at Exeter, 100 miles away!

#5 olliegog2

olliegog2

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:00 PM

avoid Telford and anywhere near Wolverhampton, communications are quite good and I think the original inhabitants of Shropshire are quite used to incomers by now and not at all ignorant. House prices near Ludlow and in the surrounding AONB (beautiful unspoilt hill country) are quite high and houses for sale few but probably cheaper than Cornwall as Shroppie has not been on the 'second home' radar for city folk. It is still an undiscovered gem. Certain areas of Ludlow are to be avoided (the price will tell you which.) Bridgnorth is nice too.

#6 West Hampstead

West Hampstead

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:30 AM

Shropshire used to be a secret, and no-one ever knew where it was when you said you were from there. I would mainly agree with all of the previous comments, though there are posh areas of Telford and the council is very go ahead, with good schools.

Shrewsbury is lovely but having been brought up there and moved away then back a few times, there is a misery which you notice when youve been to Birmingham for the day. There are no poor schools in Shrewsbury, just better ones.

If you are looking for a nice village on the way to Chester and north try Lynneal, Nesscliffe, Knockin (which has a shop) Ellesmere has some bad reputation but is a lovely visit. Oswestry is a different world.

For Telford and the links to the M6, (posh and expensive) Iron bridge, Much Wenlock, Brosely, Wroxeter, Albrighton (there are a few albrightons and all are OK)

South dont do Bayston Hill or Cross Houses, but Condover, Church Streeton and surround, Yockleton even?

If you see a name, let me know and I will let you know.

#7 crashpope

crashpope

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:36 AM

As a former salopian (Harlescott, not the best side of Shrewsbury) I concur with my compatriot.

South Shropshire is the best.
mym
London

"in the future every effort at reformation, if the man concerned is a
true reformer, will be directed against the 'masses', not against the
government." The Journals of Søren Kierkegaard, ed. A. Dru,
(London: Fontana Books, 1958), p. 121.

"Je voudrais, et ce sera le dernier et le plus ardent de mes souhaits, je
voudrais que le dernier des rois fût étranglé avec les boyaux du dernier
prêtre." Jean Meslier (1664-1729)

#8 Steve Smith

Steve Smith

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • About Me:Meteorology/Climatology.<br />Shiny things.<br />Beer sometimes.<br />Guitar and banjo.<br />

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:14 PM

Been living there 18 months (north). My apologies to those in between, but IMO it's full of either MEWed snobs or MEWed chavs, with very few in between. A seriously depressing place compared to where we moved from. Cannot wait to get out of the place.

#9 tplatt

tplatt

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

Shropshire used to be a secret, and no-one ever knew where it was when you said you were from there. I would mainly agree with all of the previous comments, though there are posh areas of Telford and the council is very go ahead, with good schools.

Shrewsbury is lovely but having been brought up there and moved away then back a few times, there is a misery which you notice when youve been to Birmingham for the day. There are no poor schools in Shrewsbury, just better ones.

If you are looking for a nice village on the way to Chester and north try Lynneal, Nesscliffe, Knockin (which has a shop) Ellesmere has some bad reputation but is a lovely visit. Oswestry is a different world.

For Telford and the links to the M6, (posh and expensive) Iron bridge, Much Wenlock, Brosely, Wroxeter, Albrighton (there are a few albrightons and all are OK)

South dont do Bayston Hill or Cross Houses, but Condover, Church Streeton and surround, Yockleton even?

If you see a name, let me know and I will let you know.

Many thanks for all that info. Will bear them all in mind. I may come back with some more questions at a later date.

#10 West Hampstead

West Hampstead

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:11 PM

Been living there 18 months (north). My apologies to those in between, but IMO it's full of either MEWed snobs or MEWed chavs, with very few in between. A seriously depressing place compared to where we moved from. Cannot wait to get out of the place.

What is IMO and MEW...but I think I agree. But is (north) Wem?- because then I full y understand your misery.

Shropshire is rural and there is much to run down, especially if you were brought up there, BUT I would like to say that the hills and streams and hedges and meres and tudor buildings and the river severn are a great pull if you are stuck in Peckham.

Check out our pubs for sale and conversion/refurb at Paramount investments http://www.paramount...ments/index.php
Attached File  10.jpg   44.04KB   9 downloads

Edited by West Hampstead, 04 February 2009 - 03:16 PM.

#11 hilltop

hilltop

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:17 PM

Shropshire is a surprisingly big county. Each town and village is different, one to another. I like Oswestry, much improved from not so long ago when they had riots every New Year. On the other hand, Whitchurch used to be pleasant and is now umpty. Try before you buy.

#12 Mugwump Boy

Mugwump Boy

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:43 PM

What is IMO and MEW...but I think I agree. But is (north) Wem?- because then I full y understand your misery.

Shropshire is rural and there is much to run down, especially if you were brought up there, BUT I would like to say that the hills and streams and hedges and meres and tudor buildings and the river severn are a great pull if you are stuck in Peckham.

Check out our pubs for sale and conversion/refurb at Paramount investments http://www.paramount...ments/index.php
Attached File  10.jpg   44.04KB   9 downloads

LOL - I moved myself, wife and toddler up to Shrewsbury in March 07 having sold in Peckham (/East Dulwich borders, if you're an EA) in summer 06. I love Shropshire - friendly people, a rural feel and even in the centre of Shrewsbury I only have to drive for two or three minutes before I'm surrounded by fields full of sheep.

Trying to buy up here at the moment but prices are log-jammed on the "nicer" properties and not much seems to be shifting/appearing on the market. But as a lifestyle change from the capital, Shropshire is wonderful.

Any comments on Shrewsbury primary schools much appreciated - and what's the deal with Wem? Lots of really nice houses but a weird ghost town feel and full of chavs from my (limited) experience of the place.

#13 olliegog

olliegog

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:46 PM

have been following the house prices in Shropshire for some time and some EAs are better at persuading the sellers to drop their prices than others - and they are the ones selling. Ludlow has very nice houses but avoid the estates from the seventies and eighties - rows of semis with no character.
a nice village in South Shropshire is best (the hilly bit) - preferably to the East of the A49 - but you might have a wait for a decent house at a decent price - although some sellers have seen the light and reduced their prices.

#14 codgemeister

codgemeister

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

If you are looking for a nice village on the way to Chester and north try Lynneal, Nesscliffe, Knockin (which has a shop)...

Which, intriguingly, has it's own website...

http://www.theknockinshop.co.uk/

:)

#15 codgemeister

codgemeister

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

I moved to North Shropshire in 1972 from the Medway Towns and even then the change of pace and lifestyle was remarkable. I'm presently living in Telford for family reasons, having moved here from Just outside Wem in 2007 and, despite what people are saying, it's actually pretty good. There's still decent jobs around, (not that relevant for me now), and the house prices aren't too bad.

Having said that we intend moving back to the countryside when our situation settles. I prefer North Shropshire to South. The people down there always strike me as a bit 'snooty', for want of a better word, but that's just a personal preference. It's maybe more to do with me having lived in North Shroppie for nearly 40 years I suppose :)

In terms of towns Shrewsbury is nice or, if you want somewhere quiet, Whitchurch or Wem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users