House Price Crash Forum

How Much Would You Offer For This?

gteal2008

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Yep, Estate Agents in Worcester seem to be particularly deluded and clueless - despite Land Registry data such as (for detached houses):

DETACHED HOUSES - SORT BY:

NAME AV PRICE (£) QUARTER ANNUAL SALES

Malvern Hills £327,710 -4.3% -7.7% 74

Wychavon £312,656 -13.8% -15.7% 82

Wyre Forest £277,828 -7.2% -3.5% 57

Redditch £248,013 8.1% -0.3% 37

Worcester £225,311 -13.0% -19.3% 59

Sources:

England and Wales

Land Registry of England and Wales, Crown copyright. The information above is based on figures provided by the Land Registry of England and Wales.

Figures for England and Wales are for the period October to December 2008.

Detached house prices in Worcester, in 2008, fell by -19.3%. They have fallen even further in January and February and are no doubt falling this month as well.

I see that you are dealing with Connells. MT and PC based in Warndon seem set on putting themselves out of business by not facing up to the reality of the market. Even if you gently and politely try to make them aware that you are knowledgeable about the market and the ongoing price falls they seem unable to move off their 'boom time' script of - in Worcester it is different, properties are flying off the shelves, asking prices are being achieved, and prices are about to start booming again.

Daft, just plain daft. I don't know why they don't just go the whole hog and wear a clowns outfit to work.

If you do decide to pursue a property you may find it beneficial to include the vendor in your communications. Many Worcester Estate Agents seem to think they can control the market.

If the actually started to work with the market, rather than against it, by encouraging significant ongoing price reductions they would actually generate a lot more business for themselves and give themselves a fighting chance of surviving this recession. Business suicide, however, seems to be their preferred choice at the moment.

HOLA445
HOLA446
£80000? More or less?

Thinking about something like this, pref with 2 beds, this seems way over priced to me. :unsure:

£60k if it was in a more central location. For this place, about £40k.

The furniture looks nice in the photos, but it is totally impractical for actually living in the place, and you don't add anything to the value of the property for it. All you have is a very small terraced house in a housing estate somewhere in Worcester.

The other thing is, don't be fooled by the wide angled lense they used for the photos, look at the measurements, the place is tiny.

HOLA447
Yep, Estate Agents in Worcester seem to be particularly deluded and clueless - despite Land Registry data such as (for detached houses):

DETACHED HOUSES - SORT BY:

NAME AV PRICE (£) QUARTER ANNUAL SALES

Malvern Hills £327,710 -4.3% -7.7% 74

Wychavon £312,656 -13.8% -15.7% 82

Wyre Forest £277,828 -7.2% -3.5% 57

Redditch £248,013 8.1% -0.3% 37

Worcester £225,311 -13.0% -19.3% 59

Sources:

England and Wales

Land Registry of England and Wales, Crown copyright. The information above is based on figures provided by the Land Registry of England and Wales.

Figures for England and Wales are for the period October to December 2008.

Detached house prices in Worcester, in 2008, fell by -19.3%. They have fallen even further in January and February and are no doubt falling this month as well.

I see that you are dealing with Connells. MT and PC based in Warndon seem set on putting themselves out of business by not facing up to the reality of the market. Even if you gently and politely try to make them aware that you are knowledgeable about the market and the ongoing price falls they seem unable to move off their 'boom time' script of - in Worcester it is different, properties are flying off the shelves, asking prices are being achieved, and prices are about to start booming again.

Daft, just plain daft. I don't know why they don't just go the whole hog and wear a clowns outfit to work.

If you do decide to pursue a property you may find it beneficial to include the vendor in your communications. Many Worcester Estate Agents seem to think they can control the market.

If the actually started to work with the market, rather than against it, by encouraging significant ongoing price reductions they would actually generate a lot more business for themselves and give themselves a fighting chance of surviving this recession. Business suicide, however, seems to be their preferred choice at the moment.

Yes, I tried gently putting to connels that one of their props was way overpriced, he tried to rubbish my argument by saying the apartment was in such an exclusive block (K1 if you know it?), that it could afford to have the higher price tag.

How do you go about including the vendor in the communications? Do i knock on the door and tell them I want to buy their home? Or will the EA provide contact details?

HOLA448
£60k if it was in a more central location. For this place, about £40k.

The furniture looks nice in the photos, but it is totally impractical for actually living in the place, and you don't add anything to the value of the property for it. All you have is a very small terraced house in a housing estate somewhere in Worcester.

The other thing is, don't be fooled by the wide angled lense they used for the photos, look at the measurements, the place is tiny.

just gone back to the brochure, you're right it is tiny! Seems to me downstairs is just like a corridor to the upstairs. Back to the drawing board.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA449

I know somone who lives in that close but Ive never been in there place. It is in quite a good location but what you essentially have is a 1 bedroom flat dressed up as a hous. IMHO it looks like it was orginally a better layout and it has been modified to be open plan/wasting space, according to room sizes the room upstairs is only half the size of the house.

Has the owner taken out one of the rooms upstairs, and created a double height lounge? IMHO it would be better if they had left it as a 2BR house! They have converted a cheap house, into a city centre 1BR flat outside of the city.... NUTS. It isnt a bad size downstairs, BUT open planis crazy, and you have lost 25% of the space by creating a double height lounge

looking at sold prices 80k is the 2002 price, so IMHO thats a good price (but i doubt they would bite yet, especially after all the work they have done. If you buy convert it back to a 2BR house

Edited by moosetea

• 6 months later...
HOLA4410

Hi Moosetea

My mate bought one of these when he moved to Worcester back in the early 90's, probably that street or one nearby. They only have a bedroom and a bathroom upstairs with a high ceiling lounge. I never saw the point as an extra room would have cost peanuts to build but that's the way they were.

This one is sold now.