House Price Crash Forum

Apple Shares Down 4.1% On The Day And 10% Off April 10 Intraday High

HOLA441
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

A few years ago Apple was worth bugger all and even Microsoft was throwing money at them to keep them going. With Jobs dead I see no reason why they can't go back to being worth bugger all in a few years; when you sell primarily on fashion, you're always taking the risk that fashions will change.

They are fashionable but that's not why most people buy Apple products. Fashion, style and good design are three different things, Apple have all three but it's the latter two that are the most important. Not to mention the apps/media ecosystem and third party support for accessories and other devices (hi-fis, car stereos etc).

It's fair to say that without Jobs Apple wouldn't even be in business but he's left them in a very strong position and I'm sure there was lots of succession planning that took place long before his death.

HOLA443

They are fashionable but that's not why most people buy Apple products. Fashion, style and good design are three different things, Apple have all three but it's the latter two that are the most important. Not to mention the apps/media ecosystem and third party support for accessories and other devices (hi-fis, car stereos etc).

It's fair to say that without Jobs Apple wouldn't even be in business but he's left them in a very strong position and I'm sure there was lots of succession planning that took place long before his death.

The design for repair is appalling.

The apps library is a big selling point, absolutely no reason why all teh best apps from the appstore cannot be copied/converted over to other portals though - market size is all that is needed. Shame that the Android market is fractured somehwat in that respect. The head start has been important in gaining market share but that lead will not last long.

HOLA444

The design for repair is appalling.

The apps library is a big selling point, absolutely no reason why all teh best apps from the appstore cannot be copied/converted over to other portals though - market size is all that is needed. Shame that the Android market is fractured somehwat in that respect. The head start has been important in gaining market share but that lead will not last long.

I'm a moderately successful app developer and turn over a decent living from it. When I started I naturally looked at Android because of my background in Java, but there was no prospect of a profit. It still looks at least twice as hard to turn a profit on Android, and as I'm a stand alone, I can't easily double the amount of time I have. I should point out my apps are for the iPad and theres no credible competitor there with enough volume yet, it might be different on phones. Nevertheless the platform fragmentation puts me off. I don't want to have to design/code for dozens of subtly different screen formats.

Having spent several years gravitating slowly to the whole Apple shebang, the sheer quality is enough to keep me buying, though the style is nice icing on the cake and probably the enticement to move platforms. My wifi problems disappeared the moment I chucked out the old Netgear/Dlink etc. etc. stuff and bought the Apple alternative, the functionality and quality are streets ahead.

Having said that, I bought AAPL at $92 and I'm finding it hard to add to my holdings at these prices.

HOLA445

I don't want to have to design/code for dozens of subtly different screen formats.

A developer friend of mine was saying the same thing only a few days ago about the Windows phones - says that because it is being controlled then he will not have to write apps for different versions of WP7 on different phone hardware.

One of the pains with some of the android apps is actualyl finding the app that works on your phone hardware - particularly your screen resolution.

So Apple and MS are correct in how they control their phone OSes. Android - pain in the bottom to develop for apparently.

HOLA446

I'm a moderately successful app developer and turn over a decent living from it. When I started I naturally looked at Android because of my background in Java, but there was no prospect of a profit. It still looks at least twice as hard to turn a profit on Android, and as I'm a stand alone, I can't easily double the amount of time I have. I should point out my apps are for the iPad and theres no credible competitor there with enough volume yet, it might be different on phones. Nevertheless the platform fragmentation puts me off. I don't want to have to design/code for dozens of subtly different screen formats.

Having spent several years gravitating slowly to the whole Apple shebang, the sheer quality is enough to keep me buying, though the style is nice icing on the cake and probably the enticement to move platforms. My wifi problems disappeared the moment I chucked out the old Netgear/Dlink etc. etc. stuff and bought the Apple alternative, the functionality and quality are streets ahead.

Having said that, I bought AAPL at $92 and I'm finding it hard to add to my holdings at these prices.

See the problem, bigger than I thought - either needs more standardisation or more development into a cross platform development route where the variants can be more easily catered for. The volumes are there for the market, just the route is the problem, I'm sure the gap will be filled one way or another though.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

It might end up being like a black hole for your money too. As evidenced in another thread - Nokia are starting to look pretty shaky.

When's a good time to buy a house? When it's expensive or when it's cheap?

If i HAD to put my life savings somewhere right now and it was between Apple and Nokia i'd sleep easier at night with it in Nokia.

Apple have to keep being amazing to justify their price. Nokia have to stop being s**t to bounce back. Which is easier to do?

But what do i know? I thought Google was over valued when they IPO'd and look what happened there....

HOLA4410

If i HAD to put my life savings somewhere right now and it was between Apple and Nokia i'd sleep easier at night with it in Nokia.

Apple have to keep being amazing to justify their price. Nokia have to stop being s**t to bounce back. Which is easier to do?

But what do i know? I thought Google was over valued when they IPO'd and look what happened there....

And Nokia's phones can be run over by a bus and still work. I put my vid up on the Nokia facebook but no replies yet. :lol:

HOLA4411

Houses don't go bankrupt / reduce to zero. Plenty of companies do. Nokia have consistently underperformed for the last 3 years, and recovery is always just around the corner.

I wouldn't touch Apple with yours either, clearly well above the top of an sane valuation.

Ask Northern Rock share buyers how well investing in a cheap company went - they are generally cheap for a reason ;)

HOLA4412

And Nokia's phones can be run over by a bus and still work. I put my vid up on the Nokia facebook but no replies yet. :lol:

Any cheap phone with a tiny screen can be made strong - Samsung, Motorola, etc. etc. have all been pumping out rock solid feature phones for years.

It's not where the profit is though. If you want to be profitable, you need to be making the high end smartphones.

HOLA4413

(Although I would have thought they could keep the bubble going until the iPhone 5, at least).

I think they will, the iPhone 5 is bound to be huge (although not literally, maybe a slightly bigger screen than the 4s).

thats a very good point, how long can Apple trade just on their name?

They're starting from a much stronger position than in 1985, computers were still pretty expensive back then so although Apple dominated the DTP market, most people didn't own a Mac.

Although on the other hand, the market for things like smartphones changes much faster than the computer market in 1985. You can't rest on your laurels, as Nokia have found to their cost.

HOLA4414

Houses don't go bankrupt / reduce to zero. Plenty of companies do.

Not true. Unless you're buying a house with cash it certainly can go to zero (and below). Vastly more people have been bankrupted by buying property than by buying shares in anything.

A companies assets never go to zero either, it just can fall below their debts.

HOLA4415

Is it too late to get on the Apple development bandwagon, obviously learning Obj-C / frameworks in the process or is it a saturated market ?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Not true. Unless you're buying a house with cash it certainly can go to zero (and below). Vastly more people have been bankrupted by buying property than by buying shares in anything.

Unless you buy your shares with leverage (oops) I was comparing buying a house with cash and buying shares with cash.

I own a UK house outright and I wouldn't swap it for the equivalent value in Nokia shares right now, one one it has some utility value - something that Nokia seems to be lacking at the mo.

HOLA4418

Is it too late to get on the Apple development bandwagon, obviously learning Obj-C / frameworks in the process or is it a saturated market ?

Not at all. getting noticed is always an issue, but if you come up with the next DrawSomething, or something niche, then there is always a gap. Just don't recreate Instagram and expect results.

Also worth looking at Monotouch if you come from a .Net background. I'm having great results with that, now I've actually got an App that's worth pursuing (niche).

HOLA4419

Not at all. getting noticed is always an issue, but if you come up with the next DrawSomething, or something niche, then there is always a gap. Just don't recreate Instagram and expect results.

Also worth looking at Monotouch if you come from a .Net background. I'm having great results with that, now I've actually got an App that's worth pursuing (niche).

just beware there is a little competition out there

http://www.apple.com/iphone/built-in-apps/app-store.html

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

indeed. But nothing in the niche I'm doing.

I think Niches most likely to succeed are those that access Brands already out there...for example,a Tescos App..although why anyone would need an app for that I dont know...but there you are.

HOLA4422

When i bought my galaxy tab, it was a toss up between that an the ipad. They were exactly the same price. But looking at the ipad i though if im gonna carry that around i might as well take my laptop, 10 inch is to large for mobile internet, and phone size smartphones are to small. So i got the 7 inch galaxy tab. It had a camera in it and video recorder as well, apples ipad mobile device didint which seemed stupid to me.

Even apple who at first fobbed off the 7 inch size are now talking of building the exact same. Ive no idea why anyone would buy an ipad. There bulky and useless as a trully mobile internet device. And i cant think of anything they do better than my sgt.

I honestly think its just people caught up in the hype that havent even used a proper android tablet, not a cheap android tablet.

HOLA4423

When i bought my galaxy tab, it was a toss up between that an the ipad. They were exactly the same price. But looking at the ipad i though if im gonna carry that around i might as well take my laptop, 10 inch is to large for mobile internet, and phone size smartphones are to small. So i got the 7 inch galaxy tab. It had a camera in it and video recorder as well, apples ipad mobile device didint which seemed stupid to me.

Even apple who at first fobbed off the 7 inch size are now talking of building the exact same. Ive no idea why anyone would buy an ipad. There bulky and useless as a trully mobile internet device. And i cant think of anything they do better than my sgt.

I honestly think its just people caught up in the hype that havent even used a proper android tablet, not a cheap android tablet.

Just ordered the 7.7" version of the Samsung. For me it had everything going for it - screen, form factor, battery life, build quality, decent CPU, memory card slot.

Everyone says it's overpriced because it's pricier than the equivalent iPad but of course, if it had an Apple logo on the back the price would not be an issue and it would be hailed as the next step in computing ... <_<

Apple make good stuff but their monopolistic, proprietary streak is enough to make me run a mile from their products.

HOLA4424

A developer friend of mine was saying the same thing only a few days ago about the Windows phones - says that because it is being controlled then he will not have to write apps for different versions of WP7 on different phone hardware.

One of the pains with some of the android apps is actualyl finding the app that works on your phone hardware - particularly your screen resolution.

So Apple and MS are correct in how they control their phone OSes. Android - pain in the bottom to develop for apparently.

I have had zero problems with any of my android apps on my HTC Desire hd. I really don't know what you are talking about. Every android app I have used has been very good.

HOLA4425

Just ordered the 7.7" version of the Samsung. For me it had everything going for it - screen, form factor, battery life, build quality, decent CPU, memory card slot.

Everyone says it's overpriced because it's pricier than the equivalent iPad but of course, if it had an Apple logo on the back the price would not be an issue and it would be hailed as the next step in computing ... <_<

Apple make good stuff but their monopolistic, proprietary streak is enough to make me run a mile from their products.

Isn't that why people like them though? All their stuffs integrates well together without the user having to think about it. Such as taking a picture in your iPhone and having it on all your devices without having to do a thing. Apple tv is a doddle to set up and you can use your iPod or iPad as a giant remote control. I'm sure this is possible using other streaming boxes and tablets, but I doubt it will be as easy to set up. Ditto iCloud syncing of everything.

Of course this does rather lock you in to apple gear, especially when you factor in things like apps you've purchased and online storage of your songs via iTunes match. But I don't mind because I like their stuff and to me it's worth the price. If people grew bored with their new toys and tried to offload them second hand, values of their products would be through the floor. The fact they're not suggests to me that most people are happy to hang on to them and keep using them.

Eta perhaps we should all spare a thought for this chap. Ok he says it was the right decision at the time, but he must sometimes wonder "if only..."

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/04/apple-ronald-wayne/

Archived