House Price Crash Forum

Kingston Upon Thames

HOLA441

One open to discussion.

I think it's vastly inflated (also taking into account historic prices), but I do like the area. Good links, shops, now a theatre but rubbish parking and a council tax that seems unbelievably high.

Is this one to watch for future reference or will it end up looking just like a Spanish resort...

Thanks

kt

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
One open to discussion.

I think it's vastly inflated (also taking into account historic prices), but I do like the area. Good links, shops, now a theatre but rubbish parking and a council tax that seems unbelievably high.

Is this one to watch for future reference or will it end up looking just like a Spanish resort...

Thanks

kt

Good place to live if you like checking out the undercarriage of Boeings while barbequing and you don't have to work in, say, central London. It's really handy for Richmond too, where you can see the results of a thriving Asian mail-order bride business linking fat middle-aged ugly Englishmen with pretty 21 year old Filipinas.

In case you hadn't guessed; I despise Kingston/Richmond/Surbubiton and all who sail in her.

HOLA443
Good place to live if you like checking out the undercarriage of Boeings while barbequing and you don't have to work in, say, central London. It's really handy for Richmond too, where you can see the results of a thriving Asian mail-order bride business linking fat middle-aged ugly Englishmen with pretty 21 year old Filipinas.

In case you hadn't guessed; I despise Kingston/Richmond/Surbubiton and all who sail in her.

I live in the Royal Borough but do not have planes going anywhere near over my shack Paddles, why do you despise?.

Bosh

HOLA444
HOLA445
One open to discussion.

Thanks

kt

This is my area of interest (well Surbiton), for much the same reasons you list. It is expensive, but very cheap compared to nearby places such as Wimbledon and Richmond. Even the poorer ends of these places (Raynes Park etc) are more marginally more expensive than the nicer parts of Kingston & Surbiton. At the same time, moving out further into the commuter belt (e.g. Walton on Thames) will get you much more for your money if looking at flats or small houses. I think this must be because the value in these areas is only in the large, 'executive' style houses

Lack of building control in the Kingston area is a concern - it is fair enough to pile new build flats into the run-down parts of town, but Kingston Council do not seem to discriminate and allow poor quality developments in the nicer parts of the area where people would happily live in the existing larger houses.

Kingston itself will always struggle with it's poor train line - 4 trains per hour taking nearly 30 minutes to get into Waterloo is not acceptable for a large town less than 10 miles from central London. Surbiton is much better in this regards (12 trains per hour, 15-20 mins), but is still not perfect as it only goes into Waterloo rather than one of the really central stations.

Plane noise has got worse in the area lately, but it is still off the direct flight path, so does not suffer in the same way as places like Teddington and Richmond. This is a potential concern with the inevitable expansion of Heathrow, though.

HOLA446
This is my area of interest (well Surbiton), for much the same reasons you list. It is expensive, but very cheap compared to nearby places such as Wimbledon and Richmond. Even the poorer ends of these places (Raynes Park etc) are more marginally more expensive than the nicer parts of Kingston & Surbiton. At the same time, moving out further into the commuter belt (e.g. Walton on Thames) will get you much more for your money if looking at flats or small houses. I think this must be because the value in these areas is only in the large, 'executive' style houses

Lack of building control in the Kingston area is a concern - it is fair enough to pile new build flats into the run-down parts of town, but Kingston Council do not seem to discriminate and allow poor quality developments in the nicer parts of the area where people would happily live in the existing larger houses.

Kingston itself will always struggle with it's poor train line - 4 trains per hour taking nearly 30 minutes to get into Waterloo is not acceptable for a large town less than 10 miles from central London. Surbiton is much better in this regards (12 trains per hour, 15-20 mins), but is still not perfect as it only goes into Waterloo rather than one of the really central stations.

Plane noise has got worse in the area lately, but it is still off the direct flight path, so does not suffer in the same way as places like Teddington and Richmond. This is a potential concern with the inevitable expansion of Heathrow, though.

Agree with everything you say about this worried. My concern is that it is slowing being ruined by poor town planning. Some may say that this is something that has always happened in this area, but from the banks of the thames being fenced off and too many rubbish bars maybe it isn't the place it could be. I will defend the area though as I think it's a lot better than many I have lived in and it's still quick to get to and from.

Surbiton's river roads are grossly over-priced....not in my league but walked passed a modest family home that is on sale for 785k....!!!!

If prices don't come down I would eventually be forced well out of this area but I do like the place...drunks, chavs included! :blink:

HOLA447

Yes, attention prospective home buyers or renters... arrivals into LHR have been from the west for the past few weeks due to the unusual wind direction (from the east). When things are back to normal it will be a different story in SW london. Do some careful research before moving (google "lhr webtrak" or in google maps search for "heathrow north runway approach" (or south, or third) in the user generated content).

HOLA448
I live in the Royal Borough but do not have planes going anywhere near over my shack Paddles, why do you despise?.

Bosh

I live in RBK too, and we only get aircraft overhead occasionally, apparently when the wind is coming from an unusual direction. In Richmond aircraft noise is more or less constant. Paddles, do you despise anyone who lives in eg Putney too? If not, is there any particular reason why we are singled out for your loathing? Just interested ;)

To reply to the OP, yes, it is generally overpriced but I do believe prices are coming down, but not enough of course. Out of nosiness I emailed a local agent recently about the length of lease on a property, and am now bombarded with emails of 'amended' prices. There's a mass of all sorts of property for sale in KoT - for example quite a few smaller-type 3 bed houses in the Tudor Drive area, v. popular because of very good state primary schools nearby, are now sticking and some actually reduced. 2 years ago these were selling almost before ink was dry on the particulars.

I don't have property bee but I know it would show a few hefty reductions on all types.

Now and then I do a 'flat' search on findaproperty - £200-350K - yesterday there were 100, as opposed to 88-ish a couple of weeks ago. An awful lot of the flats built in the last decade I would guess are BTLs - there are also stacks of flats up for rent. As I've said before, I'm fully expecting the local flat market to implode by 2009, but imagine family houses (by which I mean any 3+ bed, not just large det.) will come down less because of the schools. (KoT also still has grammars.)

HOLA449

PS -

Since I was looking in this area a while ago primelocation still email me. They just sent details of an 850 sq ft 2 bed flat, just off Kingston Hill (not one of the ex LAs), easy walk station/hospital (=good rental), 165 yr lease, parking, balcony, £249,950. Having followed prices here for past couple of yrs I know that last summer this would have been priced at an absolute minimum of £275K, and v. likely more like £285K.

HOLA4410
Surbiton's river roads are grossly over-priced....not in my league but walked passed a modest family home that is on sale for 785k....!!!!

The crazy prices in the river roads are a direct result of the lax planning laws in the borough allowing too many flats to be built at the expense of houses. It is the nicest part of the whole borough to live (imo), but the prices are disproportionate. A standard semi can go for £750k+, when similar houses in other nice parts of the area are no more than £500k. The fact that you are right on top of Surbiton station and the river and live in a road that is quiet for the area should add 10-15%, not 25%.

HOLA4411
PS -

Since I was looking in this area a while ago primelocation still email me. They just sent details of an 850 sq ft 2 bed flat, just off Kingston Hill (not one of the ex LAs), easy walk station/hospital (=good rental), 165 yr lease, parking, balcony, £249,950. Having followed prices here for past couple of yrs I know that last summer this would have been priced at an absolute minimum of £275K, and v. likely more like £285K.

This has been happening a lot recently, I think that it is the 'froth' coming off the top of the market. Last summer, the standard asking price for a good 1-bed flat in Surbiton breached £250k for the first time. By the end of the summer, anything half decent was on for £240-250k. Now, the good 1-bed flats have gone back to £235-£245k, and the half decent stuff to £210-£230k. Only exceptional 1-bed places (and the odd chancer) go on at above £250k now.

HOLA4412

primelocation have been busy sending me these automated emails. Most of the property is repeated over a course of a week or two. I don't know if anyone is selling. I have a success, then a "for sale" sign on my street which I've not seen in this area before.

As for the aircraft noise...it's usually around 9.30-10 when it becomes annoying!

HOLA4413
primelocation have been busy sending me these automated emails. Most of the property is repeated over a course of a week or two. I don't know if anyone is selling. I have a success, then a "for sale" sign on my street which I've not seen in this area before.

As for the aircraft noise...it's usually around 9.30-10 when it becomes annoying!

Ditto the 'For Sale' signs. In my street, they have always changed to 'Sold' signs within days or weeks. Last year, a lot of flats were sold before the sign even went up. There are now 3 'For Sale' signs which have been up since February and show no sign of moving.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Another drop in KT2:

This one reduced from £375ish 2-3 weeks ago, now on with 2 agents at £349,950, still not U/O.

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.a...p;agentid=03500

This is a reasonable drop and is in a nice part of town. Not sure about the term Mediterranean style courtyard ;) more like back yard with a few plants and terra-cotta coloured wall!

25k off though is a noticeable change for this area as you wouldn't have seen this even two months back.

The main thing is that property is taking a long time to shift here which is something that hasn't been the case since I've lived here. Was going to buy a while back but thought better not...typical story of poor estate agent service.

HOLA4416
Not sure about the term Mediterranean style courtyard ;) more like back yard with a few plants and terra-cotta coloured wall!

Ah, well, the poor old EAs have to try, bless them, and at least Lords is one of the endangered species of EA who can spell :P

You could make that 'garden' a lot nicer, though - at least I would.

Time to go and water my own pots - spending far too much time on here.

Edited by Mrs Bear

HOLA4417
I live in RBK too, and we only get aircraft overhead occasionally, apparently when the wind is coming from an unusual direction. In Richmond aircraft noise is more or less constant. Paddles, do you despise anyone who lives in eg Putney too? If not, is there any particular reason why we are singled out for your loathing? Just interested ;)

Just irrational territorial hatred.

Putney is very pleasant, I worked there for a while and enjoyed it. My problem with Surbiton and Kingston is that it's central London prices but bloody miles away AND an awful lot of the people I've met there are very location snobbish for reasons that seem somewhat delusional; yes, you've got a river but you get to read the writing on the underneath of British Airways planes and Bristol is only a little further journey time-wise than the Square Mile.

And Richmond, well as I've said before, it seems disproportionately full of middle-aged divorcees with mail order 2nd wives from the Far East.

I like going to Twickenham on International days though. Does that redeem me?

HOLA4418
I like going to Twickenham on International days though. Does that redeem me?

It would certainly redeem you with Mr Bear. ;)

But should add that if it takes you longer to get to the Sq Mile from KoT than from Bristol, maybe you should swop your sat-nav for a good old A-Z.

HOLA4419
But should add that if it takes you longer to get to the Sq Mile from KoT than from Bristol, maybe you should swop your sat-nav for a good old A-Z.

I agree. The only problem with travelling in from Surbiton to the city is that you are dependent on South West Trains AND the Waterloo and City Line working at the same time. When they are both working, it takes me little more than 30 minutes (door to door) to get to the square mile. I think that is quite good when you consider the distance involved.

There is also no way that this area is central London prices. Even in the nicer parts of town, you can get a 3-bed house for under £500k, and there is no way you could buy a house that size in a half decent part of central London for that price. I guess you might do in Hackney or worst part of Highbury etc, but nowhere you would actually want to live.

HOLA4420
There is also no way that this area is central London prices. Even in the nicer parts of town, you can get a 3-bed house for under £500k, and there is no way you could buy a house that size in a half decent part of central London for that price.

Agree 100%, but I fear Paddles has made his mind up and no mere proof will ever convince him otherwise. ;)

Good trains or not, I could never live in Surbiton, though. The mere name depresses me. To quote dear Jane A, "There is something direful in the sound." (She was referring to Birmingham, but there you go.)

HOLA4421
Agree 100%, but I fear Paddles has made his mind up and no mere proof will ever convince him otherwise. ;)

Good trains or not, I could never live in Surbiton, though. The mere name depresses me. To quote dear Jane A, "There is something direful in the sound." (She was referring to Birmingham, but there you go.)

I get this a lot since moving to Kingston/Surbiton, people saying "where?" and " I bet it takes 2 hours to get home in the evening" etc. Ironically, this is usually people from the sh*tty parts of London and who spend 30 minutes on the tube in the morning & evening anyway. People from Kensington or Highgate are much less snobby about it all!

I agree about the Surbiton name, but you should try it! I have lived in many different parts of Kingston, and Surbiton is by far the best imo. It is not just the trains either - it is more relaxed than Kingston with less traffic and nicer bars and restaurants for those over 25. The part of KT6 that I live in allows me to walk 10 minutes along the river to Kingston centre (quicker than from a lot of KT1 or KT2), but it is just far enough away to avoid the night-time problems caused by the Kingston nightclubs.

Anyway, I will stop now, as I want the prices going down, not up!

HOLA4422
I agree about the Surbiton name, but you should try it! I have lived in many different parts of Kingston, and Surbiton is by far the best imo. It is not just the trains either - it is more relaxed than Kingston with less traffic and nicer bars and restaurants for those over 25. The part of KT6 that I live in allows me to walk 10 minutes along the river to Kingston centre (quicker than from a lot of KT1 or KT2), but it is just far enough away to avoid the night-time problems caused by the Kingston nightclubs.

Yes, I'm sure it's nicer - I do tend to avoid Kingston centre, but then I hate shopping anyway. I guess I'm as irrationally prejudiced as Paddles :P, oh dear...

Can't be a*sed to move, though. Too old and lazy, far too much stuff. Quite nice here, R Park a mere toddle away.

But must add that there's a lovely Thai restaurant at bottom of K Hill, Ayudya (sp?) nr junction with Park Rd. They're all actually Thais and it's excellent, have never found equal except in Bangkok. Live in dread of someone else taking over and wrecking it with minimalist uber-chic. Decor is Thai, too - of carvings of water buffalo scenes, pics of their royal family, little shrine with candles and flowers etc. Plus you can park on the hill at night!

HOLA4423
Yes, I'm sure it's nicer - I do tend to avoid Kingston centre, but then I hate shopping anyway. I guess I'm as irrationally prejudiced as Paddles :P, oh dear...

Can't be a*sed to move, though. Too old and lazy, far too much stuff. Quite nice here, R Park a mere toddle away.

But must add that there's a lovely Thai restaurant at bottom of K Hill, Ayudya (sp?) nr junction with Park Rd. They're all actually Thais and it's excellent, have never found equal except in Bangkok. Live in dread of someone else taking over and wrecking it with minimalist uber-chic. Decor is Thai, too - of carvings of water buffalo scenes, pics of their royal family, little shrine with candles and flowers etc. Plus you can park on the hill at night!

I've never tried it but you have sold it!

As for eating out there are some nice places along maple road. Discreet but more home cooked than you would find in Kingston.

I'm not snobbish about Kingston. I think it's pretty down to earth, but Surbiton is more a locals person place. It's secret is in it's name, most people are put off until they go there!

The thing about Kingston is that it gets a bit to leery once the sun goes down but it's just a typical commercial center. My main problem is more about how the council seem to want to ruin what is good about the place. Far too many poorly put together flats with questionable builds and a parking system that penalises anyone who lives near the town. Try going for a quick drive on a Sunday and you are likely never to find a spot until the shops have shut!

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Sorry, everyone's allowed an opinion and mine is that some areas of Greater London are beyond the pale. These include (and here's the bit where I lose what few friends I have left on here);

- The far South West (i.e. anything further than Barnes). It's just drenched in jettisoned avation fuel.

- The East. Yes, there's a reason why it's so cheap, feel free to send a thank-you note to the Luftwaffe.

- Anywhere in the North outside of zone 2 unless you really really need to eat fried chicken on the way home from the tube.

- Sarf Lahndan. It's just yardie crack gang/drunk Irish hell.

So, those are my prejudices. Sorry an' all.