House Price Crash Forum

The Good, The Bad And The Downright Nasty!

Topher Bear

HOLA441

How many times have you come across the perfect rental property, start dealing with the Letting Agent, then begin to wonder if in fact these guys are o.k. or not? No house is worth the hassle of a bad letting Agent who is going to be finding ways to keep your deposit and generally make your life a constant battle to get anything done. The trouble is unless we have dealt with them before, or at least have been in the area a while to know on the grapevine who are good or not, usually we don't have a clue. Some of the agents we thought would prove tricky, turned out not to be, while others were the opposite. Of course sometimes we ignored the alarm bells and paid the price!

Well I believe I may have the answer. I came across this website the other day: All Agents, You can rate your letting agent (and estate agent) anonymously.

If all the HPCers could rate up their past and present Letting Agents, it will really help the website to become a really useful tool in the armoury of the Tenent.

If we could make this website the first port of call when considering a particular property of not, then many of the rental horror stories might be avoided, the worst Letting Agents might find themselves struggling to let out their properties, and then Landlords may well stop choosing them and then they go out of business!

For too long the (prospective) tenent has been on the butt end of the situation. A Landlord gets to choose which agent he wishes to put his property on with and no doubt they choose on the basis of a financial decision and the Letting Agent/Landlord relationship, which of course bears no relevence on how the tenent is treated. There is commercial competition among Letting Agents. For the Tenent, however, there is no competition to keep Letting Agents on their toes. Each Property is individual and for each property there is a monopoly situation. If a house is the right one and none similar are available, then the prospective tenent has no choice but to go with that Letting Agent, even if their charges are extortionate.

Filling in this website, won't change that situation, but it might help swing a decision that a perfect property may not be so perfect after all. As I said, if (prospective) tenents can find the villains of the Letting Agency world, then perhaps they can be given a wide birth, bcause of course it is the tenent that pays their wages...without tenents, they have no business!

Give it a whirl and lets see what people power we can weald!

Topher Bear

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest An Bearin Bui
How many times have you come across the perfect rental property, start dealing with the Letting Agent, then begin to wonder if in fact these guys are o.k. or not? No house is worth the hassle of a bad letting Agent who is going to be finding ways to keep your deposit and generally make your life a constant battle to get anything done. The trouble is unless we have dealt with them before, or at least have been in the area a while to know on the grapevine who are good or not, usually we don't have a clue. Some of the agents we thought would prove tricky, turned out not to be, while others were the opposite. Of course sometimes we ignored the alarm bells and paid the price!

Well I believe I may have the answer. I came across this website the other day: All the Agents, You can rate your letting agent (and estate agent) anonymously.

It's funny you should post this as I was just thinking the other day that a 'rate my landlord/LA' website would be a great idea. It's true that you often find a good place to rent but have trepidation about the LA or owner in case they are known to be shysters who withhold deposits and treat their tenants not as clients but as a nuisance. I'm definitely logging on there to review my LA who has just gone AWOL in the last few months, no repairs taken care of, no response to letters etc.

Great idea and thanks for posting the link!

HOLA448
http://www.allagents.co.uk/wolfs-residential-lettings/

5 comments all posted in the last 48hrs giving this letting 5 stars.

I smell a rat....

Hmm.

I see what you mean.

Thing is, the comments and ratings don't go up until they have been "approved" and you must supply your e-mail address to ratify your comment and they claim to review all comments.

Perhaps it is all the members of the Agency doing their own review from their personal accounts.

I think I'll point this out to the website for them to check it is koshur!

Thanks

Topher Bear.

PS, thinking of pinning this thread to the top. Good idea?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Hi, thanks for posting the link to our site here.

They are so going to get their arses sued.

Well, many agents have tried it, so far none have suceeded. Perhaps it helps that the site is owned by a company registered in Slovakia. :)

What about ones that are missing ?, I'd like to make a few negative comments

Suggest the agent here: http://www.allagents.co.uk/add-agent/

We will add them to the directory but please allow up to a month for it. We'll notify you once it is possible to review the agent.

http://www.allagents.co.uk/wolfs-residential-lettings/

All reviews have been posted from unique IP's and confirmed by reviewers with unique emails. That's all we can check I'm affraid. Unfortunatelly we can't tell for sure if they've been posted by genuine customers or agent's employees.

Any questions or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Jay

HOLA4411
All reviews have been posted from unique IP's and confirmed by reviewers with unique emails. That's all we can check I'm affraid. Unfortunatelly we can't tell for sure if they've been posted by genuine customers or agent's employees.

Any questions or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Jay

Thanks very much for this site. I noticed the registration in Slovakia and thought 'smart move' ;)

About the Wolfs, thats pretty much what I figured. I guess the only way to get around such issues is for as many genuine customers to voice their opinion as possible so that the odd employee vote is swamped by reality!

So everyone....get commenting!!

Sorry about making more work for you Jay! :P:o:huh:

HOLA4412

I smell a rat....

Maybe a rat, but it could be a perfectly innocent one. I have no idea (never heard of the agent in question), but the following scenario seems at least faintly plausible.

Scenario: agent is good, and knows it. Has good relations with its clients, both landlords and tenants. Someone at agent finds out about this review site, and puts it in a newsletter. Hey presto - a bunch of more-or-less genuine reviews.

• 3 months later...
HOLA4413
Maybe a rat, but it could be a perfectly innocent one. I have no idea (never heard of the agent in question), but the following scenario seems at least faintly plausible.

Scenario: agent is good, and knows it. Has good relations with its clients, both landlords and tenants. Someone at agent finds out about this review site, and puts it in a newsletter. Hey presto - a bunch of more-or-less genuine reviews.

Only just seen this added the agents I have delt with over the last few years, except the one I have major problems with.... they went bust :lol:

I agree a savvy agent would get his customers to stick up a review, could be suspect but could also be genuine, I know I'm more than happy to promote any of the good agents I have come across.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4419
Anglotown in Westbourne, Dorset, are good people, friendly and they my deposit back within 2 weeks of vacating. No hassles.

Looking at the thread of this discussion, I thought that rating landlords and letting agents would be a good idea, so last year set up a website at www.trustedlets.co.uk. The rating for letting agents/ estate agents is a one way rating ie you just rate them. You can add agents or businesses if they are not already listed and can rate them.

The rating between landlord and tenants is a mutual rating ie you both have to agree to rate each other. This is to avoid it turning into just a hate list which isn't much help- what you want is to know who you should rent from not who you shouldn't. Anyway, please let me know what you think.

HOLA4420
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4421
  • 4 months later...
HOLA4422
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA4423
  • 7 months later...
HOLA4424

interesting site, have added my comment to the current EA of our rented place. Incompetent idiots they are - couldn't organise the proverbial p*ss up in a brewery. We're renting atm, LL put house on the market for sale - so far of the 3 viewings the EA has organised they have got the times wrong in all 3!!! 100% fail rate.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4425

I would like to nominate Langleys of St Albans for "Downright Nasty"

http://www.langleysestates.co.uk

A couple of years ago I decided to move. I chose a property from Langleys which was large and fairly reasonable priced flat.

The landlord was an accidental landlord, looking to rent their place out and move. We verbally agreed on a moving date and I paid a deposit to get it quickly off the market.

A week later I chased up about when I was getting a contract to sign and was told soon.

But another week later I still had no contract, and therefore no security of date. I was then told they were moving the move in date to a week later. Now I had nowhere to live for a week, but we had to make arrangements.

The landlady said in no uncertain terms that they would keep this deposit if I pulled out

So Langleys of St Albans will take your money, make you promises they wont keep then f*** you over.

A week after that Langleys phoned me up and said the Landlord has decided to take the property off the market !!!!!! I was livid, but what could I do?

Langleys gave me my deposit back, and apologised and said how angry they were at the Landlord for tarnishing their name

However their behavior up to this point was despicable and their business practice very sharp. They should have not taken the deposit as security if they knew there was a good chance of this not going through from the get-go.

Don't use them!