House Price Crash Forum

Housepricecrash.co.uk Mentioned In Ian Cowie Telegraph Article

HOLA441

Housepricecrash.co.uk mentioned in Ian Cowie Telegraph article on high LTV nationwide mortgage

Observers who believe house prices remain over-priced and will fall further when interest rates and unemployment rise – such as housepricecrash.co.uk – may suspect the return of 95pc LTV mortgages could prove a honeytrap for first time buyers; tempting them to pay more today than these properties will fetch next year.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/ianmcowie/100010114/nationwide-launches-honeytrap-mortgage-as-house-prices-fall/

HOLA442
HOLA443

The irony can't escape someone in the mainsteam press that it's not ok for petrol to keep going up, but it is for house prices...

It is laughable SarahBell, but this is what we're dealing with in the UK in 2011. Millions of ignorant people who complain about inflation making them pay more for food, holidays, and 4x4 fuel, but are quiet happy to see houseprices inflate at 20% a year.........just as long as they bought when prices were affordable of course.

The attitude is....."F*ck anyone who needs shelter in 2011. Let them pay 3 times what I paid or let them sleep on the street if they can't afford to."

Utterly pathetic and corrupt = 95% of the UK population......it seems. :rolleyes:

Edited by Wait & See

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

There's even a link to the hpc site!

That's rather generous.

It wasn't that long ago that Cowie was writing about how wonderful it was that homeowners had "a unique opportunity to enjoy tax free profits" (not that exact working). What he didn't mention is that the profit is at the expense of other peoples debt.

Cowie is a dyed in the wool homeownerist now pretending (having made his personal profit at the expense of the next generation) that he somehow gets it.

HOLA447

The attitude is....."F*ck anyone who needs shelter in 2011. Let them pay 3 times what I paid or let them sleep on the street if they can't afford to."

Utterly pathetic and corrupt = 95% of the UK population......it seems. :rolleyes:

But if interest rates and unemployment rise won't that happen to many home owners ? That's what a house price crash will mean. The last time in the early nineties, people were getting kicked out of their homes and there were a number of people sleeping rough as a result.

It is puzzling that property has doubled in value in the last ten years, yet shares are at about the same level and wages have only risen moderately. The only thing propping the market up is the low interest rates which are preventing forced sales.

HOLA448

It wasn't that long ago that Cowie was writing about how wonderful it was that homeowners had "a unique opportunity to enjoy tax free profits" (not that exact working). What he didn't mention is that the profit is at the expense of other peoples debt.

Cowie is a dyed in the wool homeownerist now pretending (having made his personal profit at the expense of the next generation) that he somehow gets it.

Even so, he didn't have to put a link to this site or even mention it.

HOLA449

Exactly Cowie didn't have to mention or link HPC, it had an article about 2 months ago with the words house price crash in the headline too. He is the closest hpc will get to a friend the the MSM

He is one of the few personal financial journalists to have been writing about it last time round so he knows what is coming. I suspect his kids will be in their 20s and looking to get a home soon so he has a bit of self interest in seeing sensible prices

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I do believe that this is the third time this article has been posted and commented on here.

It is a new Ian Cowie article from this morning which also refers back to his previous one which got mentioned a few times on HPC - this a new one though.

The link in the quote box is to the previous article (which Ian linked to him self), the link outside to the new article today

Edited by koala_bear

HOLA4413

Exactly Cowie didn't have to mention or link HPC, it had an article about 2 months ago with the words house price crash in the headline too. He is the closest hpc will get to a friend the the MSM

He is one of the few personal financial journalists to have been writing about it last time round so he knows what is coming. I suspect his kids will be in their 20s and looking to get a home soon so he has a bit of self interest in seeing sensible prices

I first found HPC back in 2006 when it was specifically mentioned in a Edmund "Russ" Conway Daily Telegraph article - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/3351495/Word-on-the-street-Apocalypse-now-Having-read-the-signs-I-dont-think-so.html

Although, strangely, my joining date on here now looks to be the day before the article was published, spooky. Maybe I read the print edition first back then.

Edited by daiking

HOLA4414
Robert Gardner, Nationwide’s chief economist, said: “The price of a typical house fell by 0.2pc in April, which left prices 1.3pc lower than the same period of 2010. The three month on three month measure of house prices, a better measure of the underlying trend, showed a modest rise of 0.6pc

Bob Gardner is either ignorant or deliberately misleading the public. Houses have not fallen by anything like 1.3% YoY. I am proceeding with a property that was around £289k at peak and being bought for £220k. That is not a fall of 1.3%. And this is typical around here (East Sussex) where house prices are "resilient."

The only resilience I am seeing is VIs attitude toward reality.

HOLA4415
Robert Gardner, Nationwide’s chief economist, said: “The price of a typical house fell by 0.2pc in April, which left prices 1.3pc lower than the same period of 2010. The three month on three month measure of house prices, a better measure of the underlying trend, showed a modest rise of 0.6pc

Bob Gardner is either ignorant or deliberately misleading the public. Houses have not fallen by anything like 1.3% YoY. I am proceeding with a property that was around £289k at peak and being bought for £220k. That is not a fall of 1.3%. And this is typical around here (East Sussex) where house prices are "resilient."

The only resilience I am seeing is VIs attitude toward reality.

What happened to Martin Gaurthaubouree? Maybe he was sacked for being too bearish?

Edited by Pent Up

HOLA4416

Just because a big shot journo is giving an acknowledgement in payment of a debt of gratitude for economic enlightenment given by this site, it doesnt mean we have to be grateful in turn. That is the HPC way, no mercy, even for those that want to be our friends.

Bloody parasites.

HOLA4417

Just because a big shot journo is giving an acknowledgement in payment of a debt of gratitude for economic enlightenment given by this site, it doesnt mean we have to be grateful in turn. That is the HPC way, no mercy, even for those that want to be our friends.

Bloody parasites.

:lol:

Are you always like this or did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I first found HPC back in 2006 when it was specifically mentioned in a Edmund "Russ" Conway Daily Telegraph article - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/3351495/Word-on-the-street-Apocalypse-now-Having-read-the-signs-I-dont-think-so.html

Word on the street: Apocalypse now? Having read the signs, I don't think so

Edmund Conway 12:01AM BST 22 Jul 2006

Edmund Conway, the Daily Telegraph's Economics Editor, offers expert inside knowledge of the housing market

House price forecasts aren't the kind of thing one gets into fisticuffs over. Or so I thought until I found myself in a fevered discussion with a friend-of-a-friend in the pub. The topic of the housing market came up, and I volunteered my predictions.

"Really," he said. "You really think everything's going to be OK?" I answered that provided prices don't rise too much in the next couple of years, there is only a distant chance of the market collapsing.

"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "I've no doubt at all there's going to be a crash."

He continued that houses are more unaffordable than they've ever been; we are more indebted than we've ever been, and that interest rates and unemployment are about to rise.

"It is," he concluded, "all about to end in tears."

It wasn't the man's views that I found disturbing. It is quite reasonable to assume that the market could crash: prices are indeed still high and various scenarios could set off a serious slump. No, what was disturbing was the fervour and slightly unhinged aggression.

Not only was he convinced that the economics meant a crash was inevitable; he was also convinced that the past decade's boom had been engineered by homeowners for their own benefit and to the intentional detriment of potential first-time buyers.

It seems there is quite a cabal of people in his court. They congregate online at a website called housepricecrash.co.uk, where they exchange views on why it is better to rent than to buy, and place bets on how long it will take before prices slide back to mid-1990s levels.

I wouldn't recommend the site to anyone looking for a balanced take on the market: many of its users seem to have a positive vendetta against homeowners.

Check out a few of the most popular forums on the site: The Arguments For Rising House Prices Debunked, The Perfect Storm Is Coming and Are We Living In One Huge Scam?

To which the answer is, of course, no. Nobody - not me, not economists, not even Mervyn King, the governor of the Bank of England - knows what will happen to house prices.

:lol::lol::lol:

Nobody saw "it" coming? Edmund Conway, the Telegraph's "Economics Editor", who apparently has "expert inside knowledge of the housing market", certainly didn't. The chump.

Edmund, this next one's specifically at you: :lol:

Well done.

HOLA4421
Check out a few of the most popular forums on the site: The Arguments For Rising House Prices Debunked, The Perfect Storm Is Coming and Are We Living In One Huge Scam?

To which the answer is, of course, no. Nobody - not me, not economists, not even Mervyn King, the governor of the Bank of England - knows what will happen to house prices.

HPC: The Arguments For Rising House Prices Debunked (29 December 2004)

HPC: Are We Living In One Huge Scam (13 March 2005)

HPC: Are We Living In One Huge Scam (Unknown : MIA) :ph34r:

( Who posted in: The Perfect Storm Is Coming )

ed_conway_140_small_new.jpg

Edmund Conway blog

I was, until recently, Economics Editor of The Telegraph, but these days I am at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard, where I will blog occasionally when I'm not knee-deep in homework.

Back to school :D

HOLA4422

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/comment/8492571/House-prices-are-not-going-to-plunge.html

'House prices are not going to plunge'

The latest fall in house prices recorded by Nationwide and the Land Registry underlines the unsettled state of the housing market.

In particular i like this bit of straw grasping

While a strong uplift in prices looks highly unlikely, first-time buyers desperate to get on the housing ladder will be disappointed to hear that so too does a significant plunge. Low levels of activity will continue as more people lose their jobs and get further into debt, while mortgage availability remains tight. We are unlikely to see an improvement in any of these as household spending remains under pressure until well into next year.

A plunge is unlikely becasue a number of factors that would be consistent with falling prices are all aligned. She could only have sounded more ridiculous if she had mentioned that the numbers falling behind with mortgage payments is climbing despite the record low interest rates; low rates that must come to an end soon!

I smell fear!

Edited by Caveat Mortgagor

HOLA4423

Bloody parasites.

:lol::lol::lol:

Right on, bro....

Edited by juvenal