House Price Crash Forum

What Is It With Wrinklies And Their Sense Of Entitlement?

montesquieu

HOLA441

Just had an offer rejected of about 18% off asking. :angry:

Wrinkly boomer has told estate agent that she is holding firm for her asking price after a year and a half on the market (apparently she got an offer at asking near the start from a coupe who hadn't sold, which of course went pear shaped when they in turn couldn't sell).

Place is rather nice but - patently - not worth asking if it hasn't sold in 18 months. It's a nice place but is in shared grounds, and comes with a really steep monthly service charge. I think my offer price is fair.

Dipshit estate agent arguing the toss got my goat as well. Why should he be pissed off at me when it's the boomer that's wasting his time and advertising budget?

What is it with these people and their sense of entitlement? Asking is more than double what she paid in 2000, so she gets it for free plus a chunk of additional free money, assuming she's also been paying down a mortgage what's the ******ing problem? :blink:

Edited by montesquieu

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Just had an offer rejected of about 18% off asking. :angry:

Wrinkly boomer has told estate agent that she is holding firm for her asking price after a year and a half on the market (apparently she got an offer at asking near the start from a coupe who hadn't sold, which of course went pear shaped when they in turn couldn't sell).

Place is rather nice but - patently - not worth asking if it hasn't sold in 18 months. It's a nice place but is in shared grounds, and comes with a really steep monthly service charge. I think my offer price is fair.

Dipshit estate agent arguing the toss got my goat as well. Why should he be pissed off at me when it's the boomer that's wasting his time and advertising budget?

What is it with these people and their sense of entitlement? Asking is more than double what she paid in 2000, so she gets it for free plus a chunk of additional free money, assuming she's also been paying down a mortgage what's the ******ing problem? :blink:

She's not "giving it away" you know! As someone I know said when I suggested maybe she could sell it if she dropped the price a bit (despite trying to sell it for well over double what she paid many years ago).

The weird thing is I have heard her comment to younger friends "you'd never be able to afford it on your salary", but no connection seems to register....! Its a 2 bedroom terraced house, sort of thing a FTB should be after.

HOLA445

She's not "giving it away" you know! As someone I know said when I suggested maybe she could sell it if she dropped the price a bit (despite trying to sell it for well over double what she paid many years ago).

The weird thing is I have heard her comment to younger friends "you'd never be able to afford it on your salary", but no connection seems to register....! Its a 2 bedroom terraced house, sort of thing a FTB should be after.

Best one I saw was on a BBC forum. They needed the wealth transfer from housing because their pension (invested in stocks and shares) had not gone up by enough to pay for 30 years retirement with a good disposable income.

Well - I'm sorry about that! Let's enslave the next generation to fulfil your absurd expectations (which have never happened in history) at once.

HOLA446

You will find that most of these 'entitled' elders want their Cake and to eat it.

The other half's mother is trying to do the same. House on the market for 2 years, one offer and 1/2 dozen viewings.

Well I can't payback my mortgage and buy another house if I do not get the full asking price. The outstanding mortgage on the ex-council house is £40k, she paid £40k for in 1993!

That generation seem to think that they are entitled to a free house.

HOLA447

You will find that most of these 'entitled' elders want their Cake and to eat it.

The other half's mother is trying to do the same. House on the market for 2 years, one offer and 1/2 dozen viewings.

Well I can't payback my mortgage and buy another house if I do not get the full asking price. The outstanding mortgage on the ex-council house is £40k, she paid £40k for in 1993!

That generation seem to think that they are entitled to a free house.

Interesting thing is she's selling to rent ... wants to buy near daughter in Dorset down the line without a chain to limit her options.

Wouldn't be surprised of course if it's mortgaged to the hilt .... paid £180k in 2000, wants £400k now ... probably owes at least £180k :P

HOLA448

Heres a story i came across that sums up the miserable coffin dodging wretches.

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/4516818.EPPING__Campaigners_object_to_property_development/

Bald/grey old coots? Check

Retired/Nothing better to do than create misery? Check

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/resources/images/991681/?type=articleLandscape

The owners of the property applied to raise the roof of the bungalow and turn it into a two storey house with an extra third bedroom.

Sounds reasonable, eh...maybe they have an expanding family and thanks to boomer NIMBYs cant trade up to a bigger house.

but no...

CAMPAIGNERS said their pretty street scene will be ruined if owners of a bungalow are given permission to turn it into a two storey house.

So, their pretty street scene might be 'ruined'

Must be pretty darned amazing, huh. maybe some listed cottages, or a tudor street, something like this comes to mind...

Thatched+Cottages.jpg

erm, not quite. They destroyed one families right to improve their own home, to protect this, a run of the mill, grey, dull, souless 70s estate. A van in a driveway creates a bigger visual impact than turning a bungalow into a chalet.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=the+orchards+epping&ll=51.689146,0.116901&spn=0.008114,0.013797&hnear=The+Orchards&gl=uk&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.689231,0.116887&panoid=YDrFQ3nkBtF2iLUYlAujBw&cbp=12,185.46,,0,8.54

IS THIS COUNTRY UTTERLY UTTERLY MAD?

But funnily enough, if they all had big plots and could make money for themselves out of it, somehow i dont think 'ruining' the street scene would get talked about...

Thats the funniest bit for me...its that about 90% of this countrys housing stock is already ugly as sin. Theres nothing worth preserving in most cases.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

It's crap isn't it?

YOU buy a your own house as some ridiculous price, then THEY will not let you do what you want with it.

THEY forget it's your house, not theirs. :angry:

Might as well rent it because when you get old they will sell it to pay for your care.:unsure:

Edited by khards

HOLA4411

I do not understand the thinking of planning officials on such bungalows myself. We live on a 1970s estate and the local planners will not permit the 2 bed detached bungalows to be extended upwards. They are all on good size plots and the walls are strong enough. The estate is a mixture of single and two storey houses anyway - some detached and some semi-detached.

The only thing I can think is that the planners want these bungalows to remain smaller 2 bed properties because the town has an ageing demographic.

However, it is younger families and couples who have been buying these bungalows when they come up for sale because 1970s properties are unpopular and relatively cheap for the available space. We now have families stuck in 2 bed accommodation who cannot afford to move to a larger home and who are being prevented from creating an extra bedroom [alongside retired neighbours in four bed detached houses bought in 1974].

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
What Is It With Wrinklies And Their Sense Of Entitlement?

If they can`t get what they think it`s worth they don`t see the point in selling or moving on so at the end of the day they decide to stay where they are. Source a frustrated local Estate Agent. <_<

Would Errol sells you his holding of Gold at $500 an ounce. :rolleyes:

HOLA4414

If they can`t get what they think it`s worth they don`t see the point in selling or moving on so at the end of the day they decide to stay where they are. Source a frustrated local Estate Agent. <_<

Would Errol sells you his holding of Gold at $500 an ounce. :rolleyes:

Does everyone have to buy gold or sleep in the streets?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Does everyone have to buy gold or sleep in the streets?

The average HPCer claims to live in an old shipping container; only eats food out of bins; has a 10 year old mobile phone that he tops up once a year with a fiver and has worn the same pair of shoes since Tony Blair was in number 10 and has a car that remembers Maggie. Despite all this, he has a job in IT which earns him 200k per annum.

HOLA4418

The average HPCer claims to live in an old shipping container; only eats food out of bins; has a 10 year old mobile phone that he tops up once a year with a fiver and has worn the same pair of shoes since Tony Blair was in number 10 and has a car that remembers Maggie. Despite all this, he has a job in IT which earns him 200k per annum.

:lol:

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Sadly it's not always the coffin dodgers. There's a newish estate close to where I work where the developer, Crest Nicholson, have applied for planning permission to build a pretty small community centre. Out of curiosity I looked online at the planning documents wher I found this[PDF] gem:

I am against a community centre being built opposite my house. I was not told that this

was going to be built there when I purchased this property. I was told the area was going to be a

roundabout. I do not want this building to be built here.

:rolleyes:

Thats the funniest bit for me...its that about 90% of this countrys housing stock is already ugly as sin. Theres nothing worth preserving in most cases.

Well, there's that and that fact that most areas have changed so much that forcing people to keep some shitty old sash windows isn't going to have the positive effect they intend.

HOLA4421

I do not understand the thinking of planning officials on such bungalows myself. We live on a 1970s estate and the local planners will not permit the 2 bed detached bungalows to be extended upwards. They are all on good size plots and the walls are strong enough. The estate is a mixture of single and two storey houses anyway - some detached and some semi-detached.

The only thing I can think is that the planners want these bungalows to remain smaller 2 bed properties because the town has an ageing demographic.

You think they have a good reason.....thats your problem right there.

They consider it their job to say no as often as possible. Its the planning culture in this country. Draconian planning laws is the No.1 reason house prices are still so high (after loose money got them up in the first place)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

But, alas, the rent on my shipping container has been put up to £7pm, resulting in a net yield for my landlord of 0.003%.

That's too high and I shall be handing in my notice and looking for cheaper accomodation. Can you tell me more about those bins you mentioned? Are they south-facing?

HOLA4424

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/4516818.EPPING__Campaigners_object_to_property_development/

Bald/grey old coots? Check

Retired/Nothing better to do than create misery? Check

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/resources/images/991681/?type=articleLandscape

The owners of the property applied to raise the roof of the bungalow and turn it into a two storey house with an extra third bedroom.

Sounds reasonable, eh...maybe they have an expanding family and thanks to boomer NIMBYs cant trade up to a bigger house.

but no...

CAMPAIGNERS said their pretty street scene will be ruined if owners of a bungalow are given permission to turn it into a two storey house.

So, their pretty street scene might be 'ruined'

Must be pretty darned amazing, huh. maybe some listed cottages, or a tudor street, something like this comes to mind...

Thatched+Cottages.jpg

erm, not quite. They destroyed one families right to improve their own home, to protect this, a run of the mill, grey, dull, souless 70s estate. A van in a driveway creates a bigger visual impact than turning a bungalow into a chalet.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=the+orchards+epping&ll=51.689146,0.116901&spn=0.008114,0.013797&hnear=The+Orchards&gl=uk&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.689231,0.116887&panoid=YDrFQ3nkBtF2iLUYlAujBw&cbp=12,185.46,,0,8.54

IS THIS COUNTRY UTTERLY UTTERLY MAD?

But funnily enough, if they all had big plots and could make money for themselves out of it, somehow i dont think 'ruining' the street scene would get talked about...

It was only Epping town council, which is a parish council. The real decision rests with the district council who will make their decision on planning grounds, in accordance with the law.

HOLA4425

Why not politely reply with:

"I think you missed my point. I was actually saying...."

Instead of the roll eyes kiddie script?

I got the point but think its a false point. If Errol had been offered 500 per oz for gold when it was 500 per oz then he could have sold or held for higher. If he had been offered 500 when price was 1000 then he would rightly not sell. This is because gold is readily sellable and in a liquid market .

The poiint the op made was that this house has been on market for year and half and the biddies are treating asking price as market price . Totally different set of circumstances from buy sell or hold decision on gold stock.

Comparing them is pointless .

Edited by Sir Harold m