House Price Crash Forum

Wikipedia

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I have read their terms for deletion and none of them have been breached so really it comes down to a matter of opinion of whether or not HPC.co.uk should be within an encyclopedia. Personally I think it should as it discusses the economic impact of house prices which are a major topic of news across the USA and UK at present, right up to the highest level.

I'm buggered if I can work out how to add that to the discussion though!

HOLA445

Basically someone wants it deleted. As usual in "Wikilawyering" circles a bizarre argument is being cooked up re: FP.

What it needs is a long paragraph, heavily hyperlinked (aim for every third word) discussing the impact, notoriety, Krusty's outbursts etc.

Put FP in a seperate para.

What we really need though is a sympathetic "Wikipaedo" editor, experience shows you are up against powermad 13 year olds who will not listen to reason, just Jimbo's Hallowed Rulebook.

Edit: Sponsor for deletion is an "administrator". So it going to go, despite the fact that by his logic, Wikipedia itself would be un-notable and should delete its own page because most mentions of it go via Jimbo Wales.

Edited by Cogs

HOLA446
HOLA447

Just forget Wikipedia. Setup your own blog or website and link back to that from loads of other Web 2.0 sites such as Squidoo, Hubpages or Digg.

Wikipedia is another one of these Web 2.0 "authority" sites that once it got big pulled up the drawbridge with its "nofollow" linking policy with the result that the Google "juice" and traffic is sucked only one way..towards Wikipedia of course.

HOLA448
Just forget Wikipedia. Setup your own blog or website and link back to that from loads of other Web 2.0 sites such as Squidoo, Hubpages or Digg.

Wikipedia is another one of these Web 2.0 "authority" sites that once it got big pulled up the drawbridge with its "nofollow" linking policy with the result that the Google "juice" and traffic is sucked only one way..towards Wikipedia of course.

I don't care about link juice or whatever, I just think that HPC is a noteworthy subject no matter what crush the nominator has on Kirsty Allsop (look at the link in his original reason).

HOLA449
I don't care about link juice or whatever, I just think that HPC is a noteworthy subject no matter what crush the nominator has on Kirsty Allsop (look at the link in his original reason).

It is, and as no rules have been broken then it is purely a matter of opinion.

Can someone tell me how to get that added to the discussion about deletion please?!?

HOLA4410
It is, and as no rules have been broken then it is purely a matter of opinion.

Can someone tell me how to get that added to the discussion about deletion please?!?

Well the argument that could win is that the notability is not evidenced by substantial mentions in third party sources, and there's a point. That should fix itself over the next couple of days, although I suspect that the whole thing will be too far gone by then.

Consa's site will have got a victory as it was their trolling that originally got the article noticed by the admin with the Kirsty-crush.

Edited by IP Newcomer

HOLA4411
Basically someone wants it deleted. As usual in "Wikilawyering" circles a bizarre argument is being cooked up re: FP.

What it needs is a long paragraph, heavily hyperlinked (aim for every third word) discussing the impact, notoriety, Krusty's outbursts etc.

What we really need though is a sympathetic "Wikipaedo" editor, experience shows you are up against powermad 13 year olds who will not listen to reason, just Jimbo's Hallowed Rulebook.

Edit: Sponsor for deletion is an "administrator". So it going to go, despite the fact that by his logic, Wikipedia itself would be un-notable and should delete its own page because most mentions of it go via Jimbo Wales.

Wow...last paragraph :blink: aside it seems to me that you know what you are on about...

May I suggest that Cogs be nominated by HPC to launch a counter offensive on Wikipedia?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Wow...last paragraph :blink: aside it seems to me that you know what you are on about...

May I suggest that Cogs be nominated by HPC to launch a counter offensive on Wikipedia?

No, we don't need any counter-offensive. It won't matter much if we get deleted from Wikipedia, hpc will dominate Google without competition from that article. It's just encyclopedia worthy and it would be a shame to see it go due to silly reasoning and explaining away multiple media references.

HOLA4414
I am tempted to respond, but I think this requires a gentle touch.. quality not quantity etc.

Anyone who understands wiki fancy constructing a well referenced essay on the notoriety of HPC?

I'm pretty sure I'm not the man for the job :unsure:

I just need links in the mainstream media that reference hpc prominently or name things that hpc does.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Wikipedia is a very strange best. It's odd the way it allows itself to be taken over by people with a particular interest.

I once edited an article to include the number of threatograms TV Licensing send out each year (23.5 million a year - a really shocking number of dead trees). For seem reason it made someone livid and they did everything to take it out.

First it wasn't well enough sourced, then it wasn't neutral point of view, then it was in the wrong article, then it was first hand research, then.... It's only still there because someone else cared more than I did about keeping it there.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Let's just carry on doing what we do, if Wikipedia miss out for whatever reason...who cares?

Exactly its wikipedia's "loss." And there are plenty of other places on the web to publish HPC articles where you are not subjected to idiotic censorship by teenagers more interested in Doctor Who. Also where a link back to this site would actually count, as far as Google is concerned.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I agree politically the article is going, and nothing can be done. The reasons behind the deletion are probably to do with someone Portfolio (or there mums/dads portfolio) and a believe they can erase a crash by deleting the article

Edited by moosetea

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

The article could probably do with some fleshing out, but it's probably not worth a big fight. However I disagree with the assertion that all the mainstream press articles mention HPC "in passing". That must be true for thousands of sources, for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Which%3F (that's Which? magazine if you don't read hexadecimal).