• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Oh, right! You talking about what's on TV today? You got a big collection? Going to rent?

I was just in a book shop looking at this, put me in the mood for a good horror film!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monsters-Movies-John-Landis/dp/1405366974/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321199883&sr=8-1

The Burbs is always good. Starship Troopers is always a 'watch-again'. Can't go wrong with a Star-Trek movie!

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Does anybody ever watch the extras?

I tend to, plus I listen to the commentaries a lot while I'm working (a bit like radio).

Some good commentaries include:

Sideways

As Good As It Gets

Love Actually (Hugh Grant's comments about Colin Firth in particular)

Apparently the Gladiator commentary is very good (link).

For me (being the age I am) a classic Sunday afternoon film is usually something in B&W.

Reach for the Sky

Kind Hearts and Coronets

In Which We Serve

Whistle Down the Wind

That kind of stuff used to get shown on Sunday afternoons when I was a kind.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I've got 2 lined up

"Brief Encounter" and "A town like Alice"

Definitely BBC Sunday afternoon fare in the 70s (although I've never actually seen A Town Like Alice).

Great Expectations (David Lean version) should probably be in there as well, along with The Colditz Story.

HOLA4415

For me (being the age I am) a classic Sunday afternoon film is usually something in B&W.

Reach for the Sky

Kind Hearts and Coronets

In Which We Serve

Whistle Down the Wind

I'm was too young to see those when they came out, but like you I still associate a Sunday afternoon film with B&W oldies repeated on TV. Old Alec Guinness and John Mills films etc. I especially liked the 60's ones. Whistle Down the Wind is great.

HOLA4416

I'm was too young to see those when they came out, but like you I still associate a Sunday afternoon film with B&W oldies repeated on TV. Old Alec Guinness and John Mills films etc. I especially liked the 60's ones. Whistle Down the Wind is great.

Sunday TV in the 70s was very different to today. It didn't really seem to get going until the afternoon.

In the morning we had religious services on both main channels, as well as farming programs. At noon there was Weekend World for current affairs, followed by University Challenge (both on ITV, which was very different in those days). Early afternoon there'd be something like The High Chaparral and you'd usually get a B&W film at about 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Then at about 5-ish you'd get something like Black Beauty (a really good TV series IMO).

At about 7 there would be a LWT sitcom like On the Buses. Then TV would seem like a normal evening from then on.

ITV at about 10 would have an arts program (Aquarius or The South Bank Show). The BBC might have Barry Norman with Film XX.

I managed to find a listing of programs from BBC 1 from 20 November 1977:

0900 Playboard

0915 The Sunday Gang

Take a look at God's world with John Dryden, Tina Heath, Jill Shakespeare and Glen Stuart. Mackintosh Mouse opens a Munch Inn and Dodo has a conversation with herself.

0940 Nai Zindagi Naya Jeevan

A magazine for Asian viewers. Produced and presented by Mahendra Kaul.

1010 Parosi

A series of twenty-six programmes in Hindustani and English. The story of two asian families living in Britain - the neighbours of Windsor Road. Episode 8.

1025 Trade Union Studies

'Year Two - Trade Unions and the Economy'. Ten programmes for trade unionists. 7: 'Fairer Shares'.

1050 Kontakte

A series of twenty-five programmes for beginners in German. 8: 'Um Die Ecke'.

1115 Tele-France

A series of ten programmes. 8: 'Allez Les Verts!'

1140 On the Move

A lively look at words and letters with Donald Gee and Bob Hoskins with Polly James, Martin Shaw, Nigel Stock and Gay Hamilton.

1150 Your Move

Brush up your reading and writing with Brian Redhead and Ian Lavender, Arthur Lowe and Barbara Windsor.

1215 Sunday Worship

'Meeting Place'.

1300 Farming

1325 The Craft of the Potter

A series of five programmes presented by Michael Casson. 5: 'Talking About Pots'.

1350 News Headlines

1355 Film of the Book: Black Narcissus

1530 The High Chaparral

'The Lost Ones'.

1620 Bugs Bunny

'Falling Hare'.

1630 The Osmonds

Starring Donny and Marie.

1700 Royal Heritage

5: 'The First Three Georges'.

LINK

Can't imagine The Craft of the Potter on BBC1 on a Sunday afternoon today. That would be on BBC4 (if it was lucky).

Here's the ITV schedule for 05 June 1977 (notice the 10 AM start):

1000 Morning Worship

Jubilee Mass. A mass to commemorate the Queen's Silver Jubilee from the Roman Catholic Church of St Marie, Sheffield. The celebrant and preacher is the right Rev Gerald Moverley, J.C.D., Auxiliary Bishop of Leeds. [Yorkshire Television Production].

1100 The Beachcombers

'Potlatch'. Adventure in British Columbia.

1130 A House for the Future

Part 3: 'Other Lives: Other Life Styles' with Brian Trueman. Work on converting that Grant's old coach-house goes on - but the television team sets off to look at other people's solutions to the pressures of industrial life. [Granada Television Production].

1200 Weekend World

Peter Jay heads a team of top reporters which puts internationally important events into a new perspective. [London Weekend Television Production].

1310 Cartoon Time

1315 The London Weekend Show

Another edition of London's current affairs programme for young people in which Janet Street-Porter looks at the kind of topics that effect you in the capital today. This week: the first of a two-part programme on the problems facing young people with an unwanted pregnancy. [London Weekend Television Production].

1345 The Protectors

'Lena' by Trevor Preston. A girl journalist places herself in grave danger when she sets out to expose an Italian politician.

1415 Sportsworld '77

Dickie Davies introduces the summer magazine featuring a variety of sports. This week: the British Hovercraft Grand Final from Kent; Sailing - Weymouth Olympic week; Speedway - the Northern Masters. Plus an exciting quiz with an electronic game as a prize. [London Weekend Television Production].

1500 Film: The Lions Are Free

Whatever happened to the lion which took part in Born Free, Elsa the lioness? This fascinating documentary film, narrated by Virginia McKenna, investigates what happened when Elsa, brought up by Joy Adamson, wife of Kenya game warden George, grew too big to be a household pet. To save her from life in a zoo, George trained her to hunt, to adjust to a life without human protectors, to be a wild animal once again.

1600 The Strauss Family

'Hetti' by David Butler. Johann Strauss marries Hetti Traffz and becomes even more successful. But the couple's happiness is marred by two deaths in the family. [ATV Network Production].

1700 King of the Castle

By Bob Baker and Dave Martin. Episode 5 - Roland attempts to see the Lord. [HTV Production].

LINK

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Sunday TV in the 70s was very different to today. It didn't really seem to get going until the afternoon.

In the morning we had religious services on both main channels, as well as farming programs. At noon there was Weekend World for current affairs, followed by University Challenge (both on ITV, which was very different in those days). Early afternoon there'd be something like The High Chaparral and you'd usually get a B&W film at about 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Then at about 5-ish you'd get something like Black Beauty (a really good TV series IMO).

At about 7 there would be a LWT sitcom like On the Buses. Then TV would seem like a normal evening from then on.

ITV at about 10 would have an arts program (Aquarius or The South Bank Show). The BBC might have Barry Norman with Film XX.

I managed to find a listing of programs from BBC 1 from 20 November 1977:

0900 Playboard

0915 The Sunday Gang

Take a look at God's world with John Dryden, Tina Heath, Jill Shakespeare and Glen Stuart. Mackintosh Mouse opens a Munch Inn and Dodo has a conversation with herself.

0940 Nai Zindagi Naya Jeevan

A magazine for Asian viewers. Produced and presented by Mahendra Kaul.

1010 Parosi

A series of twenty-six programmes in Hindustani and English. The story of two asian families living in Britain - the neighbours of Windsor Road. Episode 8.

1025 Trade Union Studies

'Year Two - Trade Unions and the Economy'. Ten programmes for trade unionists. 7: 'Fairer Shares'.

1050 Kontakte

A series of twenty-five programmes for beginners in German. 8: 'Um Die Ecke'.

1115 Tele-France

A series of ten programmes. 8: 'Allez Les Verts!'

1140 On the Move

A lively look at words and letters with Donald Gee and Bob Hoskins with Polly James, Martin Shaw, Nigel Stock and Gay Hamilton.

1150 Your Move

Brush up your reading and writing with Brian Redhead and Ian Lavender, Arthur Lowe and Barbara Windsor.

1215 Sunday Worship

'Meeting Place'.

1300 Farming

1325 The Craft of the Potter

A series of five programmes presented by Michael Casson. 5: 'Talking About Pots'.

1350 News Headlines

1355 Film of the Book: Black Narcissus

1530 The High Chaparral

'The Lost Ones'.

1620 Bugs Bunny

'Falling Hare'.

1630 The Osmonds

Starring Donny and Marie.

1700 Royal Heritage

5: 'The First Three Georges'.

LINK

Can't imagine The Craft of the Potter on BBC1 on a Sunday afternoon today. That would be on BBC4 (if it was lucky).

Here's the ITV schedule for 05 June 1977 (notice the 10 AM start):

1000 Morning Worship

Jubilee Mass. A mass to commemorate the Queen's Silver Jubilee from the Roman Catholic Church of St Marie, Sheffield. The celebrant and preacher is the right Rev Gerald Moverley, J.C.D., Auxiliary Bishop of Leeds. [Yorkshire Television Production].

1100 The Beachcombers

'Potlatch'. Adventure in British Columbia.

1130 A House for the Future

Part 3: 'Other Lives: Other Life Styles' with Brian Trueman. Work on converting that Grant's old coach-house goes on - but the television team sets off to look at other people's solutions to the pressures of industrial life. [Granada Television Production].

1200 Weekend World

Peter Jay heads a team of top reporters which puts internationally important events into a new perspective. [London Weekend Television Production].

1310 Cartoon Time

1315 The London Weekend Show

Another edition of London's current affairs programme for young people in which Janet Street-Porter looks at the kind of topics that effect you in the capital today. This week: the first of a two-part programme on the problems facing young people with an unwanted pregnancy. [London Weekend Television Production].

1345 The Protectors

'Lena' by Trevor Preston. A girl journalist places herself in grave danger when she sets out to expose an Italian politician.

1415 Sportsworld '77

Dickie Davies introduces the summer magazine featuring a variety of sports. This week: the British Hovercraft Grand Final from Kent; Sailing - Weymouth Olympic week; Speedway - the Northern Masters. Plus an exciting quiz with an electronic game as a prize. [London Weekend Television Production].

1500 Film: The Lions Are Free

Whatever happened to the lion which took part in Born Free, Elsa the lioness? This fascinating documentary film, narrated by Virginia McKenna, investigates what happened when Elsa, brought up by Joy Adamson, wife of Kenya game warden George, grew too big to be a household pet. To save her from life in a zoo, George trained her to hunt, to adjust to a life without human protectors, to be a wild animal once again.

1600 The Strauss Family

'Hetti' by David Butler. Johann Strauss marries Hetti Traffz and becomes even more successful. But the couple's happiness is marred by two deaths in the family. [ATV Network Production].

1700 King of the Castle

By Bob Baker and Dave Martin. Episode 5 - Roland attempts to see the Lord. [HTV Production].

LINK

I seem to recall that the following were on Sunday evenings in the 70s:

The World About Us (flippin great for a kid)

All Creatures Great and Small (flippin great again)

Shoestring (and again!).

HOLA4420

Sunday TV in the 70s was very different to today.

1025 Trade Union Studies

Certainly was. Haven't seen many programmes educating the populace about trade unions on BBC1 recently! Probably an OU show.

This was pre-Thatcher govt. Shows how the propaganda is so firmly with the capitalists now.

HOLA4421

I am still haunted by memories of the Last of the Summer Wine music in the 70s reminding me the weekend was finished and school was the next day...

A couple of films that I think are especially underrated:

The Likely Lads. For once a TV spin off that works. Some great one liners ("I'd offer you a beer but I've only got six cans"!) and that sense of fading youth and lost opportunities that makes the tv series such a bitter sweet pleasure.

Along Came Polly I usually hate rom coms but this is a cut above mainly due to the genius of Alec Baldwin and Philip Seymour Hoffman. The character of the diving instructor is good too. Well worth checking out...

Eta im going to have to go ahead and recommend Office Space. I'm a big fan of Ricky Gervais but I've never looked at him in quite the same light after seeing this film?..

HOLA4422

I seem to recall that the following were on Sunday evenings in the 70s:

Shoestring (and again!).

Loved Shoestring. I was a bit put out when Trevor Eve left after only 2 series. I think he was worried about typecasting.

A couple of films that I think are especially underrated:

The Likely Lads. For once a TV spin off that works. Some great one liners ("I'd offer you a beer but I've only got six cans"!) and that sense of fading youth and lost opportunities that makes the tv series such a bitter sweet pleasure.

Definitely. There aren't many sitcom film adaptations that complement the source material and The Likely Lads is one of the best.

True they do the usual sitcom film thing of "going on a trip" (the most extreme example being Are You Being Served), in fact they go on two, but here it feels like a natural part of the plot.

The established continuity of the Likely Lads saga is frequently referenced (Miss Hindmarsh, Deidre Birchwood)

It also contains a bit of chocolate box philosophy that is more pertinent and accurate than the one in Forest Gump:

Bob: In the chocolate box of life the top layer's already gone. And someone's pinched the orange creme from the bottom.

My favourite line is:

Bob: When it comes to women you're hardly Omar Sharif.

Terry: If Omar Sharif lived in Gateshead I doubt he'd be Omar Sharif.

Is it me or is there some sexual tension between Terry and Thelma. After all, there was that coach trip incident in Blackpool back in 1967.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Reach for the Sky

Kind Hearts and Coronets

In Which We Serve

Whistle Down the Wind

+1

Passport to Pimlico

Whisky Galore

Also the odd Will Hay film, still make me laugh.

HOLA4425

Loved Shoestring. I was a bit put out when Trevor Eve left after only 2 series. I think he was worried about typecasting.

If that theme tune sounds familar, that's because it it.

Shoestring was reincarnated as Bergerac, which ran for 10 years (ending 2 decades ago).

Archived