House Price Crash Forum

The Welcome Thread For New Members

HOLA441
Guest grumpy-old-man

welcome to all the newbies.... :)

Don't be shy to post, you have to start somewhere. Have a look round some of the old threads if you get time.

The fact that you have found this site gives you a great view on what is really happening in the property market & a great overview on economics.

I still struggle with the economics so don't be afraid to ask questions, I still do.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Hi, I am an 30 year old economics teacher in Oxford. I bought a house in Oxford as a FTB 3 years ago with a self certification mortgage (7 times my actual salary. )

I'm glad I didn't listen to people who said, wait a few years for prices to come down.

As an economist, I have written several essays on the UK housing Market, but I haven't a clue whether there going to go up or down. Of course it doesn't stop me writing very long essays :)

regards,

Richard

HOLA444
HOLA445
Hi, I am an 30 year old economics teacher in Oxford. I bought a house in Oxford as a FTB 3 years ago with a self certification mortgage (7 times my actual salary. )

I'm glad I didn't listen to people who said, wait a few years for prices to come down.

As an economist, I have written several essays on the UK housing Market, but I haven't a clue whether there going to go up or down. Of course it doesn't stop me writing very long essays :)

regards,

Richard

Watch your posts Fingo.

As a teacher of any sort you are prime bait for the Spell Police. I think you got away with it this time because not many people read the new member section. :P

HOLA446

regards,

Richard

So Richard you openly admit to being paid to write cr@p , but thats the art of being a economist , just make it up as you go along :P .

HOLA447
HOLA448

Hello - 25 Y.O. City lad, works in the less glamourous side of life in insurance, rather than the bonus driven Bolly drinking bunch down the road in the investment houses.

Decided to take the plunge 2 years ago to buy (a '2 up, 2 down') for first time, and now in the process of moving on up to 3 bed semi, with G/F to help balance the fairly hefty mortgage.

Been looking at the site for quite some time, and decided it was now time to get involved.

Hello all!

HOLA449

Hi,

I have been an obsessive of the news blog site probably for the last year or two. Clearly this has increased as I am now posting on the forum. Look forward to joining in discussions...

As a bit of background, I am a renter not yet bought and have been waiting for prices to decrease since 2005. As the gamble of waiting (ok was also saving a deposit) has not paid off - thinking of bottling it and buying later in the year if status quo remains.

My area SE london so prices pretty high. :rolleyes:

HOLA4410

Hi, been reading this forum with interest so thought I'd join in.

Moved to Aberdeen in the late 80's in the height of the house price slump which made us wary of purchasing.

Glad we did as this city did a complete u turn and now even offering 30% over the asking price doesn't guarantee success.

Was hoping to move home to N Ireland in the near future but out of the frying pan...

Great site.

HOLA4411

Hi there,

There are a lot of interesting things on this site that I've read so I thought I'd join to post a few things myself. I live in London on poverty wages so whatever happens to house prices wil probably result in me leaving London. If they go down, rents will probably go up so I wouldn' be able to afford it, even in the poor quality type of shared accommodation I currently live in. If they continue to rise, as landlords cash in on their investments, rents will still rise as new landlords look to provide a return. I've already had one flat sold from under by a landlord doing this. Like lots of people, I can do little else but hold on and see what will happen.

HOLA4412
So Richard you openly admit to being paid to write cr@p , but thats the art of being a economist , just make it up as you go along :P .

You crack me up Sharkey :lol:

As an economist, I have written several essays on the UK housing Market, but I haven't a clue whether there going to go up or down. Of course it doesn't stop me writing very long essays

As an engineer, I have blown several boards, but I haven't a clue whether there going to go up or down. Of course it doesn't stop me miss-spelling
there

HOLA4413
Hi there,

There are a lot of interesting things on this site that I've read so I thought I'd join to post a few things myself. I live in London on poverty wages so whatever happens to house prices wil probably result in me leaving London. If they go down, rents will probably go up so I wouldn' be able to afford it, even in the poor quality type of shared accommodation I currently live in. If they continue to rise, as landlords cash in on their investments, rents will still rise as new landlords look to provide a return. I've already had one flat sold from under by a landlord doing this. Like lots of people, I can do little else but hold on and see what will happen.

That is a bit of a sad post :(

If I were younger, single , and with no ties, I would move.

Canada.

HOLA4414

Hi All

Just thought I would introduce myself. I have been around property for a while and am a member of other forums ( I have even written a book on how to make money from property) but for some reason, I am not sure why, I have not posted on this site yet. I have come and viewed it on occasion but just never posted. Anyway I got a bit bored with some of the other forums and fancied a change so here I am.

I look forward to reading some interesting posts, learning lots and perhaps being a help to people myself.

HOLA4415
Hi All

Just thought I would introduce myself. I have been around property for a while and am a member of other forums ( I have even written a book on how to make money from property) but for some reason, I am not sure why, I have not posted on this site yet. I have come and viewed it on occasion but just never posted. Anyway I got a bit bored with some of the other forums and fancied a change so here I am.

I look forward to reading some interesting posts, learning lots and perhaps being a help to people myself.

That's nice for you. I've been around property a bit too. Funny I don't remember you.

Still, you wrote a book so you must be ok. If you need a hand finding out where you went wrong I'm sure we can find out for you.

Enjoy the site :)

HOLA4416

Hello there!

I actually posted on other threads already. I saw this thread too late, sorry about that.

I've been lurking on this website and forum for days now and I decided to finally. Both the site and forum contains some info that'll help me improve my knowledge on house buying and selling, and all the processes that goes with it.

i hope to be of some help, too, when I can. i'm still a little raw over these topics, though. :lol:

HOLA4417

Thought I'd better stop by here, although I've plunged into discussions already. I've lurked here for a while, but read the board on the Fool every day. Don't know why I'm so interested in house prices. I guess because I remember the last crash so clearly and was a bit of a 'Forrest Gump, naive, everyman' at the time. Older and wiser, I'm waiting for what I feel is an inevitable correction, but the market sure can stay irrational longer than you could credit it!

HOLA4418

hello,

I'm french and I've been watching this incredible bubble since its beginning...

I made this to help it pop now it's ripe : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CABGPFV8OwE

The song is in french but the animation is quite fun anyway.

If anyone of you would write a nice and funny translation, I would publish the video with english subtitles...

thanks in advance

HOLA4419
hello,

I'm french and I've been watching this incredible bubble since its beginning...

I made this to help it pop now it's ripe : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CABGPFV8OwE

The song is in french but the animation is quite fun anyway.

If anyone of you would write a nice and funny translation, I would publish the video with english subtitles...

thanks in advance

Par excellence !

I think the soundtrack translation is unnecessary, it works well even if you don't understand French. :P (Where's the smilie with a beret?)

HOLA4420

Hi

I've been lurking on here for a few weeks. I discovered this forum as part of my research into the house price situation. I think I've understood the global liquidity

situation earlier on I'd have jumped back onto the house market a few years earlier

(with the benefit of hind sight of course ;) )

I'm based in London and renting a work/live unit. I think I've missed the boat now in terms of getting a reasonably priced home in London. However I'm self employed (but not self employed long enough to get a reasonable priced mortgage) and because I work in Internet Marketing, could almost carry out my trade anywhere there is broadband internet connection.

So I've been toying with moving to Spain and getting a long term holiday let for a while, or perhaps France where there are some proper properties around for less than £100k and unlike in Eastern Europe, haven't been hyped up out of all proportion. I do like London life which would be a bit of wrench as it is a great place to live and work.

Also in London there is large disparity in what you can rent, compared to what you can buy. Also I can't see how the newer BTL's who only have one or two properties can compete with more established BTL's who got in a lot earlier and managed to get bulk deals with the builders.

The local newspapers in London seem to be doing everything possible to keep the hype rolling. Last week a paper described the market as "white hot." This seemed to have been largely written for them and based on a press release from Foxtons, who were claiming 60 viewers for every available property.

My own feeling is that house prices might rise a lot higher, in a classic South Sea bubble kind of way and the higher the bubble, the bigger the crash. I have little confidence in Central Bankers who I think are more interested in shoring up the financial system, rather than helping FTB's and existing owners.

I hope the Tories peak too soon and that Brown narrowly squeaks back in so the crash or readjustment occurs while he is in office.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

have been reading the site since aug 06,house had been on the market since may and finally sold ,much to our relief.so now we (partner,two sons}are in winter let ,converted barn, national park gorgeous views we could NEVER afford to buy somewhere like this .have to move out in 3 weeks .am a bit anxious ,dont know how its going to feel being officially N.F.A and it will affect stuff like not being on the electoral register,so not being registered to vote,where does the post go etc etc BUT the feeling of RELIEF wathcing council tax rising ,water rates etc and knowing we have NO DEBT is so much more exciting .have booked the winter let for next winter as well, have got a big boat and a yurt and we are going to CHILL OUT AND PARTY...................and spread some good ,peacefull,hopefull, hippy vibes around ............youre welcome to pop in for herbal tea and a chick pea rissole .

HOLA4425

Hi there,

Have been reading this forum for the last few weeks, and have finally decided to post.

Have been in the position where we have moved twice and hence sold twice in the last 2 years due to jobs. We are now renting a brand new flat, (which we can rent for £400 a month when it cost the BTL landlord £110K plus carpets, curtains appliances etc. ) and keep an eye on the ever increasing property prices South of Glasgow. Cannot believe that house prices continue to rise when earnings are constantly being eroded by a higher cost of living.

The amount of irresponsible lending that this government has allowed makes me sick. The hype and spin which we hear from the estate agents, developers and lenders - well, what can I say - they won't be so happy when the prices fall.

We are in the position now where we either pay way over the true value for a house, or wait until the bubble bursts and buy at a reasonable price, which hopefully will happen soon! :lol:

Looks like we will wait another few months and see how things go. In the meantime I will continue to read this forum and enjoy the many informative posts.

Cheers

Long Way Down