House Price Crash Forum

Moving To Germany

pablopatito

HOLA441

Biggest issue is getting a position, language will come if you need it. I moved to Germany in 99 and could work fully in German in a year. I really only needed it in German only meetings of which there were a few of every month, specifically Geschaefleitungs(site mgt team) and Works Council meetings. In the office we used to speak German in mornings and English in the PM so everyone got a go at it, everyone wanted to speak their second language.

I moved to Belgium 6 years ago, my French is now OK enough to get by now but its not as good as my German as I dont need ot use it as much, my wife and daughter speak fluent French and German and my daughter also speaks Dutch. Its all about need, if you need it then you will learn it. Get teh kids into local school. My daughter moved from primary school in Germany to primary in Belgium and spoke no French befoe the move, 6 months and she spoke French. Dutch was easy for her as she already spoke German and was mother tongue English speaker.

I would recommend some immersion classes before you go to at least help you make out the words, otherwise it just sounds like noise. The regional differences in German are pretty large so regardless of where you go it will be different from your high(Hoch) German that you will learn in the UK.

If you want it then its possible, its not always easy but its not massively difficult. We actively avoided the ex pat thing and international schools but still ended up with a lots of English speaking friends.

Find a job first, then plan the rest round it. Tax is higher as is healthcare costs so take that into account. Rent until you are sure its where you want to live and work long term. Set a minimum termof 2-3 years, it will fly in.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

If I were doing it I would probably set up my own business and work with English speakers over the internet. I already earn £3-400 a month through some hobby websites so I'd hope that doing it fall time I could make a reasonable living.

Personally moving abroad has no interest for me (even though my wife and son are bi-lingual!) as I think you just replace one set of problems with a whole new set. Unless of course you have a real connection / passion for the new country.

Not sure now is a good time to move to the Eurozone!

What I might do is move to a more remote part of the UK, coming from London there are plenty of places I could now move to mortgage free, this would allow one to take the risk of setting up an online business which just has to make enough to cover costs. Sounds attractive but would one be any better off?

HOLA443
HOLA444

There is never a totally perfect time for things like this. Don't do it expecting it to make you rich financially and you won't be disappointed and you might get lucky and be surprised. There are always loads of folks that are always going to do it in a few years or would if they could but very few actually do it. You either want to or you don't. I agree it does not solve all the issues, its just a new set of different problems.

Just stay flexible and look at it as an adventure, you do need your spouse to be fully on board as their life is actually changed more than your life is as an office or factory floor is pretty similar the world over...age should not be a barrier if your head is the right way with respect to a move.

Edited by abroad