Just Paid £1 Off My Mortgage With 2p I've Found On The Floor

HOLA441
  • Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Small change lads

I lost a fiver out my pocket last monday but found a tenner on the pavement on saturday

got to speculate to accumulate

I'd be gutted, could have paid £15 off the mortgage with that.

Can you give me any indication as to where you lost the money? I might be able to retrieve it and pay if off my mortgage. :P

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Another £2.40 paid off, although £1.10 was from my own pocket in 50p and 20p at the end of each month whatever loose change I've got left gets added into the pot.

It might be worth running a magnet over the coppers before you do anything rash with the money.

I worked out that the copper in a 1p is actually worth 1.2p at todays price (twice as much for 2p).

If there is deflation the coin will retain its face value while if there is inflation the copper in the coin will maintain its value so you can't lose

Pre 1992 were copper. Later ones copper plated steel. (except oddly 1998 2p half of which were copper because they couldnt get the plated blanks)

I keep a jar and pop the copper coins in there.

A magnet on a string would also be an excellent way to pick up loose change in wishing wells and ornamental lakes etc.

HOLA447
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA448
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I'm currently putting all the money I find on the street in a jar and paying it off my mortgage.

Today was the first time I've got £1 in 2p so I've been and paid it off, along with 80p in 10p.

So far I'd paid off £3.50 in pound coins and 50ps. Although that was really £3.52 as I found another 2p on the way to the bank to pay it in.

Not filled the 1p bag yet and I'm probably about £3 short of 5ps.

Obviously I'm also overpaying by larger amounts but every penny counts.

Over the length of the mortgage all of these pennies will add up.

Although the wife does think I'm a bit insane and I don't think she'd take the pennies into the bank.

Over the lifetime of the mortgage I expect to pay off several hundred pounds this way.

First time I've read this. Absolutely amazing: - simply can't believe you have a wife.

( :P )

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA4414
  • 5 months later...
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
  • 5 months later...
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Sounds like free money :)

I have noticed on frequent trips back to the UK that many people don't bend down to pick up coins in the street (in London mainly). My son had a great time picking up coins all over the place, when we stayed there a few years back. Is it a snobbish UK thing not to pick up coins? :rolleyes:

HOLA4420

Sounds like free money :)

I have noticed on frequent trips back to the UK that many people don't bend down to pick up coins in the street (in London mainly). My son had a great time picking up coins all over the place, when we stayed there a few years back. Is it a snobbish UK thing not to pick up coins? :rolleyes:

I'm going to London on Thursday, could prove to be quite profitable then. :)

I never turn down free money.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

BAse Rate Tracker?

Unfortunately not. I picked wrong at the time, my gut feeling was that the central bankers would panic if TSHTF and would cut rates, the Halifax went tits up about 3 weeks too late. Although there was no guarantee they would cut like they did, my gut instinct was that they would try and save the over leveraged. If I'd have gone that way I'd be paying a fortune off my mortgage.

Some you win some you loose.

HOLA4423

Unfortunately not. I picked wrong at the time, my gut feeling was that the central bankers would panic if TSHTF and would cut rates, the Halifax went tits up about 3 weeks too late. Although there was no guarantee they would cut like they did, my gut instinct was that they would try and save the over leveraged. If I'd have gone that way I'd be paying a fortune off my mortgage.

Some you win some you loose.

I nearly comitted to a 5.8% fix but procrastinated long enough to watch the SVR drift down to 2.5%. Sold up a year later and now pay twice as much in rent. Some you win, some you lose :lol:

HOLA4424
HOLA4425