House Price Crash Forum

Fair Price

vman7

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

If it's the house I suspect you are talking about (5K recent reduction?) I wouldn't hold out too much hope of having 107k accepted when vendors only reduced it by a meagre 5k a couple of months ago....

The problem with this development is the developer is still crazily asking £150k for new 3 bed semis which you couldn't swing a cat in - which may set vendor expectations higher than they should be.

There are also a lot of rental properties in this development, something to be aware of.

Of course, it may be somewhere else entirely. ;)

HOLA444
HOLA445

thinking of putting in a bid for a house. its a 4 bed semi-detached in newtownabbey area. its up for £175k and the rateable value is £145k

Any ideas on what i should go in at for my first price?

I'm long past individual reqs but I still do it on occasion if a post gets my interest.

Need a postcode b4 I can start.

That would be the full postcode.

PM me once you posted it on HPC as I tend not to chase the boards as I used to.

I'm still pretty good at research, even go the house owners dogs name from a property over 8,000 miles away once and managed to find out the man of the house was out for 6 months as he was a submariner and let slip his ship name.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Sorry to butt in and tell me if I should create a new thread rather than add to this one, I was just reading this and since the other users seem to know the Newtownabbey area I was hoping you might give me some advice too. I have been a long time lurker and finally sold my own house last year, this is my first post so forgive me if I ramble.....

We are now renting and didn't intend to buy for a bit longer in the hope prices would continue to fall. We have been persuaded onto the market again by a house which is at asking price of £175 - over 3000sq ft, rateable value 105K but set before extensive renovations were completed. We offered 148K which was rejected, then 160K last week, which was also rejected. Today I got a call to say there is another offer of £161K. Is there any way to verify this offer? Any advice much appreciated...

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

it is indead

Am i making a mistake?

I would tend to agree with 2buyornot on ths one, especially @170K, and I've viewed these houses; they are nice to be fair. It was only when I saw it was Aylesbury I realised why it wasn't on my shortlist as I'm looking a 4 bed as well. :P

Since you asked, I would avoid for the following reasons....and include Mayfield in this as well.

Too many rentals in the development - as an owner you don't really want to be living beside a house that's rented for obvious reasons (no offence to those currently renting)

Pipe bomb incidents around Mayfield the neighbouring development - google it.

Heard rumours of drug dealings in kiddie playgrounds in Mayfield and a colleague claims he suffered intimidation due to his religion and moved out.of Mayfield.

Basically, it's a posher New Lodge....

I'm not sure what these would be worth now but as a comparison I do know the development Rogan Wood had much nicer houses and the developer sold 4 semis @165K each approx 2 years ago now. Based on that I would estimate going in around 135-140K but I would say it would be knocked back pretty quickly given the dev is still trying to flog 3 bed boxes for 149,950.

HOLA4415

The size is due to outhouses that have been converted, the rest of the house isn't overly big....Re Aylesbury I wouldn't be too keen due to sher size of the development.

Apart from than I heard that the majority of Newtownabbey's housebreakers live there! :blink: But that is total hearsay so if anyone reading is a resident please don't attack me!

Anyways, any thoughts on the veracity of my alternative bidders??

HOLA4416

i may start giving up on newtownabbey as everytime i mention an area to friends/family they keep coming up with negatives!!

I thought the area looked safe and clean. handy with tesco express and motorway around the corner

Is blackrock ok?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

i may start giving up on newtownabbey as everytime i mention an area to friends/family they keep coming up with negatives!!

I thought the area looked safe and clean. handy with tesco express and motorway around the corner

Is blackrock ok?

I've lived in G'gormley for 10 years happily enough to be honest but these developments I would steer clear off for reasons already mentioned. It's hard to find spacious 4 beds in Glengormley though that aren't new devs.

HOLA4419

Thanks Doccyboy, I just said 'thanks for letting me know' to the agent, and will do as you suggest and get a friend to call tomorrow. She said the vendor had turned down the offer and wants £170. I was thinking that I should wait and see if this other bidder increases their offer, since the vendor turned them down....

HOLA4420

I haven't heard anything about Blackrock tbh. I would advise a move further from Glengormley, maybe Carrmoney? Jordanstown may be too expensive. Have you looked around the Old Carick Road, Brambles development etc?

Haven't heard anything negative about Blackrock either. I think the houses there are very expensive though so maybe that reflects on it being a better area. It's a bit remote for my liking though it has a bus service now. Likewise for me the Old Carrick Rd & Brambles are very nice but just a bit too far out. I can see why the OP liked the idea of Aylesbury as its a short commute and convenient to motorway and shops etc.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Bergy thats exactly why i looked at Aylesbury as its close to the motorway for work and for getting into belfast etc.

My lease runs out in June and i am torn between paying £600 rent or buying a HOME. Its really is tough for a FTB as the uncertainty keeps putting me off, massive desposits, price of house falling, losing job etc etc

I read a report recently which mentioned that FTB's could be in their 40's!! just another 13 years to go for me then

HOLA4424

Seems to be broadly correlated with the normal seasonal variation in sales in the housing market i.e price increases in early spring for the 'bounce' , reductions at year end when not as much buyer interest.

So a simple counter strategy is don't buy a new house in the spring, wait to the middle of winter.

Edited by lolacarrascal

HOLA4425