House Price Crash Forum

Clapton

nickyp

HOLA441

Hello one and all.

Wonderful forum you have here, I am impressed with the economics section!

Aside from the general outlook going forward which is clearly unpredictable, I wondered what people's thoughts were on this property and it's value:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32132513.html

EA tells me they have turned down 220k on it. I looked around last week and was impressed with the size and the fact that it has a garden. So far I have been looking at similar stuff South of the river which is obviously cheaper. I know Clapton has a pretty grim rep, but this part is nice and I think the overspill of middle class folk from nicer bits of Hackney is making it less scummy by the day.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Nicky

HOLA442
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA443
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA444
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA445
  • 1 year later...
HOLA446

Good morning.

I've been reading the forum, and whilst I find the general discussion of property prices interesting, really can't have you dissing my hood to this extent. :-)

Clapton is doing well for the following reasons:

11 minute rail link to Liverpool St. Huge Victorian properties, many intact with original features, many with large gardens.

Walking distance from Dalston and Stokey; easy distance from Islington and Shoreditch; not too far from West End. Good range of buses. (Admittedly I get a lot of cabs as the buses are slow, which is the main downside for me, but then living here, I can afford to.)

Springfield Park and Marina - beautiful and peaceful, bordering on a nature reserve. Lea Valley park. Stables and ice rink. Great library.

As for crime, if you tense up when you see a hoodie, or generally feel vulnerable, it's not for you. I popped out to the cashpoint at 1am this morning and then got wine and milk from a 24 hr shop; I wouldn't walk teeter home drunk in high heels, with an expensive handbag, I'd get a cab, but that's the same everywhere. If you take reasonable precautions you'll be left alone, and the yoot generally only bother one another. In the Hassidic streets, you're probably safer than most places. When I moved in 10 years ago, getting the last train from Liverpool St. felt a bit scary. Now, it's packed, with lots of people getting off at Clapton and happily walking home.

It's still shabby and rundown on the main drag, but it's far from a hellhole. Trendiness continues to spread outward and it's the next area predicted to take off - if I had investment money I'd open a posh coffee shop here, right now. Seriously. There's a gastro pub and an art cinema opening by the roundabout in the next couple of months. Chatsworth Road is getting chi chi.

Sorry, had to put the record straight as I see it - people buying here aren't complete mugs, they want easy City access, good property, convenient amenities and green space. Carry on!

HOLA447

Good morning.

I've been reading the forum, and whilst I find the general discussion of property prices interesting, really can't have you dissing my hood to this extent. :-)

Clapton is doing well for the following reasons:

11 minute rail link to Liverpool St. Huge Victorian properties, many intact with original features, many with large gardens.

Walking distance from Dalston and Stokey; easy distance from Islington and Shoreditch; not too far from West End. Good range of buses. (Admittedly I get a lot of cabs as the buses are slow, which is the main downside for me, but then living here, I can afford to.)

Springfield Park and Marina - beautiful and peaceful, bordering on a nature reserve. Lea Valley park. Stables and ice rink. Great library.

As for crime, if you tense up when you see a hoodie, or generally feel vulnerable, it's not for you. I popped out to the cashpoint at 1am this morning and then got wine and milk from a 24 hr shop; I wouldn't walk teeter home drunk in high heels, with an expensive handbag, I'd get a cab, but that's the same everywhere. If you take reasonable precautions you'll be left alone, and the yoot generally only bother one another. In the Hassidic streets, you're probably safer than most places. When I moved in 10 years ago, getting the last train from Liverpool St. felt a bit scary. Now, it's packed, with lots of people getting off at Clapton and happily walking home.

It's still shabby and rundown on the main drag, but it's far from a hellhole. Trendiness continues to spread outward and it's the next area predicted to take off - if I had investment money I'd open a posh coffee shop here, right now. Seriously. There's a gastro pub and an art cinema opening by the roundabout in the next couple of months. Chatsworth Road is getting chi chi.

Sorry, had to put the record straight as I see it - people buying here aren't complete mugs, they want easy City access, good property, convenient amenities and green space. Carry on!

Hmm.

To be fair I've not really been there since the 90s so my intelligence is no doubt a little out of date. Mind you, I used to live right next to the Pembury estate, epicentre of the Hackney part of the riots last year, & the TV coverage made it look exactly the same [other than the spread of Blackberry messenger].

HOLA448

Clapton's certainly better than it was. The roundabout's as bleak as it gets but there are some very nice properties in that area. Transport's alright if you like buses.

The new gastropub on the roundabout is the old Chimes/White Hart isn't it? It's a development by Antic who tend to open in what they consider to be up and coming areas. Their places tend to be very good. The one they opened last year in Leytonstone has just been given an award by the Campaign For Real Ale.

Chimes was a very, very rough place. I can't help but think that Clapton's improvements might be related to Chimes being shut down by the Police a few years back.

HOLA449

Yes, Clapton is clearly neither as grim as its historical reputation suggests - nor as likely to completely gentrify as those wedded to pre-crash dynamics believe. If gentrification has reached its high watermark, and is beginning to recede - then Clapton will be vulnerable.

Its an interesting case-study actually, being right on the fringe of trendy hipster London (which is bearing up well, in line with bankster London funnily enough) - whether it can cling on to recent gentrification gains in the medium-term will be quite revealing. To my mind, last summer's riots were in part an expression of the fightback of those disenfranchised by the march of the hipster/chi-chi class.

HOLA4410

...Transport's alright if you like buses...

yeah. when i went to look roudn a rental property there ages ago i went on the bus at about 2pm or something, little to no traffic, the #38 or #30 or whatever glided there from somewhere in the WC2 postcode in about 25 mins, I thoght 'this is great'. my first 8AM commute in rush hour traffic was a bit of an eye-opener.

HOLA4411

To my mind, last summer's riots were in part an expression of the fightback of those disenfranchised by the march of the hipster/chi-chi class.

I think that's a good call.

Though it's not so much a 'fightback' as a scream of anger.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4412

I don't agree that it's as straightforward as that. Hipsters aren't yuppies, they don't have conspicuous wealth (having spent it on housing, in some cases), especially compared to the gangs.

They may have more life chances, and better prospects (or not, these days) but they don't have better phones, tellies or trainers. The trendiest youngsters have naff all, and dress out of charity shops.

The new pub by the roundabout is The Clapton Hart and it is very nice, attracting hipsters (many of whom count out their pennies to buy a pint).

HOLA4413

Bus to the WE is slow in rush hour, but I go from Clapton (or you can walk 5 mins to hackney from lower clapton) to Liverpool St, then get central line, takes about 40 mins overall to Oxford Circus, or go to Walthamstow and get on Victoria line.

Funny, I would like to move soon, as there's just too much of a buzz here, but feel I have to hang on to see the prices rise (and if they fall, they will fall everywhere).

HOLA4414

I don't agree that it's as straightforward as that. Hipsters aren't yuppies, they don't have conspicuous wealth (having spent it on housing, in some cases), especially compared to the gangs.

They may have more life chances, and better prospects (or not, these days) but they don't have better phones, tellies or trainers. The trendiest youngsters have naff all, and dress out of charity shops.

The new pub by the roundabout is The Clapton Hart and it is very nice, attracting hipsters (many of whom count out their pennies to buy a pint).

somewhere there is a research project waiting to happen concerning the true socio-economic position of the hipster group. But I have to say that my experience of them has been of people with generally meagre incomes (granted) but usually with indulgent and prosperous families who underwrite their borrowing and spending habits, up to and including the purchase of property.

HOLA4415