House Price Crash Forum

Calling All Hpc Armchair Psychoanalysts

R K

HOLA441

Overpriced newbuild with furniture specifically purchased and stupid liar lens attached to the camera to make it look larger than it is. Because if they trick you into visiting, and you actually see it, and then know it is tiny and completely inadequate for your needs, you're still going to buy it.

Problem with EAs is they think everyone else is as thick as they are.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

The lengths people will go to, to avoid paying for a TV license.

edit and to add: that "apartment" looks like the biggest load of prefabricated shite I've ever clapped my eyes on. I bet I could punch my fist through all those walls.

That would wake 'em up.

Edited by pl1

HOLA446
HOLA447

Judging by the architecture, it looks like an ex-hospital, probably a former lunatic asylum. We have a similar develpment here in Haywards Heath: the Sussex County Lunatic Asylum (later called St Francis Hospital). Now they are absurdly overpriced flats - sorry, apartments. The furniture looks like the stuff someone not very intelligent has put in a show flat. I used to know a Mr Rose, who was a professional designer and furnisher of show flats, and he was very good, unlike these no-hopers here. I also have a very creepy anecdote about the perils of doing research and lunatic asylums, but it is a bit long-winded....

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Overpriced newbuild with furniture specifically purchased and stupid liar lens attached to the camera to make it look larger than it is. Because if they trick you into visiting, and you actually see it, and then know it is tiny and completely inadequate for your needs, you're still going to buy it.

Problem with EAs is they think everyone else is as thick as they are.

"Problem with EAs is they think everyone else is as thick as they are."

:P:P:P Like it. Good line. B)

LIAR LENS ? :blink::unsure: ?

Edited by eric pebble

HOLA4417

The OP asked for armchair psychoanalysts. Right, I would say that the person who furnished this room had big problems: -

The room is big, and they only had a small budget to make it look like it could be lived in. Normally big rooms are a selling point, so why does this one seem like it is in an institution? Simple, it was an institution, now converted, and they are trying to gloss over the fact that it was a hospital and/or asylum. Somehow it has all gone wrong because they are dissembling. In short, they are in denial, hoping that no one will notice that this living room was once a place of suffering, a ward in a hospital. You wonder why it feels uneasy?

It reminds me a bit of a modern version of the final scene in The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (for the film freaks out there.)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I will add that the conversion seems to have resulted in extra floors being inserted to double the number of units they could squeeze in. That's why the ceilings are so low, the windows are strange and half height, and all in all completely the wrong proportions for a Victorian building of the 1860s. It should have high ceilings. Another reason why it looks so wrong and weird. It’s been mezzanined.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Bit late to the party, but I think the major psychological challenge here is to understand who the developer is aiming this at.

Starter home? £260k seems a bit steep for a pre-family young couple needing a two bedroom flat (even if it is in one of the nicer more expensive parts of Manchester.

Family home? Only two bedroom.. no use for anyone planning more than one child or having granny to stay.

Retirement Home? Perhaps the ground floor would make an ok retirement flat, but I didn't see any mobility assistance to help people get to the upper flats.

Holiday home? Not likely some how.

Looks like one of those places which looks nice but is completely impractical to 90% of home buyers. I guess I will be proved wrong when it sells for 10% over asking price courtesy of some canny investors..

Edit to add: I would have thought most buyers looking in the area would go for something more like this.. Linky. Not much bigger, but ticks the three bedrooms and a garden boxes plus the price looks negotiable.

Edited by libspero