House Price Crash Forum

Bristol.

Sofa Spud

HOLA441

Not really looking forward to coming back.

The "over density populated" urban area, crap housing, expensive public transport.

It will be nice to see friends and relatives again, but I am sure I will get fed up with them soon enough.

Yes it's a shame really, having made the initial big move to Ireland. England is nice for those who bought a well-located house or plot 20 years ago or more and who have lucrative work but it's pretty ordinary otherwise.

Can you rent while looking for a job back in Ireland?

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

I have just bagged a new job in Clifton, Bristol.

I must say Clifton off of white ladies road is a right dump. A mixture of decaying flats office building and rundown student dwellings.

Christmas trees dumped in the street

Music blaring out.

Cars in every nook and cranny.

Pavements cracked with tree roots coming out

Wet decaying leaves everywhere, generally poor condition street furniture

Old decaying railway station.

Awful! I understand people pay a lot of money to live in that area - why? Is it a historic thing like is was nice there about 100 years ago so branded posh? Or is it always been a dump?

The only thing I could see going for it is it has some shops, but generally you wouldn't want to live in a shopping center would you?

Whiteladies is the student-y area, so fairly predictably vast amounts of the local economy focus on alcohol and takeouts, and the living arrangements are largely HMOs, with many cars per property and studenty lifestyles. Christmas trees would have been out for collection. Having street trees to soak up pollution and make a nice environment mean tree roots.

Five minutes to the east you're into Cotham (student-ish, but less concentrated, gorgeous buildings), five minutes west Clifton village (only students there are rich, the really nice bit).

Clifton Down station's a fairly ordinary suburban station, on the severn beach line, was ill-used until a few years ago when real investment in the local rail system started.

If you define "Clifton" as whiteladies road, you'll necessarily have a bad view of it. The more normal thinking definition is "Clifton goes up to but stops about ten metres short of whiteladies road", using which it's eminently desirable, and one of the most expensive parts of the country. Dealing with this is also why you talk about Clifton Village as a separate entity (by splitting it out, you wind up with an area it's pretty much impossible to criticise).

HOLA444

Can you rent while looking for a job back in Ireland?

I was offered a job here, but couldn't face going back into embedded firmware development and essentially working in a factory.

Basically I have decided to return, rise above the idiots and fight the system the best way I can.

I like a challenge!

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA445

I'm not far to the east of Cheddar, but have the advantage of working in Bristol city centre and having a direct bus service from home for those days when I'm not cycling. I really want to get back to Bristol close to civilisation, friends etc. but the rents there are staggeringly high - beyond a sensible level considering that I'm at the 'would like to start a family' phase of married life so want to ensure that we can live on a single (below average!) income.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA446

Decided to rent a 3 bed bungalow in Highbridge (No links please!)

45 min commute, so not too bad as I was looking at that in Ireland.

15 mins from the mother-in-laws and friends in the Glastonbury area.

All in all not a bad deal £775pcm rent on a nice £185k bungalow that is newly refurbished with good garden, garage and parking.

Decent shops in Bridgwater down the road.

all in all quite happy about things art the moment. The only things I am not looking forward to are bills that I did not have to pay in Ireland (council tax, water & TV license (which i should have) )

Swift change of name from "Gone To Ireland" to 'Wurzel of Highbridge'

HOLA447

Decided to rent a 3 bed bungalow in Highbridge (No links please!)

45 min commute, so not too bad as I was looking at that in Ireland.

15 mins from the mother-in-laws and friends in the Glastonbury area.

All in all not a bad deal £775pcm rent on a nice £185k bungalow that is newly refurbished with good garden, garage and parking.

Decent shops in Bridgwater down the road.

all in all quite happy about things art the moment. The only things I am not looking forward to are bills that I did not have to pay in Ireland (council tax, water & TV license (which i should have) )

Swift change of name from "Gone To Ireland" to 'Wurzel of Highbridge'

Don't you dare pay that TV License

HOLA448

Don't you dare pay that TV License

Little chance of escaping it in the UK - the TV NATZI's will be after me.

That's what great about Ireland, they have the laws and rules, but nobody to enforce them - it's practically paradise compared to here.

No wonder everyone has solar panels to escape the electric NATZI;s

• 1 month later...
HOLA449

I subscribe to a daily Rightmove email summary of new properties which come onto the market in Bristol in the price range £250 to £500k. Between 5 and 15 normally appear each day.

I am shocked at several things. Three bedroom houses appearing in the 400-500k range. Four bedroom houses for nearly £500k with outdated pink bathrooms, a dreadful kitchen, and dubious decoration. I can't believe that anyone is prepared to pay the asking prices for what in my opinion are pretty s****y houses.

Then there are the new builds at Filton. The properties seem nice inside, but forget about front gardens - they are a thing of the past. Back gardens are tiny and horribly overlooked. Garages are laughable as they are too small to take a reasonably sized car. The roads are very narrow so you wouldn't really want to park there. That leaves only one space in the drive (as the garage is probably unusable). Ironically it makes Coronation Street seem luxurious with the houses further apart front to front across the road than the new builds. Forget about a grass verge as they too are a thing of the past. Even the back yards in Coronation Street (with outside kazi) are bigger than you get in one of these new builds. And a bargain at £300-400k. And they are being snapped up (if we are to believe the sales staff as they point to all the stickers on their site map).

I use the Filton link road to get from the Mall to the A38. One of the new builds is side on and again I am just shocked at how thin (back to front) the houses are. Now that this link road has got really busy, is living right next to it a good idea? And of course the headline price is the 20% "discount" price thanks to the Governments "Right to get into debt / help the bankers" scheme.

No sign of HPC in the Bristol area.

HOLA4410

I subscribe to a daily Rightmove email summary of new properties which come onto the market in Bristol in the price range £250 to £500k. Between 5 and 15 normally appear each day.

I am shocked at several things. Three bedroom houses appearing in the 400-500k range. Four bedroom houses for nearly £500k with outdated pink bathrooms, a dreadful kitchen, and dubious decoration. I can't believe that anyone is prepared to pay the asking prices for what in my opinion are pretty s****y houses.

Then there are the new builds at Filton. The properties seem nice inside, but forget about front gardens - they are a thing of the past. Back gardens are tiny and horribly overlooked. Garages are laughable as they are too small to take a reasonably sized car. The roads are very narrow so you wouldn't really want to park there. That leaves only one space in the drive (as the garage is probably unusable). Ironically it makes Coronation Street seem luxurious with the houses further apart front to front across the road than the new builds. Forget about a grass verge as they too are a thing of the past. Even the back yards in Coronation Street (with outside kazi) are bigger than you get in one of these new builds. And a bargain at £300-400k. And they are being snapped up (if we are to believe the sales staff as they point to all the stickers on their site map).

I use the Filton link road to get from the Mall to the A38. One of the new builds is side on and again I am just shocked at how thin (back to front) the houses are. Now that this link road has got really busy, is living right next to it a good idea? And of course the headline price is the 20% "discount" price thanks to the Governments "Right to get into debt / help the bankers" scheme.

No sign of HPC in the Bristol area.

Are Filton Taylor Wimpey ?

Same type of estate in my neck of the woods.

The top spec build has 6 bedrooms and can sleep 11 (no attic and the single bedroom is the dining room). It has no front garden, an 18m2 living room (for 11 people) and a similar sized back garden. It does have a narrow double garage.

The estate is single carriageway, and so no on road parking and also lots of hassle getting in and out the further in the estate you live.

All lower spec houses have a single allocated parking space despite sleeping from 5-9 persons (3 bed to 5 bed).

I don't know what any of the owners on the estate would do if they chose to have a housewarming or let alone a dinner party as there is no additional parking within at least 0.5 mile.

Kitley Estate

The photo of the show home was taken before the 2nd stage of development that has put a row directly behind and elevated so that they loom over the back gardens.

All sold with HTB. Some of the smaller have sold as BTL.

IMO, the estate is a sad waste of precious development land.

• 2 months later...
HOLA4411

Haven't posted for a while.

Checking Rightmove we now seem to have a bit of a supply surge in parts of North Bristol, but not massive, and most of it has been on the market before in the past couple of years.

On the anecdotal side, in 2012 we had some private discussions with people who were interested in selling (letters through doors). They were looking at £425k - £450k. That property has now just been listed with an agent for £600k... Luckily we bought elsewhere for a better property for a lower price.

Now is definitely not a good time to buy - in 2012 a sense of stagnation had set in, so discussions around semi sensible prices were just about possible if you found the right seller and didn't go through an agent. Now, post HTB and the current London boom, sentiment among sellers and agents is simply delusional. Best to sit out until post 2015.

• 3 months later...
HOLA4412

I have moved away from Bristol but on a recent visit I drove down the link road between the A38 and the Mall. I was disgusted at just how messy and crammed in all the new builds are. I did look at some of these houses last year and inside they are OK, but the developers have crammed them together so close that many have tiny gardens and are badly overlooked. Some of the more recently built houses are lined up so close together that they might as well be built as terrace houses.

The roads are not very wide, so not great when vans or visitors park. Then again the garages are not big enough to fit modern cars and driveways are limited. There are no grass verges or front gardens. As I have posted before this estate makes Coronation Street seem spacious in comparison.

When I last checked you can't even get VirginMedia broadband, but some other broadband outfit I have never heard of. I googled this company and the reviews were not favourable.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

That whole area is a Slum of The Future. Crap transport links, traffic hotspot and as you say, awful homes. So poorly planned and executed by the housebuilders. Bristol lost a key asset (Filton runway) and replaced it with toytown.

Current new builds really are crap. 3/4 bed townhouses with 1 parking space! Lunacy.

Near me there always seems to be a high number of these for sale at 1 & 2 years old.

HOLA4415
  • 7 months later...
HOLA4416

No one commenting on this thread since October last year - is this a sign that posters have given up?

In the upper part of the market (BS8 BS4), prices are now above what they were in 2007. Stuff that was on at around £500k during the trough in 2012/13 is now in the upper £700k mark. A extra £200k + is a big wadge in just two years. Things also seem to be shifting (based on a not very scientific browsing of Rightmove) although not too sure how quick. All a bit depressing for the waiter.

This part of market is obviously being impacted on by London - where relocation of London money can set way above normal market prices

I guess this must be filtering through to the rest of the Bristol market and the pick up of the investment side must have changed the dynamic in the BTL hunting grounds south of the river.

In short, nothing looks even close to fair value. Suspect nothing will until the London market turns. This fair?

HOLA4417

No one commenting on this thread since October last year - is this a sign that posters have given up?

In the upper part of the market (BS8 BS4), prices are now above what they were in 2007. Stuff that was on at around £500k during the trough in 2012/13 is now in the upper £700k mark. A extra £200k + is a big wadge in just two years. Things also seem to be shifting (based on a not very scientific browsing of Rightmove) although not too sure how quick. All a bit depressing for the waiter.

This part of market is obviously being impacted on by London - where relocation of London money can set way above normal market prices

I guess this must be filtering through to the rest of the Bristol market and the pick up of the investment side must have changed the dynamic in the BTL hunting grounds south of the river.

In short, nothing looks even close to fair value. Suspect nothing will until the London market turns. This fair?

Agreed from a Southsider. Bog standard cr@p ending up on the market at silly prices.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34881486.

The terrible shape on the rooms would make me dizzy! I reckon 2 years ago that would have been on the market for no more than £225k. Nothing has ever sold for more than £243k on that road.....

Not sure what's leading to this, some trickle down from London as you mention, but more likely just desperate EAs trying to desperately get some instructions. Certainly we get stuff through the door every single day offering valuations. It feels like the market is close to seizing up with the lack of properties coming to market. I guess we can just watch for the reduction, as surely nobody is going to pay that, right?

• 1 year later...
HOLA4418
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4419
On 03/04/2017 at 9:26 AM, ExiledMatty said:

Friend bought pokey 3 bed terrace in BS4 last year for 250k (madness).

Next door (identical) just sold for 320k. More madness.

Bristol is looking very toppy at way over 100 miles from London!  Must have a lot of well paying jobs there? However to be fair I knew of people living in Bristol and commuting to Green Park in Reading!

I've lived there a couple of times in the past.  First time was in the early 90's.  I knew several people who bought houses in Bristol then.  I remember one of them was for £27k in Totterdown!

HOLA4420

A number of friends of mine in the city have moved from London or the South East, often with big deposits from equity. This is quite common as Bristol is increasingly looked upon as London Lite.

As for well paying jobs, well they will be some for sure, but there are a lot of crap ones too. Most people I know would really struggle if their mortgage payments went up.

• 3 years later...
HOLA4421

I wonder how many people knocking Bedminster on here back in 2008 wish they had bought there when it was cheap! BS3 is one of the most expensive parts of the city now! But I hope to god it does crash there so I can buy and live amongst the chavs!!

But on with the post, whats peoples opinions on where Bristol might go, we are in a bubble in the gurt lush city but will it pop???

I'm praying it does and all the Londoners have to retreat back to whichever bland accentless cities they came from...except the ones I like of course, they can stay!

• 1 month later...
HOLA4422
On 06/08/2020 at 23:41, Bemmymate said:

I wonder how many people knocking Bedminster on here back in 2008 wish they had bought there when it was cheap! BS3 is one of the most expensive parts of the city now! But I hope to god it does crash there so I can buy and live amongst the chavs!!

But on with the post, whats peoples opinions on where Bristol might go, we are in a bubble in the gurt lush city but will it pop???

I'm praying it does and all the Londoners have to retreat back to whichever bland accentless cities they came from...except the ones I like of course, they can stay!

Nearly bought there in 1993 during the recovery. Ended up buying elsewhere in Bristol. It was a 3 bed for 60K while many of the neighbours, who bought at the peak in late 1980's, paid 120K and were severely under water. It can and does happen, Just can't tell when.

• 1 year later...
HOLA4423

Hello all! I'm a renter who would like to share my story, as rent in Bristol has become really insane and it has made a major impact on my life. 

Back in 09 as a lad I would do houseshares. You could get rooms for 240-280pcm, 350 being the high end with a cleaner and such - that would count as luxury or a really nice area (clifton et al). It was doable on whatever you did.

5 years later the rent was rising so fast that renting an apartment in the city was a pipe dream. Another 5 years later I relocated completely. Look below. These are houseshares people. Houseshares! 

3-person double in Eastville £850pcm: [Spareroom Link]
3-person single in Southville £750pcm: [Spareroom Link]
3-person single in BS3 (?): £770pcm [Spareroom Link]
4-person single in Fishponds: £789pcm [Spareroom Link]

Gumtree says your rates go as low as 450, chances are you'll be paying 600-700 due to getting out of luck. There's nowhere to park, your landlord belongs in an asylum, your housemates are either worse or come from London - the flat prices in the new builds are double - and don't forget you need a car!

There are currently two movements to fix rent in Bristol:

Bristol Council: Help us tackle the rent crisis in Bristol - bristol.gov.uk (02/03/2022)
Shelter: Demand fair renting for Bristol | Campaigns - Shelter England

Start lobbying! Join forces! Bristol rent is insane insane insane.