House Price Crash Forum

I Hate This Country

daddybear

HOLA441

Oh I get it...TEFL is a private company advertising ELT (English Language Teachers) people.

they say:" Nowadays, it is absolutely essential to have received formal training prior to embarking on your career around the world".

Essential for whom?

You dont need a TEFL to teach English.

No, you don't, but if you don't speak the other person's language it is very helpful in, among other things, showing you how to put concepts across.

I found my course absolutely invaluable in teaching mostly speakers of Arabic. Watching experienced teachers was incredibly helpful.

I'm not saying I couldn't have done it otherwise, since I had studied several languages and had absolutely no problem with grammar etc.

But a TEFL course helps you to understand the problems a learner will have.

You yourself have never had to learn your mother tongue the way foreign learners have to. You have picked up very complicated constructions without even thinking about them,

It's not at all the same as e.g. teaching French or German to other native speakers of English.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

The UK isn't the worst place in the world, and actually we are among the richest people in the planet - scary huh?

You don't get it do you?

We are printing money to fund a £130bn a year deficit. Getting that deficit to zero is now going to take at least 7 years instead of 5 because like Labour the coalition have started printing money. That enables more government spending so pushes a zero deficit further into the distance. That means another 7 years of adding to our debt. By the time If we get the deficit to zero our debt to GDP will be over 100%. Then we have to pay the debt down.

This means are living standards are going down in a big way because we are not rich at all. We have been living beyond our means.

Our interest rates are only low because we are suppressing them by printing money to buy our own debt. QE cannot go on forever.

Living in the UK means a life of get less, pay more and work more.

HOLA443

This has to be one of the most sensible posts ever -excellent advice.

Get learning a foreign language and get the ****** out of this place.

I'm off to Spain - taught myself Spanish - and gonna’ chill out in the warmsun, not read any papers and drink until dead.

(The alternative of dribbling in an old folks home and being bullied by lowpaid ‘don’t give a shite’ can’t speak English care workers, just ain’t gonnahappen)

This country has been degraded beyond belief since WW2.

This post brought to mind the "Billy" sketch from Victoria Wood's show in 1986, starring the great Hugh Lloyd, although humorous the real life situation hasn't changed from this much for old people has it? :lol:

Agree 100% about learning a language and getting out of the UK, I've lived in Germany and now Holland, and yes both have been immeasurably better than the UK, no rip off banks and utilities, high tax but you get stuff back for it, far better kept and safer environment for a start, and affordable and frequent public transport

Edited by madpenguin

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

If you find the UK bad you're going to find 95% of the planet really f*cking awful.

Seriously, there's not many countries better than the UK. Obviously Norway, Switzerland and the like.

Living in hell-holes like Brazil is totally different than going on holiday there.

Depends what you measure for quality of life. Most countries aren't as technologically advanced as the UK, don't have the relative wealth (!) or infrastructure but most of the countries I've been to have much friendlier people and seem far happier as a result.

The people in the UK are, in general, far too greedy and entitled for their own good.

To the OP. Leave. Its that simple. The worst thing that happens is you gain some perspective on exactly how reletively bad your life in the UK actually is.

HOLA447

Depends what you measure for quality of life. Most countries aren't as technologically advanced as the UK, don't have the relative wealth (!) or infrastructure but most of the countries I've been to have much friendlier people and seem far happier as a result.

The people in the UK are, in general, far too greedy and entitled for their own good.

To the OP. Leave. Its that simple. The worst thing that happens is you gain some perspective on exactly how reletively bad your life in the UK actually is.

But if you are very wealthy then the UK is a no doubt a wonderful place to be. You tell your chauffeur all the places you want to avoid seeing.

HOLA448

Oh I see. You mean you don't understand how I could explain the present perfect to a Chinese person without speaking to them in Mandarin. Is that what you are getting at? There are techniques, mainly involving diagrams. It is entirely possible to teach someone English from scratch only speaking to them in English. I have done it myself. You do need to have a student with the patience of Job however and need to plan your lessons extremely well to stop them getting bored.

I'd strongly recommend your relative gets some qualifications, just out of respect for her students and a bit of peace of mind. Here are some sites to kick off with:

http://www.tefl.com/

http://www.eslcafe.com/

True, you don't need a TEFL to teach English. You're much more likely to get work if you have one though, and a higher qualification (CELTA etc) is necessary in a lot of places.

A professional appearance and speaking 'proper' BBC English is also highly valued, it seems. Understandably, a lot of foreigners struggle to understand British regional accents and some cultures don't have much respect for a teacher in flip flops with three days' beard growth.

HOLA449

True, you don't need a TEFL to teach English. You're much more likely to get work if you have one though, and a higher qualification (CELTA etc) is necessary in a lot of places.

A professional appearance and speaking 'proper' BBC English is also highly valued, it seems. Understandably, a lot of foreigners struggle to understand British regional accents and some cultures don't have much respect for a teacher in flip flops with three days' beard growth.

Not to mention a familiarity with basics, such as knowing the difference between its/it's, your/you're, etc.

Daughter working way round Oz and SE Asia on a CELTA was often mortified to see other supposedly qualified teachers being picked up on such mistakes by confused students who'd often worry first because surely the teacher would know?

She didn't like to tell them that no, they didn't know, and very likely didn't think it mattered a toss.

Edit: her good-grade CELTA enabled her to get relatively well-paid jobs fairly easily, inc. in Oz. Lots of Japanese students, just for starters.

For anyone thinking of it, there are lots of courses that might be cheaper but will basically just dish out some sort of certificate to anyone who's willing to pay.

From a jobs POV It's well worth shelling out for a good CELTA course, which will be bloody hard work, esp. the usual one-month intensive type.

Edited by Mrs Bear

HOLA4410

Not to mention a familiarity with basics, such as knowing the difference between its/it's, your/you're, etc.

Daughter working way round Oz and SE Asia on a CELTA was often mortified to see other supposedly qualified teachers being picked up on such mistakes by confused students who'd often worry first because surely the teacher would know?

She didn't like to tell them that no, they didn't know, and very likely didn't think it mattered a toss.

Edit: her good-grade CELTA enabled her to get relatively well-paid jobs fairly easily, inc. in Oz. Lots of Japanese students, just for starters.

For anyone thinking of it, there are lots of courses that might be cheaper but will basically just dish out some sort of certificate to anyone who's willing to pay.

From a jobs POV It's well worth shelling out for a good CELTA course, which will be bloody hard work, esp. the usual one-month intensive type.

I would second this. The CELTA costs around a grand for a four week course, but will pay for itself within the first couple of pay cheques. Don't bother with cheap alternatives- they're not universally recognised. Here's a ballpark idea of what a fresh CELTA teacher can earn per month in GBP after tax in various places around the world:

Spain: 1000

Greece: 800

Germany: 2000

Russia: 1600

Japan: 1500

Poland: 1000

Italy: 1000

UAE: 2000

Saudi Arabia: 2000

Thailand: 600

China: 1500

These are perhaps rather low, but are usually supplemented by free accommodation and flights. And foreign girls :)