House Price Crash Forum

Morocco - My Next Target

HOLA441

Again Im in good company if Saidia doesnt work out. Here's just a few of the companies investing on the iste, Hilton, Barcello, Fadesa (Spains 2nd biggest), Armani, Channel, Boss, Marie Eaux, Mango, Budha Bars, Aparthotels. The 2 supermarkets are a big Spannish chain called 'Carrefour' - I guess they expect a decent return and have done thier homework.

Other investments include Emaar (worlds biggest dev), the people (forget the name) behind Sun City and the One and Only brand, Ryan air and many more.

But hey, what do they know!

The world changes you know, Malaysia was third world 40 years ago. Now its the 16th richest.

Negative people said Ireland would remain the basket case of Europe as recently as 8 years ago!

Morocco has 6 Government sanctioned sites within Plan Azur. Saidia is the pinnacle dvelopment and will certainly become a world renowned destination.

EDIT TO ADD; You have lots to say on which investments you consider bad.

Id be interested to know which you would consider a good home for your hard earned?

I think Enron was pretty big as well, but hey, what did they know !

I know all the designer shops you keep ranting about here in Morocco - yes, they'll all doing a roaring trade......

Maybe they're in it for the real long term. Maybe they are prepared to lose in Morocco to gain exposure and with other sites in other countries making handsome profits. Ask them.

My business is in Manufacturing, raw industry.

Regarding real investments, I could tell you that actually I am currently looking for a working business partner. $300,000 for 50% share, 10year business plan, been here 4 years already, sales growing nicely, profits circa $2.25m within 7-10 years, local market and exports.

Interested ??

Real business (i.e. factory, machines, workers, sales team etc), real product (physical), real customers (anyone with a roof over their head will have what I produce and need what I've got)

Real future.

No hype.

My company is already the biggest No.1 and only importer of said product. I've created the market, we're No.1 out here. Heck I've even been on the National TV, press and now I'm going to produce local and eventually export all over Africa.

It took 3 years of being here to sniff. That's why I keep asking you do you really know what you are doing ? I don't think you can see it because you've never even been here.

Mind you though, if you were interested in my real business, and I mean really interested, you'd have to get behind the 18th or so other really interested serious people who are already willing to chuck their money my way.

Regards.

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

And ONLY a greedy fool stuck in the property hype groove will fail to realise that Moroccan's lives won't improve just because you've out-priced them out of their local market, in many ways, and not just in property.

How do you know the price of (e.g.) local produce will remain the same historically once you've arrived ? Could it not go up ridiculously due to the new local resident's deeper pockets ?? What, do farmers just grow more do they ?

And the other land owned by the locals, is mostly owned by the already affluent - so they'll only get richer. And what will they do ?? Give the poor ones a leg-up ?? No, make sure they *never* get up !

I didn't say pouring in Aid was the answer. Where did I say that ?

Where is YOUR BUSINESS MODEL that YOU are making. By buying a holiday home ?

And then what, flogging it off to the next Mug.

Locals learning to carry your Golf clubs will always remain at the bottom of society, don't kid yourself of that Dogbox.

Hi Big Log,

I know i said that things had gone a bit quite and then all of a sudden i come back from lunch and we have a full blown debate on our hands.

At the end of the day everyone has there own view which is the whole idea behind having this forum. The world would be a boring place if we were all the same.

Another point that nobody has mentioned yet is the 1200 affordable homes that Fadesa have to build over the next 5 years in the town of Saidia which will be for Key workers of the resort and will also be at a preset price of (please dont take this as an exact figure) 25,000€.

I can see that you are very passionate about Morocco Big Log and can also understand your concerns for the local people which really does impress me. I would really like it if you might send me a personal message on your real thoughts to the development in Morocco. I was in La Saidia on Friday and it was the first time that i have come through Oujda airport and seen military personel ( due to the kings visit ) He was supposed to be there on the Saturday but i understand that he actually arrived yesterday and there were thousands of people with flags along the streets and roads all the way from Oujda to Saidia.

It is very impotant for myself as an agent (to which i have never hidden the fact) to get the best overall view that i possible can. I promote this forum + channel 4, buying moroccan property and La Saidia/ Le Jardin de Fleur to all clients that i talk to and its great for them to get such a vast range of opinions.

Thanks,

Andy

HOLA443

Hi Andy,

I'm just passionately against property speculation - irrespective of Morocco, Dubai, UK or anywhere else.

I just do not believe it to be a legitimate, healthy form of investment.

It just messes things up.

It does nobody any favours longterm.

Not for us, not for the locals, not for our children, no-one.

HOLA444

Hi Big Log.

I understand your standpoint and until recently my stance would have been somewhere between yours and that of DogBox. But I have found my views changing. Take this comparison - not an ideal comparison, but I'm sure you'll get my point:

I've been to Estonia twice in last few months. Their economy is doing well and both property & land are appreciating at a very high rate. There are a lot of Estonians that can see how to make money if they had £30k or so to start with, but they simply don't have that kind of money. (Average salary is about £5k p.a. Very low considering prices of new build property there.) They have been priced out of their local property market - as will be happening in Saidia. Yet they don't complain. Things are much better for them now than before. Many of them remember what it was like to not have food or a roof over their heads from the Soviet era. They would not change back. So while there are the negatives you have mentioned, the benefits can outweigh them. That's my view anyway - more akin to views of Dogbox and others.

Its certainly encouraging to here about courses designed to help locals grasp the opportunities that will come thier way.

Hi Soup Dragon,

I noticed your posting on the C4 forum with regards to getting direct contact with developers so here goes.

La Saidia.

www.fadesa.co.uk - contact details available on their website.

www.lejardindefleur.com - Property Logic - no contact details available on ewebsite but send me a pm and i will give it to you.

www.oasismorocco.com - Superior - contactdetails available on their website

www.grupotasa.com - Tasa - Good luck with this one as their website is in spanish but should be in English within the next 2 weeks.

Other projects

Emaar - http://www.emaar.com/morocco/ - Not released yet

Port Lixus - Thomas and Piron - www.port-lixus.com - Villas being released next month

Mogador - Thomas and Piron - www.mogadoressaouira.com - Not yet released

Mazagan - Kerzner - http://www.northpoint.co.za/newsite/mazagan/mazagan.htm - Not yet released

HOLA445
HOLA446

Thanks Andy

No problem, if you need any further info then please feel free to contact me directly.

Andy Welland

Overseas Property Manager

Property Showrooms

andy.welland@propertyshowrooms.com

Tel: +34 952 475 506 (Outside UK)

Tel: 0871 734 1851 (Within UK)

Fax: +34 952 917 461

E-Fax 0871 277 4725 (Within UK)

HOLA447

Hi Andy,

I'm just passionately against property speculation - irrespective of Morocco, Dubai, UK or anywhere else.

I just do not believe it to be a legitimate, healthy form of investment.

It just messes things up.

It does nobody any favours longterm.

Not for us, not for the locals, not for our children, no-one.

I also run my own business and employ people. I also invest in shares of real companies. Property investing for me is fun, but I do not underestimate the risks.

As to your opinions that it adds no value I know where you are comming from but on the other hand most (not all) other forms of investment dont really add value in the great scheme of things. I did just fine without a mobile phone and all the other gadgets that were supposed to give us more free time.

The opposite has actually been the outcome - life is now faster paced 'got to be now' and the amount of waste all this produces is frightening. I get untold amounts of CD updates that are then thrown away (plus all the packaging). Computers and phones are obsolete within 2 years - more waste, more mineral extraction, more money.

And who do you supposes mines the minerals for the chips and gagets? 8 year old boys in Angola working for a pittence 12 hours per day in very dangerous conditions.

Again, most indusrty and business has bad side - effects just as property does.

The junk debt - culture has largely been in response to the 'must have' culture. People must have that £3000 TV or trainers now no matter how much more debt and waste this creates, even though no of it is really needed.

I hope you will be sharing all your wealth and not paying the Moroccans the bare minimum. ;)

HOLA448

I have a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom garden apartment in Magnum Saidia, I was told by my agent (SaffronVilas) today that these are now selling for around 180K.

Does anybody have any idea of how realistic a price this is.

They also mentioned that the next price hike will be October when Ryan Air go public with their routes and Phase 1 is released.

I have also been told that with Magnum you can rent the property out yourself, you don't have to go via Fadesa and be limited to 3-4% return.

HOLA449

I have a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom garden apartment in Magnum Saidia, I was told by my agent (SaffronVilas) today that these are now selling for around 180K.

Does anybody have any idea of how realistic a price this is.

They also mentioned that the next price hike will be October when Ryan Air go public with their routes and Phase 1 is released.

I have also been told that with Magnum you can rent the property out yourself, you don't have to go via Fadesa and be limited to 3-4% return.

Hi, we have bought a two bedroomed two bathroom Magnum apartment, first floor apartment also with Saffron (who are excellent).

I was told by them and FADESA ( via email) that we can use the property however we wish, and we are not obilgated to take their 2% option. Our apartment has gone up £13,000 in two months since we signed our contracts.

HOLA4410

Hi, we have bought a two bedroomed two bathroom Magnum apartment, first floor apartment also with Saffron (who are excellent).

I was told by them and FADESA ( via email) that we can use the property however we wish, and we are not obilgated to take their 2% option. Our apartment has gone up £13,000 in two months since we signed our contracts.

£13,000 in two months. Wow. Are they actually selling at this new price or is that a "valuation"?

Edited by cocacolalight

HOLA4411

£13,000 in two months. Wow. Are they actually selling at this new price or is that a "valuation"?

The price being asked at the moment for an apartment is £13000 more than we are paying.

I dont understand percentages/gains/projections etc we are buying simply because we love the place and will be hanging onto it for a good few years.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Morocco is at war with Western Sahara.

This is a risky place to put your money !!

12 Pages of pure property ramping......a fool and his money !!!!

No offence Dogbox, but I'm amazed that you have never even visited Morocco - your posts on here suggest an intimate knowledge of the country and property market's potential.

Remember too that flagship companies are often offered incentives to set up shop by developers. They have nothing to lose if it all goes wrong. To follow blindly in their footsteps may cost you dearly.

HOLA4415

No offence Dogbox, but I'm amazed that you have never even visited Morocco - your posts on here suggest an intimate knowledge of the country and property market's potential.

Remember too that flagship companies are often offered incentives to set up shop by developers. They have nothing to lose if it all goes wrong. To follow blindly in their footsteps may cost you dearly.

None taken!

Im not blind to the risks and I pondered all such questions prior to comitting.

Beleive me I look into just about every foreign real estate opportunity and there are always risks and complications. Even my Berlin adventure was full of negatives.

I learned a long time ago that if you dwell on every aspect of an investment you end up taliking yourself out of it. For a while I 'almost' invested in various nations but each time I held back at the last minute and each time I then lost out on easy and significant profits. For example 'Great Exuma' in the Bahamas I pulled out of only to then see my target investment grow from $140000 to $800000 in less than 3 years grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I did'nt buy due to tidal surge worries and because the island was very very poor with no facilities. An absolute classic case of over analysing. This has happened several times.

The Moroccan property I secured now sells (and yes they really are selling) for £25000 more than I paid in the space of a few months.

The real question is not whether to buy but HOW MANY TO :o

HOLA4416

No offence Dogbox, but I'm amazed that you have never even visited Morocco -

This point is often raised but for me is almost irrelevant.

My freind reserved at the same time as me.

He insisted on a visit to Morocco. I advised him all he will see is a vast patch of scrub with a few cranes, however he persisted and went ahead.

Sure enough the trip didnt give him any information or illumination.

You know most people didnt B2L in the UK in the early nineties (even those that were in a position to), despite being surrounded by 'evidence' it was 'THE' investment play.

My best ever UK B2L I didnt view until after completion. It was in a town Id never been near.

I keep comming back to the point that any new investment, business idea or invention tends to have far more critics than admirers.

Almost no investment comes with a health check saying 'buy me, all the fundamentals stack up' or everyone would buy it so it would cease to be a worthwhile investment.

IRISH REALESTATE; 99% of us in the mid nineties said it would never take - off. I read many a bearish article saying the fundamentals dont stack - up and that the age old religious / national tensions meant investing was a non - starter. Also entry into the Euro was widely expected to ruin Irealnd. Another classic case of too much analyisation and too little common sense.

Morocco will produce spectaculour capital growth, guaranteed. The Spannish and UK base E/As have created an unstoppable boom (for now).

HOLA4417

This point is often raised but for me is almost irrelevant.

My freind reserved at the same time as me.

He insisted on a visit to Morocco. I advised him all he will see is a vast patch of scrub with a few cranes, however he persisted and went ahead.

Sure enough the trip didnt give him any information or illumination.

You know most people didnt B2L in the UK in the early nineties (even those that were in a position to), despite being surrounded by 'evidence' it was 'THE' investment play.

My best ever UK B2L I didnt view until after completion. It was in a town Id never been near.

I keep comming back to the point that any new investment, business idea or invention tends to have far more critics than admirers.

Almost no investment comes with a health check saying 'buy me, all the fundamentals stack up' or everyone would buy it so it would cease to be a worthwhile investment.

IRISH REALESTATE; 99% of us in the mid nineties said it would never take - off. I read many a bearish article saying the fundamentals dont stack - up and that the age old religious / national tensions meant investing was a non - starter. Also entry into the Euro was widely expected to ruin Irealnd. Another classic case of too much analyisation and too little common sense.

Morocco will produce spectaculour capital growth, guaranteed. The Spannish and UK base E/As have created an unstoppable boom (for now).

It's true what you say - you can over analyse anything and end up doing nothing. Best of luck in Morocco.

HOLA4418

Morocco will produce spectaculour capital growth, guaranteed.

This is the ramping/hyping at it's worst.

Would you really listen to anyone saying that (talk about VI) and then pay him even more respect when he hasn't even been there.

Not everything is about balance sheets and calculations from a far away armchair.

You have to KNOW about what it is you are investing in.

And you don't.

I can *guarantee* you one thing - your calculations will not have covered everything and there will simply be many things you'll see that you will have never thought of nor could ever have calculated for. In other words, when you get out there, be very prepared for many surprises.

HOLA4419

Big Log

I agree with a great deal of what you are saying - re. property speculation and its effects on the local economy (for good and ill) but the fact remains that tourism is the way forward chosen by the king and government. It's no use knocking Dogbox for not going out there, he's obviously done a lot of research and has chosen to buy there. Opening up a country to foreign 'investors' always entails a lot of people making a lot of money without adding any value to the country in the early stages - that's capitalism for you (it never was pretty!). Presumably the Moroccan elite looked at what has happened in places like Dubai and decided that was the way forward for Morocco. Tourism will create jobs, albeit not high-end jobs, but jobs nevertheless, and people like Dogbox are helping to bring in investment by spreading the word, like it or not.

I've also bought in Saidia (as only foreigners can, no Moroccans are allowed to). I visited and the site and area are stunning. I believe it will become the new Algarve in future years - with all that that entails - and look forward to many years of holidays there. When I visited, my agent said that lately most people he had shown around had been 'emotional purchasers' - those looking for a holiday home, but there will inevitably be many who see it just as an investment.

The success of Morocco's 2010 plan depends on foriegners buying the property and visiting in huge numbers, and to get people to buy the property and get the name known, prices had to be low by European standards, which means some foreigners who buy in the early stages will make a huge profit without risking a great deal. You may not approve, but that is the economics of the situation.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4420

The Sunday Times ran an article today about the over supply in Bulgaria.

my concerns with Morocco, saida & the villas are:-

1) Eventual over supply - Will morocco turn into the next costa del sol / bulgaria with massive over supply of property and no hope of renting out property for more than a handful of weeks a year delivering a very poor return?

2) What planning regulations are being used to ensure the coast line isn't ruined from the massive developments that have been planned?

3) Size of resort - With 3000 accomodation units and 11 hotels, there could be 10,000 people in this resort at any one time. This resort may end up heaving with chavs. Will anyone wanting to hire a villa on a golf course really be interested in a holiday on a resort of this size? Surely people who seek such places, want to go on holiday to get away from the crowds and want to relax? Can you imagine how busy the golf courses will be? This makes me think that the resort will be too big and this will deter people from wanting to visit. Coupled with the amount of units available and the potential small demand, this development may not be the great investment that some have been predicting.

Having said all that, I am still thinking about buying a villa! at the current price they are competitive with other villas in portugal etc. From looking around at other villas for re- sale, ie not off plan, I think the value of the villas could reach £300k, depending on whether some of the points mentioned above materialise or not.

what do others think to my concerns?

HOLA4421

The Sunday Times ran an article today about the over supply in Bulgaria.

my concerns with Morocco, saida & the villas are:-

1) Eventual over supply - Will morocco turn into the next costa del sol / bulgaria with massive over supply of property and no hope of renting out property for more than a handful of weeks a year delivering a very poor return?

2) What planning regulations are being used to ensure the coast line isn't ruined from the massive developments that have been planned?

3) Size of resort - With 3000 accomodation units and 11 hotels, there could be 10,000 people in this resort at any one time. This resort may end up heaving with chavs. Will anyone wanting to hire a villa on a golf course really be interested in a holiday on a resort of this size? Surely people who seek such places, want to go on holiday to get away from the crowds and want to relax? Can you imagine how busy the golf courses will be? This makes me think that the resort will be too big and this will deter people from wanting to visit. Coupled with the amount of units available and the potential small demand, this development may not be the great investment that some have been predicting.

Having said all that, I am still thinking about buying a villa! at the current price they are competitive with other villas in portugal etc. From looking around at other villas for re- sale, ie not off plan, I think the value of the villas could reach £300k, depending on whether some of the points mentioned above materialise or not.

what do others think to my concerns?

Morning Tom, my input regards your concerns:

1) Oversupply is a long long way off. Morocco has vast swathes of prime beachfront land. The development compared to land available is tiny. I did not invest in Bulgaria as I forsaw oversupply becomming an issue as the season on the coast is too short. Having said that I spoke with a chap on Saturday who has made a huge return on some land he purchased for £10000 3 years ago which is now worth hundreds of thousands (developers want it).

2)PLANNING - this is a reason I invested. Unlike the Costas development has been planned by the Government and is generally limited to 3 stories maximum.

3) Size of Saidia resort - the fact its a large self - contained resort with far more facilities than is usual for a single resort, will mean it acts like a magnate. The hotels marketing machinery will further underpin demand.

I hope it wont attract the chav market and I dont think it will. Chavs like 'Bacon & Egg' cafes, and heaving Chareoke (sp!!) venus.

Saidia shops and restaurants have been aquired byquality operators so Chavs probably wont want to come.

Dont forget 60% of the land will be green and wooded. The fact its so large will mean users of the villas and appartments will find the seclusion and privacy they want and the beach is huge and will never be crowded.

3 championship courses plus a 7km beach is a pretty hefty propostion.

The long season, exotic culture, snow capped mountain ranges (in which luxury ski resorts are being built), deserts and endless beaches will make Morocco a real 'place to be seen' within 3 - 5 years.

For me personally Saidia is probably not really my scene. We like very quiet out of the way villas on remote islands, but we find we are in a minority! Not only that but such remote luxury places are too expensive so Saidia will be a good and cheaper alternative close to home.

HOLA4422

But what if we count all the developments in Europe on the sea, we are talking massive over supply. Your rent in Morroco will have to compete with other rental places across Europe. I have seen this happen with an appartment my parents owned in Switzerland, to start with we had 26 weeks rent out of an all year round destination 10 years later it was only 6 weeks. The appartment was sold 15 years later with a loss.

I believe we are looking at a ********** and an even bigger crash in overseas holiday homes. I do not think Morroco will be spared. 3 countries arround the world have not gone mad in House price mania. Hong Kong, Germany & Japan, these will be spared. Good 8% yielders are available in Japan with 2% mortgages

However now people start to understand that bulgaria is over (this happened in a time frame of 3 years, spain took 25 years) all the agents move to market Morroco is the latest destination to make money. You can see the cycles are getting shorter, based upon the shortening of the cycles I expect Morroco to peak in 1-2 years. I'll bet it is a good destination now to buy and sell offplan.

HOLA4423

But what if we count all the developments in Europe on the sea, we are talking massive over supply. Your rent in Morroco will have to compete with other rental places across Europe. I have seen this happen with an appartment my parents owned in Switzerland, to start with we had 26 weeks rent out of an all year round destination 10 years later it was only 6 weeks. The appartment was sold 15 years later with a loss.

I believe we are looking at a ********** and an even bigger crash in overseas holiday homes. I do not think Morroco will be spared. 3 countries arround the world have not gone mad in House price mania. Hong Kong, Germany & Japan, these will be spared. Good 8% yielders are available in Japan with 2% mortgages

However now people start to understand that bulgaria is over (this happened in a time frame of 3 years, spain took 25 years) all the agents move to market Morroco is the latest destination to make money. You can see the cycles are getting shorter, based upon the shortening of the cycles I expect Morroco to peak in 1-2 years. I'll bet it is a good destination now to buy and sell offplan.

I don't altogether agree that "Bulgaria is over". The Sunday Times article had a few home truths (weak rental demand and risk of oversupply), but it was very biased - it did not mention the positive impact EU membership is and will have, as well as when budget airlines start flying there (which is inevitable) - then independent travellers are more likely to visit which will help demand.

And even if rental demand remains weak (France and Spain holiday homes are classic examples of how widespread this is), I think there is less of a risk of a crash in Bulgaria because prices are still low. I am quite happy to keep the beach apartment I have in Bulgaria as a holiday home for my own personal use. But if I owned the same apartment in Spain (and costing 3 or 4 times more), then I would have to try and get rentals as I'd probably have to get a mortgage to pay for it. In Morocco, prices are higher than Bulgaria, even though its people are poorer. It also does not have the certainty of inward investment like Bulgaria has. So for me the risks of buying in Morocco are far greater.

HOLA4424

A short term capital gain might be the best way to frame such investing.

In terms of rent you need to understand Saidia is not 'just another development', its something quite different so rentals are likely to reflect this.

I agree about the shortening timescales, Ive been aware of this for about 4 years. The US market is an example of short mega bursts. I beleive Germany and Morocco are next.

Despite some risk I do know people personally that have made a lot of money out of new markets, Bulgaria included.

I know a guy who buys and sells off - plan in Turkey and has made very substantial profits doing this the last 3 years with no end in sight just yet.

HOLA4425

Just back from Morocco & thought I'd share some obervations I haven't seen mentioned in here on Saidia, Port Lixus and Paradise Beach & Golf Resort.

Port Lixus: This development is going to be impressive when it's complete, though that is some time off. They are focussing on Phase 1 (of 5.) This phase is scheduled to be complete by end of 2007 and will probably be the pick of the phases owing to its elevation (50 or 60 yards above sea level), slope (sea views) & proximity to beach. Villa price list should be released later this month. The person I met on site mentioned ranges that villa prices will fall in. (Furniture packs and some other minor details were being sorted before price released.) There will be 5 or 6 styels of villa and all will be modern looking. Show homes are being constructed, one for each style, and are at various stages of build. The cheaper 3 bedroom villas are beyond my budget and are likely to be between 400k Euros and 450k. The week before I arrived at the site an investor had booked up 7 or 8 of the very best plots for houses - so if you have been waiting for villa price lists to be released it may be worth getting in touch with them and reserving one of the better plots. When I was there there will still a few plots that were front line beach (or should I say front line cliff) as well as being front line golf. (Sea to the front, golf to the back.) Larache, which it neighbours, has a real buz to it and I'm sure it'll be cleaned up for the tourism that will follow. Asilah is nearby too - as others have said, it'll make a good day trip.

Paradise Beach & Golf Resort: Didn't really spend much time considering this one, though location and views will be good. They have a builder in place now (CDG) and you can purchase bank guarantee from Banco Populaire. Some points that would cause concern:- Most of the apartments are billed as having sea views. I doubt this will be the case. As simple experiment I stood well back from a hut where land around was gently sloping - typical of gradient on the site. I positioned myself so that I could see the sea when standing up (as if standing on patio outside apartment.) I then counted 24 strides to reach the back of the hut. Assuming the apartment blocks will be twice the height of the hut then you need at least 50 yards between apartment blocks to have any kind of sea view from ground floor. So probably best to go for penthouses. Additionally, the same builders are building behind the site. I'm told it will be villas for wealthy locals. I didn't look into this as decided not to progress with apartment or villa in this development.

That brings me to my favoured option, Saidia: I'm likely to follow through with purchase of villa in LJDF that I had reserved. There are however, some negatives with Saidia that I had not been aware of before visiting. Firstly, countryside around Saidia is rather bland and tourists hiring car for a week or two at a time might be alittle disappointed with what they see. I didn't travel the new coast road (my old map didn't show it) so its possible there are nice drives near Saidia, all I can confirm is that I took one route into Saidia and another out and on both routes had to be couple of hours drive away for scenery to be very interesting. Med Saidia is going to be impressive, but there is one or two pockets in the site that aren't. They are between AP-7 & RT-6 if you have the site plan. One pocket is existing housing stock. While not of qualiy that is to be built, these homes are not an eye soar. They will be/are ringed by high wall so even if grounds aren't as well kept as rest of site this shouldn't be a big problem. The second plot borders these houses and I'm told it is farmland that as yet Fadesa has been unable to acquire. There's nothing on this land at the moment, though it is being touted as possible location for King's Palace. (If land can't be acquired his palace will be 8km away at Cap d'Leau.) I believe that there will be an interesting announcement made soon about the two non championship courses, though I don't know what it will be so I can't share any more with you - I'm sure Andy will let us know when he hears more. Finally, Property Logic now have around 11 plots in Med Saidia. I was relieved to hear that none will have villa designs from LJDF - which should maintain the exclusivity that I hope LJDF villas will have.

The most pleasing thing about my 10 day trip to Morocco was the friendliness of people on the street. My view is that locals are embracing tourism and will make good hosts.

Edited by The Soup Dragon