House Price Crash Forum

Englands Most Depressing Towns

dogbox

HOLA441
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Most of the South East of England - just one big commuter community usually with dull shopping centres and full of people who get up early to get a train into London, then who get home late from London.

No character, no sense of identity, just one big blandness.

And that from a Swansea Jack!

HOLA443
HOLA444

I'd like to nominate Weymouth.

A few years ago I and a couple of friends spent a night in B&B there. We turned up early afternoon and were a bit concerned by the number of middle-aged men with facial scars staggering around the town centre shouting.

Later we were in a pub and got talking to a trio of local lasses.

"So what do you do?" they asked.

"I'm a software developer"...

..."I do graphics design"...

..."I'm an accountant"

...we replied. All of it true. Nothing particularly high-flying.

The ladies got up, called us bvllsh1tters, and stomped out.

HOLA445
England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland - AVOID:

Banbury

Cardiff

Battersea

Preston (nice people though)

Most of Bristol

WestonSM

Penarth

Chepstow (despite castle)

Cinderford

Derby

Brighton (esp Lewes Road and Westdene)

Lincoln (deeeply depressing)

Commuterville, S E England

Sheerness

Most places in between Edinburgh and Glasgow

Bangor, Co. Down

Larne, Co. Antrim

Mullingar

Dingle

Waterford

Portrush

Antrim town

Newry

Killarney

Most of South Wales

Actually, I could be here all day

I'd forgotten about Weston-Super-Mare, one of those ironically named places. It must be even less super since the pier burnt down.

I'd add Christchurch in Dorset. Some nice houses but, the town centre's a dump.

Also has anyone mentioned that warehouse logistics hub, with some houses scattered in between, Daventry.

HOLA446
I Know you've already mentioned Luton, but it's such an unremitting disgusting sh!tehole, it should be on there at least twice.

LUTON.

Definitely

I went to University there, the town is an absolute hole. Well it was in the late 90s when I was there. Loads of racial tension, grey, depressing and bloody cold.

HOLA447
England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland - AVOID:

Brighton (esp Lewes Road and Westdene)

I think you confused Westdene with Whitehawk. Westdene is an affluent area. Mainly detacted property.

Moulsecoomb, Whitehawk, Bevendean, Hollingdean and Coldean are best avoided.

HOLA448
Anybody ever been to Birkenhead?

Birkenhead has been on the National news 3 times in the last 15 years:-

1. There were more scavengers on the tips than any other town in Britain. (Article accommpanied by news footage showing people dragging stuff of the tip)

2. The docks area had a big problem with prostiitutes going 'door to door' looking for buisiness due to lack of customers when the docks closed.

3. There were more drug addicts in Birkenhead than any other town in Britain. (One of the estates got nick named 'smack city')

I lived there for 9 years and I am so glad to get out.

Just to keep on topic, it is still possible to buy a terraced house in Birkenhead for 65K, these houses where going for anything between 10 and 25K, 4 years ago.

http://house.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-5...uy&chnl=buy

I agree. Birkenhead is a sh!thole and the Ford estate is still rough but nowhere near as bad as it was in the 80s. But I'm from the Wirral and I wouldn't live anywhere else in the UK now. Even though northern sh!tholes are worse from the violence/smack-head point of view. Southern sh!tholes are a hell of a lot worse from the colourless/depressing point of view. As Casual Observer pointed out Hayes has to be one of the most depressing, coffee smelling, grey and white towns I've ever laid my eyes on. It really is bad. And loads of southern no-name towns are like that. In the north you feel tense. In the south you feel empty.

HOLA449

I'm going to stick up for Leicester and Liverpool.

I went to University in Leicester and thought it was great, yes it isn't particularly pretty but there is plenty to do and I always found it a friendly place.

Liverpool is an excellent city, a vibrant place with masses to do, fantastic architecture and it has Everton FC in it, what could be better?

HOLA4410
Guest มร หล&#3
I went for an interview for a contract in Basildon about 9 months ago. First time I'd ever visited the place. I couldn't wait to get out of the interview and out of the place - and I was panicking all the way through that my car would be nicked before I got back to it.

So, Basildon it is. Although I am still inclined to have Luton up there as well.

I think the starter of this thread should gather the top ten together in a pole and let us all vote. As they said in Highlander: There can be only one! :D

Nomadd

It's got a fantastic (although a bit artificial) Italian restaurant. Forget the name. It's really big and in that entertainment park.

HOLA4411
Guest มร หล&#3
I'd forgotten about Weston-Super-Mare, one of those ironically named places. It must be even less super since the pier burnt down.

Also has anyone mentioned that warehouse logistics hub, with some houses scattered in between, Daventry.

So had I. Until then. Thanks so much for that.

HOLA4412
I'm going to stick up for Leicester and Liverpool.

I went to University in Leicester and thought it was great, yes it isn't particularly pretty but there is plenty to do and I always found it a friendly place.

Liverpool is an excellent city, a vibrant place with masses to do, fantastic architecture and it has Everton FC in it, what could be better?

Leicester is quite nice round the university and the retail part where Fenwicks is, this retail part seems to be slowly dying and being replaced with more Wetherspoons type bars. Leicester also has quite good museums, a rare upside to a left-wing council. Downsides, amongst many, being 'nuclear-free-zone' declarations and Nelson Mandela Park.

HOLA4413

I had a burger there about 6 weeks ago on a blistering sunny day, i thought it would be a nice place to live.

Maybe you need to visit many of the towns listed to get a bit of perspective of what truly is a sh7thole.

HOLA4414
Guest anorthosite

I'll go for:

Southampton

Crawley

Scunthorpe

Biggleswade

Hatfield

Portsmouth

Haywards Heath

London

Weymouth

Berwick

HOLA4415
Guest มร หล&#3
Guys, what are Derby and Bristol like? I was considering a job with Rolls Royce and they operate in these two places.

Bristol is a fantastic city.

Great nightlife, got loads going on, not bad at all. (Seriously, it's alright).

HOLA4416
Guest มร หล&#3
Yes i hate that place i was brought up in Newcastle and was taught to hate cockneys, unfortunately these indigenous folk have all pretty much been replaced in the last 20 years.

But ive also just lived in Newcastle after leaving there 20 years ago and what a depressing place it is, with all manner of angry fcukers telling you how people from Newcastle are these fun warm and friendly people, yet they despise anyone born on the wrong side of a river.

But the winner has to be Slough.

PS Today I was offered a 3 year contract in Rayong, Thailands oil sector, this view will be what i am waking up to.

wpRayong04.jpg

Are you off to PTT?

Rayong is by far my favourite town on the Eastern Seaboard. Lovely place. Gets a bit scruffy sometimes, but you'll love it there.

HOLA4417
I take it you are not keen on South Hampshire then? I live (when in the country) in SouthSea, and find it pretty good.

So do I but that is the nicest part of Pompey. Also some lovely villages just over the hill.

HOLA4418
I had a burger there about 6 weeks ago on a blistering sunny day, i thought it would be a nice place to live.

Maybe you need to visit many of the towns listed to get a bit of perspective of what truly is a sh7thole.

If it's got a population of more than 30k then it's likely I've either got a shop there, had a shop there or I'm thinking about opening a shop there.

HOLA4419
Quicker to list those that arent depressing.

Bath. Every single other town seems to have been ruined by various degrees of architectural vandalism 1950-present.

Edinburgh, probably nicest large town/city, although i havent been since they built that awful parliament thing.

Also have a soft spot for Derby, three indoor markets, a lot less pretentious a place than neighbouring nottingham, although few seem to agree with that.

On the other hand, when darkness falls, most town (centres) are quite enjoyable for at least a day a week. When the leaden skies and grey concrete are less visible.

Nottingham is far superior to Derby. Better shops, city centre and football team!

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Christchurch is not a dump, it is quite a very place. The warehouse logistics hub is called Crick, I believe it is one large Eddie Stobart depot.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
I'd like to nominate Weymouth.

A few years ago I and a couple of friends spent a night in B&B there. We turned up early afternoon and were a bit concerned by the number of middle-aged men with facial scars staggering around the town centre shouting.

Later we were in a pub and got talking to a trio of local lasses.

"So what do you do?" they asked.

"I'm a software developer"...

..."I do graphics design"...

..."I'm an accountant"

...we replied. All of it true. Nothing particularly high-flying.

The ladies got up, called us bvllsh1tters, and stomped out.

A computer programmer, a Paint Shop Pro operator and a bean counter. And the ladies didn't stick around for a bit of a chat? Whodathunkit?

Weymouth used to be quite nice about 30 years ago. A lot of the B&Bs away from the Esplanade have been filled with down and outs and druggies courtesy of the Local Authority.

HOLA4424
Guest มร หล&#3
Did you know Weston has 10 % of Britains drug rehab beds ?

Sixty four in the one town of 120,000 people.

Nightmare place.

HOLA4425

Archived