House Price Crash Forum

Forum Upgrade Issues

Techy

HOLA441
Guest Steve Cook

Hello

We have investigated the missing posts issue. As user Durch has noticed. The posts are still there, but not all of them show up when 'Find posts' feature is used.

The problem is that it seems that in version 3 of IPB forum the find feature has been restricted to only show 200 posts for a given user. We have had a look in the control panel although we have not found a way to increase the number of posts returned. We will try to investigate it further to see if there is a way to change the restriction.

For now, please use the main Search function to retrieve your old posts:

http://www.housepric...e&module=search

You can get as many as 1000 posts in one search.

Regards,

Dawid

I just ried to do a search on my old posts by selecting my self as the user and selecting between jan 09 and the present.

nothing..

Nada...

F*ck all...

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Interesting that HPC.co.uk have introduced during this ‘upgrade’ a new policy of adding a ‘nofollow’ to all outbound forum links (previously this applied only to signature links). :(

The effect is that any citation benefit within search engines for the linked-to site (PageRank and keyword anchor text) is killed stone dead, and it seems odd, or at least a bit mean spirited, to introduce this now because it goes against the whole ethos of social networking where people link to sites because they think are worthwhile and ‘add value’ to the discussion as well as providing additional referenced content.

Experience with the previous practice has been fine, so why the new change?

HOLA443

Interesting that HPC.co.uk have introduced during this ‘upgrade’ a new policy of adding a ‘nofollow’ to all outbound forum links (previously this applied only to signature links). :(

The effect is that any citation benefit within search engines for the linked-to site (PageRank and keyword anchor text) is killed stone dead, and it seems odd, or at least a bit mean spirited, to introduce this now because it goes against the whole ethos of social networking where people link to sites because they think are worthwhile and ‘add value’ to the discussion as well as providing additional referenced content.

Experience with the previous practice has been fine, so why the new change?

They have also introduced a new policy of 'no loading' and of 'no signing in' as well.

The effect is that the pages take about 8 seconds to load and you can't reply to any of the postings. <_<

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Probably already mentioned, but over the last couple of days it has increasingly been the case that you hit Add Reply and nothing gets posted in the thread, hit back and hit Add reply again, nothing, hit back a third time and Add reply and it works.

Odd.

HOLA449
Guest Steve Cook

Probably already mentioned, but over the last couple of days it has increasingly been the case that you hit Add Reply and nothing gets posted in the thread, hit back and hit Add reply again, nothing, hit back a third time and Add reply and it works.

Odd.

I think the appropriate word is "crap"

HOLA4410

This will probably get me excoriated as an ultra-bull, but here goes.:

There's at least one thing about the new forum which is, I find, a HUGE improvement: the search engine works. I'd just given up all hope of ever being able to use the search engine to find anything at all - it gave me no results on all sorts of searches, and the techy types couldn't help. Now I put in exactly the same search terms, and it Just Works! I'm not saying anything about the 200 limit, because I am usually searching for a very low number of hits, but I'm really chuffed that it now works as it should for me.

db

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Come on, do we not have an update? This new skin is still ultra naff.

+1

It makes reading painful as I think so many have mentioned. This is getting on a bit, do the owners care? Most of the original bugs seem to still be there.

HOLA4415

At the risk of "throwing a Daddy Bear" I think I'll give the forum a rest for the moment too. Not that I'm the most prolific / interesting poster and I'm sure I'll be back at some point (hooray.)

If Fubra are remotely interested in a bit of user / customer feedback:

- Sort out the skin. I'm not an IT guy but this has gone on forever.

- Change the main forum topic back to being about house prices not about the economy in general. This forum is now used as a general bitch and moan vehicle for people with chips on their shoulders about anything. The recent consecutive series threads whingeing about the unemployed, those employed in the public sectors AND those working in the private sector was priceless but valueless.

- Moderate the main board properly. So much off topic guff and you move some interesting stuff into the off topic bit. At least the BNP gang have gone but any pure political thread should be moved ASAP.

- Merge the "prices in your location" threads. This has gone from being one of the most active areas to a ghost town.

All in all, the traffic is now so patchy and the signal to noise so low that there is little value to be had. There used to be a true exchange of info and ideas but too much personal hobby horse riding has killed that off..

Anyway, that's my view FWIW so all the best.

Copulator.

AB

HOLA4416

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I don't have time to read all the thread.

I have a PC and a laptop.

On the PC I can view the site and log in to post a comment.

On the laptop I can view the site but cannot log in.

On the log in screen after entering my username and password and clicking the button it says I have not entered a username.

I have tried clearing cookies but that has not helped.

If other people have had the same problem but don't have access to more than one PC they cannot report the problem!

HOLA4417

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I don't have time to read all the thread.

On the log in screen after entering my username and password and clicking the button it says I have not entered a username.

If other people have had the same problem but don't have access to more than one PC they cannot report the problem!

...try rebooting your broadband..this sometimes works for me.... :)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Since this Forum's "upgrade", I can't see my own posts under Outline View, but I can see them under Standard View.

And I think other users also can't see my posts - if they are using Outline View.

Anybody else has the same problem?

BTW, took me days to find the new way to change View option.

Edited by Tired of waiting

HOLA4420

Same problem here. I work on three PCs. On one I am still logged in and can post. On the other two I have not been able to log in since update. May explain why some posters have left.

Other problem I have is the very slow word processing when you try and write a post. Can take minutes to edit a line of text..

HOLA4421

Same problem here. I work on three PCs. On one I am still logged in and can post. On the other two I have not been able to log in since update. May explain why some posters have left.

Other problem I have is the very slow word processing when you try and write a post. Can take minutes to edit a line of text..

If you want to log in at work..... ;) Go to the bottom of the page and select the Lo-Fi option, when it has reloaded try logging in again. It will take you to a different log in screen that seems to work.

Well it works for me, not that I log in, or even view this forum at work. :unsure:

HOLA4422

If you want to log in at work..... ;) Go to the bottom of the page and select the Lo-Fi option, when it has reloaded try logging in again. It will take you to a different log in screen that seems to work.

Well it works for me, not that I log in, or even view this forum at work. :unsure:

You are a genius! Thanks, that works a treat. .

PS - if you look at my posts the last 2 weeks you will see I have only been able to log in at work.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Thanks for that - it worked!

I have seen some annoying site updates in the past but this one is right up there; I am sure many users have given up having not even been able to sign in.

HOLA4425

...site appears to be heavier on advertising graphics which could slowdown some 'machines' ...also when switching into the forum it seems to be reading through some advertising websites if you check the lead in on the bottom left hand corner of the screen ....which makes it heavier on memory.....maybe the admin could clarify...?

Edited by South Lorne