HOLA441
  • Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...sSinceAdded%3D1

An absolute joke. A 1 bed in the middle of nowhere, not even near the station!

Why do they waste their time??!

Woah! The two bed flat I rent 20min from town, 20min from Temple Meads is only worth a few grand more than that and I've got a running track on the roof and fantastic views of the suspension bridge from the sofa on which I'm sat.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA444
Until this week I was not that convnced that there had been signs of any substantial movement in or near S.Brist asking prices at the ftb end.

Now however I have noticed some welcome signs of significant reductions in the area at least at the lower end of the market.

I believe it was in 2000 that i saw a 2 bed flat selling in ST. Annes for 76000. I believe these went up to 125000. Now I know of one of these 2 bedders on for 94000 asking, presumably it will go for 80something if it goes at all. Therefore it is not inconcievable that the lower end of the market will eventually unwind down to 2000 prices or below given that it is still early days.

Also in that area I have noticed a 2 bed semi on for 104000.

Hartcliffe and Knowle west :ph34r: asking prices have only been modestly trimed if at all, still no sign of a "crash" really in that area as far as I can see.

Southville and Bedminster maybe 10 % down from the insane peak as far as i can see. Those areas could remain relatively resiliant. Tell me im wrong and make me very happy.

You have to expect that as builders loose their jobs there is going to be a lot of casualties in some parts of south Bristol.

I was offered a house in Knowle West for £50000. I had to turn it down. I'd want a lot more money than that to take a house in Knowle West.

HOLA445
I was offered a house in Knowle West for £50000. I had to turn it down. I'd want a lot more money than that to take a house in Knowle West.

:lol:

How far is it for someone to walk from Eastville Park into the city centre down Fishponds Road?

Nobody knows,noone's ever made it :P

HOLA446
Southville is not that nice in my opinion. Still loads of chavs around and a lack of decent services for non-chavs.

Also the Tesco's express has a security guard all the time and there is a Lidl! Two reasons to suggest Southville is well overpriced. I'd only buy in the North.

:rolleyes: Ooh how posh are you ? I thought Southville was nice because it wasnt completely over run by arrogant Hooray Henry types.

Of course its over priced. Is any part of Bristol not overpriced ?

Edited by bricor mortis

• 2 months later...
HOLA447
HOLA448
Does anyone have a view on what this flat is actually worth? 3 bed city centre flat. Asking price £200k (ignore the £99k advertised price as that's part buy, part rent).

http://www.findanewhome.com/south-west-eng...2d5d03b511d.fap

Great if you want to live next door to lots of social scroungers who will no doubt move in once the developer sells in desperation to the local authority!

Avoid new builds, refurbs like this...head to traditional middle class areas and avoid having your life ruined by the underclass.

HOLA449

A work colleague bought a house in Bedminster for 140k 3 years ago. The neighbouring property has just sold for 210k. Full asking price. A few months ago it would've been no more than 180k on the market, and it would've sold for less. Sold in 3 days. Very little coming onto the market, shortage of supply, some people moving from more expensive areas. I was shocked!

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Does anyone have a view on what this flat is actually worth? 3 bed city centre flat. Asking price £200k (ignore the £99k advertised price as that's part buy, part rent).

http://www.findanewhome.com/south-west-eng...2d5d03b511d.fap

Handy for the massage parlours on Old Market I guess.

If you've got £200k to spend wouldn't it be better to buy a nice house somewhere?

I guess my city centre flat standards it's reasonable, but with prices going to fall further it's this type of flat that will suffer.

HOLA4412
A work colleague bought a house in Bedminster for 140k 3 years ago. The neighbouring property has just sold for 210k. Full asking price. A few months ago it would've been no more than 180k on the market, and it would've sold for less. Sold in 3 days. Very little coming onto the market, shortage of supply, some people moving from more expensive areas. I was shocked!

I just don't think those type of prices are sustainable in places like Bedminster, and Bristol as a whole. For a start there are a lot of bank workers in Bristol losing their jobs, and lots of public sector workers to come. Bristol prices were only behind London really, yet the average wage is lower than the national average.

Will Bristol buck the trend? I just don't see it really, where is the money going to come from. Perhaps Bristol will come out of denial later and suffer worse.

2 bed terraces in Bedminster should be around £100k.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4413

I am looking to buy a property within 4 miles from the city centre of Bristol, but i don't quite know about this city. Can anyone kindly recommend some nice places with affordable price(under £170,000) and better having good schooling? Thanks for infomation.

HOLA4414
I am looking to buy a property within 4 miles from the city centre of Bristol, but i don't quite know about this city. Can anyone kindly recommend some nice places with affordable price(under £170,000) and better having good schooling? Thanks for infomation.

Use rightmove (BS1 and four miles around) and see what shows up. That way you can ask a more concrete question as you give no information on what you would be looking for at all.

Note that the availability of good schools depends really on the age-range of your children. There are decent primaries throughout the city, but finding a good secondary is pretty challenging for anything close to the city-centre. The neighbourhoods around the good secondaries are seriously overpriced to put it mildly. I doubt that 170k buys you anything within their real catchment areas.

*) Note that the market has seriously picked up within Bristol. A lot of houses that have been on the market for ages sold and houses in my neighbourhood appear to sell relatively quickly at the moment. (No clue where people find the money as they are far from cheap)

Edited by moesasji

HOLA4415
Use rightmove (BS1 and four miles around) and see what shows up. That way you can ask a more concrete question as you give no information on what you would be looking for at all.

Note that the availability of good schools depends really on the age-range of your children. There are decent primaries throughout the city, but finding a good secondary is pretty challenging for anything close to the city-centre. The neighbourhoods around the good secondaries are seriously overpriced to put it mildly. I doubt that 170k buys you anything within their real catchment areas.

*) Note that the market has seriously picked up within Bristol. A lot of houses that have been on the market for ages sold and houses in my neighbourhood appear to sell relatively quickly at the moment. (No clue where people find the money as they are far from cheap)

Yes it's mad isn't it? Finding good schooling is one of the problems in Bristol compared to other cities. You would be looking at at least double your budget to buy a house in any of the "good catchment areas".

HOLA4416

Ditto. I am also advised that primary schools are OK, but where we live have been advised to move before our kids need secondary. Think a lot of people either move out into smaller towns nearby eg Thornbury, Portishead etc or pay for their kids to go to public school. Secondary schools are rough. Self perpetuating problem I suppose.

The area we live in is OK, sort of Filton/Horfield area. Ex-local authority property 3-bed house can be had for £120 k - £150 k. It looks a little rough, but our neighbours are on the whole great (put our bins away for us, feed the pets when we're away etc) salt of the earth types. Kids are a bit cheeky, but still muck about on their bikes in the street which I think is lovely. Might just be our road though. It's growing on me although I am naturally a bit of a snob ;) and lived in Clifton previously.

HOLA4417
Ditto. I am also advised that primary schools are OK, but where we live have been advised to move before our kids need secondary. Think a lot of people either move out into smaller towns nearby eg Thornbury, Portishead etc or pay for their kids to go to public school.

My colleagues with children approaching secondary school indeed move away or pay for public schools (last applies only to older senior staff-members btw). The most extreme I've heard is moving to Devon (for quality of life/schools) commuting ever day by train and this is the case for more than one colleague.

I personally would be very curious about which small towns around Bristol have a good quality of life + decent schools as that choice will clearly pop up here as well as I don't see the "crash" moving fast enough for our family! I definitely wouldn't be in a position to pay for private being just a single earner.

HOLA4418
I personally would be very curious about which small towns around Bristol have a good quality of life + decent schools as that choice will clearly pop up here as well as I don't see the "crash" moving fast enough for our family! I definitely wouldn't be in a position to pay for private being just a single earner.

The towns I have mentioned have good reputations for schools (Thornbury and Portishead). However, communting into Bristol city centre by car is not fun as the traffic is dire - but I guess you already know that! I would suggest using the train if you can to get in. Also in the area is Clevedon, but a little further away.

Yate is on the train line to Bristol & Chipping Sodbury is near it which seemed nice on a walk through the high street.

Keynsham is also on the train line, but my impression isn't that favourable.

You could also consider Nailsea which although it's a fairly new town on the whole (think 60's & 70's houses) & not that pretty, it has good transport links (M5 and a near railway station) and schools (although I don't know of thier reputation). Access to Mendips is a bonus

I guess Chepstow over the bridge isn't that far away either. Housing is cheaper, but the commute more expensive as the bridge is over £5 per day alone.

Those are where I would start my search anyway. Hope it's helpful.

Edited by pac-man

HOLA4419

Thanks for your reply Pac-Man....yep indeed the traffic is the main killer for any plans to commute. However living >15miles away should at least guarantee a parking space close to the place of work.

Some of the secondaries in both Portishead and Thornbury sound familiar to me ..... looking at the "performance-tables" on UpMyStreet it is plain shocking to see how large the gap is in the "performance-tables" of these schools with the ones in Bristol itself. The secondary closest to us (Monks Park) has an average absence >>10% not good at all <_<

edit) Surprisingly enough the house-prices in Portishead/Thornbury don't seem to differ that much from Bristol. :angry:

Edited by moesasji

HOLA4420
Thanks for your reply Pac-Man....yep indeed the traffic is the main killer for any plans to commute. However living >15miles away should at least guarantee a parking space close to the place of work.

Some of the secondaries in both Portishead and Thornbury sound familiar to me ..... looking at the "performance-tables" on UpMyStreet it is plain shocking to see how large the gap is in the "performance-tables" of these schools with the ones in Bristol itself. The secondary closest to us (Monks Park) has an average absence >>10% not good at all <_<

edit) Surprisingly enough the house-prices in Portishead/Thornbury don't seem to differ that much from Bristol. :angry:

Castle School is excellent but don't forget that some of the private schools have had to go 'academy'!!! Colston Girls and Cathedral School are non fee paying now - wonder what that will do to house prices in Bristol??? I used to work at Monks Park and will say no more........

HOLA4421
You could also consider Nailsea which although it's a fairly new town on the whole (think 60's & 70's houses) & not that pretty, it has good transport links (M5 and a near railway station) and schools (although I don't know of thier reputation). Access to Mendips is a bonus

I went to Nailsea school. It's very middle class and pretty good. Nailsea is next to Backwell, which has a better school. The train station is Nailsea and Backwell, seperating the two towns. It's 10 minutes into Temple Meads, although you need to be able to walk to the station as the car park there is always full. There is also a dual carriageway that links Bristol and Backwell, although it gets busy at peak times. The Park and Ride is at the end of the dual carriageway.

Nailsea and Backwell are ok if you want to settle down and raise kids. It's a bit boring for me, rather live in the city, but fine for families with young kids. Nailsea is just one mass of housing though.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4422

I've been following the housing market using rightmove and property bee in central bristol BS1-BS8. While sales and prices seem to have really picked up. It seems that there are several SSTC hanging around for many months after 1st appearing - I heard this means that there has been difficulty raising finance on the buyers side. This might due to delays

from the banks which are releasing mortgages very slowly in order to control/reduce their lending. Does anyone have views on this ?

HOLA4423

Hi all,

Was a member of HPC way back in 2006 but this is my first visit for a while

I'm keeping an eye on the Clifton (although could never live in Clifton village - way too up itself) / Redland / Kingsdown through to Montpelier band of Bristol.

After a surge of properties during 2008, we've had stand off and then for the past four months hardly any new supply and things have been selling quickly for high prices - although for how high we'll have to wait for the LR figures. In Montpellier things have been hanging around for substantially longer.

But it feels like that phase is starting to end. A few auction properties are starting to crop up, and things aren't flying as fast as they were - but there remains a real lack of supply. At the same time there are a lot of people wanting to sell but holding off, postponing moving or renting out etc... Hopefully the positive patter on house prices will encourage sellers to chance their arm over the next few months.

My hunch is that London money (hence Clifton faring far better than Montpelier) / cash buyer and at a slightly lower level public sector money is what is keeping demand up - but this should start to dry up.

My game plan is to keep an eye out this winter but to aim for serious action once supply picks up in the winter of 2010 through 2011. The public spending cuts from 2010 on will be when Bristol starts to get real.

Bristol's a great city, has a good housing stock (pity about the tiny gardens) and probably a good long term bet (given the demographic exodus from London) but its current economic base just doesn't support current prices.

Glad to see there's a thread devoted to the place, let's keep it up

Cheers

JJ

HOLA4424

The Bristol market seems to be bucking the national trend. It's so detached from reality. But, as they say, the harder they come...

I really think the Bristol market is due a massive crash, it's the only logical conclusion. When you have to pay £100,000 for a small flat in some of the roughest parts of the city there is something seriously wrong. And like you say, there is a lot of housing in Bristol.

HOLA4425
While sales and prices seem to have really picked up. It seems that there are several SSTC hanging around for many months after 1st appearing - I heard this means that there has been difficulty raising finance on the buyers side. This might due to delays

from the banks which are releasing mortgages very slowly in order to control/reduce their lending. Does anyone have views on this ?

I think estate agents are also playing the game of keeping the succesfully sold property on rightmove and in the windows for as long as possible - partly to tempt people into the market, partly because they don't have enough new stock to fill the gaps (or maybe it's just laziness).

I've put some calls in to agents on SSTC properties saying - 'if there are any problems get in touch', but nothing back as yet

Financing is taking longer, but depends what type of loan you are looking for. If it's 80-90% LTV then a lot more rationing is going on where lenders are cherry picking the best borrowers - which is going to effect the classic FTB properties more. Less so the big family houses where buyers have a hefty deposit.