House Price Crash Forum

The Great Norwich City Council Housing Sale

MattW

HOLA441

No - its not a Mrs. Thatch 1980s style sell-off to housing tenants. Norwich City Council appears to be selling off its most run down rental properties to the public as they are too costly to bring up to 21st Century standards, like the one below.

Former City Council house sold @ Auction last week

Had a look in last week's property supplement and one house that has been empty for 3 years, around the corner from my parents is shortly coming up for auction in the next few weeks.

I know that the last Labour Governmnet has allowed Local Authorities to build their own houses to rent out but has the Coalition Government now reversed this?

HOLA442

No - its not a Mrs. Thatch 1980s style sell-off to housing tenants. Norwich City Council appears to be selling off its most run down rental properties to the public as they are too costly to bring up to 21st Century standards, like the one below.

Former City Council house sold @ Auction last week

Had a look in last week's property supplement and one house that has been empty for 3 years, around the corner from my parents is shortly coming up for auction in the next few weeks.

I know that the last Labour Governmnet has allowed Local Authorities to build their own houses to rent out but has the Coalition Government now reversed this?

Now that is interesting! I'm wondering if two more have popped up on Righmove today. One's on Bull close Road and another on Magpie. Or would the council have to sell at auction? I wonder if there's any way of finding out which properties the council are looking to offload as we're FTB's looking to buy in Norwich. Maybe I should give the council a quick call to see if they have a nice 3 bed terrace in the golden triangle that needs a bit of work that they'd be willing to part with for, say, 120k, that would suit us down to the ground! If only....!

HOLA443
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA444

Not as far as I know. They want local government to have more flexibility with housing, not less. Although some of the stuff on bin collections, etc, has not exactly enhanced localism.

Three years without a tenant! Bloody shameful, and typical of Norwich council.

• 7 months later...
HOLA445
  • 5 months later...
HOLA446