House Price Crash Forum

Apathy Rules At Hpc

HOLA441

Hi guys, its a miserable (weather) sunday, but still the news items have only got 21 replies/comments between them ! is no one interested or would they rather debate geo politics ! The house price crash is starting but no ones commenting,I 've been looking in Bristol for a dogs age and they are definitely on the slide, what are other peoples experience where you live ?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Hi guys, its a miserable (weather) sunday, but still the news items have only got 21 replies/comments between them ! is no one interested or would they rather debate geo politics ! The house price crash is starting but no ones commenting,I 've been looking in Bristol for a dogs age and they are definitely on the slide, what are other peoples experience where you live ?

All but given up.

Where I am looking (SE, near to but not London) has risen at least 15% since 2007 and still going up. :angry:

HOLA445
HOLA446

Really? I take it your not looking at First time buyer properties then? Because I'm looking in the £150-£170k range and all I've seen for the last couple of months is everything going Sold STC.

HOLA447
HOLA448

All but given up.

Where I am looking (SE, near to but not London) has risen at least 15% since 2007 and still going up. :angry:

I'm seeing what I've been seeing for months years.. total stagnation with the occasional blip for a handful of sales.

Mostly, the stuff moving is heavily discounted from the owner's original expectation or has been priced keenly relative to other nearby houses.

Most might as well take their houses off the market.. I think the only reason the EA's don't take them off their books is because they need something to stick in their window to make it look as though they have something to sell.

It's all very tedious, and that's probably what's being reflected on the forum.

I'm actually amazed the agents are still in business. I presume they must be making up for it in lettings (I notice some of the older lettings companies have closed down recently.. presumably pushed out of the market by some of the EA chains fighting for survival).

HOLA449

I find it difficult to reply to the news items - sometimes it wants a password, sometimes it does not. Often if I post there the posts never show, and IMPO it distracts from the main forums, so what is the point of comments there?

+1

Never shows and the forums are the real place to comment IMPO.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Really? I take it your not looking at First time buyer properties then? Because I'm looking in the £150-£170k range and all I've seen for the last couple of months is everything going Sold STC.

broken chains...My EA contact says they place STC up as son as the purchaser nods....and when the mortgage fails, to materialise, they leave it posted "just in case".

The whole idea is to get you to think theres a shortage.

HOLA4413

broken chains...My EA contact says they place STC up as son as the purchaser nods....and when the mortgage fails, to materialise, they leave it posted "just in case".

That must backfire.. as soon as I see a STC or Under Offer note it puts me off straight away. The last thing I want to do is get into a bidding war.. there's plenty of property not moving and clearly no rush.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I find it difficult to reply to the news items - sometimes it wants a password, sometimes it does not. Often if I post there the posts never show.

another +1 - gave up trying to post there ages ago, though I think it's a good place to have comments - good to have comments on the front page to reel in casual readers.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

To be honest i think a lot of us HPC'ers are just a bit worn out and depressed by it all recently.

There is so much hypocracy, stupidity and downright profiteering (both political and economic) at the moment its like living in a satirical sketch or a parody of what democracy should be.

Prices are generally stagnant or slowly falling, but incomes vs. inflation are erroding so quickly it doesn't matter, benifits cutting, engaging private enterprise even more.

Some recents examples:

1) We wonder where all the jobs are going to come from.... then we discover that in order to keep earning JSA many people are working for poundland or tesco or similar as free labour to do a 'work experience' scheme. Why bother advertising jobs when you have the state desperate to give you free labour?

2) We wonder what is going to be done to increase training capability for industry in need... then we find out that Eric Pickles is announcing a new Curry College. Yes this is the same Pickles who at the last conservative party conference won money from ladbrokes by taking a photo of himself eating curry in Brimingham.

3) We wonder how we will meet our ambitious climate change targets set by Tony Blair.... only to then find our Mr Hendry, the MP for Sussex, has bought a 2.5million mansion up in Ayrshire. That a great example,

4) We wonder where the political alternatives are... but we hear Milliband and Balls talking on about how this current government is causing the crisis by not spending enough and cutting too hard. when we all know that it was the last Labour party who have caused the majority of this to be neccessary by their unfunded overspending.

5) At a time when waiting lists for council housing are at their highest level ever in history... the government now announces a new plan to sell off more council housing under the right to buy at greater below market value discounts which of course are effectively underwritten by the taxpayer. Thus allowing those who needed council housing to buy at rates cheaper that anyone else will get whilst helping reduce total housing stock available to the local Housing Authority.

If it wasn't real government and real policies i'd be sure it was some kind of comic tragedy... instead i'm worn out of expressing the same shock, horror and concern over government announcements day after day. If they really want to destroy society then they are well on track.

It's depressing and each day the whole mess only gets worse and more farsical - there is no alternative to support out there who is making sense and has any credibility.

HOLA4419

you are using property bee i assume.

Yes I'm using property Bee, but still not seeing drops like I was earlier in the year. When a house comes on the market at £170k, when it should really be around £150k, they may drop it £5k but it usually sells after the first drop. If you could see my saved properties now, I would say 70% of them are SSTC. To be fair I probably save far too many properties, as I'm interested in seeing if the sales fall through, plus it reminds me to check what the final sale price is once it's gone through.

I don't get this at all. Surely if the sale falls through, the buyer would like it to be re-advertised as personally I will not enquire about a house that's either SSTC or Under offer on rightmove?

That must backfire.. as soon as I see a STC or Under Offer note it puts me off straight away. The last thing I want to do is get into a bidding war.. there's plenty of property not moving and clearly no rush.

Here I beg to differ, although I am only talking about Bristol to be fair. There's not a lot on the market at the moment (which I know will have something to do with the time of year), but I've been very suprised with the number of over priced properties that have quickly gone SSTC in the last few months. Granted they might fall through, but I have to say so far, only the odd one I've been watching has fallen through.

HOLA4420

I find it difficult to reply to the news items - sometimes it wants a password, sometimes it does not. Often if I post there the posts never show, and IMPO it distracts from the main forums, so what is the point of comments there?

I don't understand either. I have been posting here for three years, but for comments on the news items the site won't accept my pass or login.

In short. Gave up.

Most of the news items make it to the forum anyway, so it appears redundant.

HOLA4421

To be honest i think a lot of us HPC'ers are just a bit worn out and depressed by it all recently.

There is so much hypocracy, stupidity and downright profiteering (both political and economic) at the moment its like living in a satirical sketch or a parody of what democracy should be.

Prices are generally stagnant or slowly falling, but incomes vs. inflation are erroding so quickly it doesn't matter, benifits cutting, engaging private enterprise even more.

Some recents examples:

1) We wonder where all the jobs are going to come from.... then we discover that in order to keep earning JSA many people are working for poundland or tesco or similar as free labour to do a 'work experience' scheme. Why bother advertising jobs when you have the state desperate to give you free labour?

2) We wonder what is going to be done to increase training capability for industry in need... then we find out that Eric Pickles is announcing a new Curry College. Yes this is the same Pickles who at the last conservative party conference won money from ladbrokes by taking a photo of himself eating curry in Brimingham.

3) We wonder how we will meet our ambitious climate change targets set by Tony Blair.... only to then find our Mr Hendry, the MP for Sussex, has bought a 2.5million mansion up in Ayrshire. That a great example,

4) We wonder where the political alternatives are... but we hear Milliband and Balls talking on about how this current government is causing the crisis by not spending enough and cutting too hard. when we all know that it was the last Labour party who have caused the majority of this to be neccessary by their unfunded overspending.

5) At a time when waiting lists for council housing are at their highest level ever in history... the government now announces a new plan to sell off more council housing under the right to buy at greater below market value discounts which of course are effectively underwritten by the taxpayer. Thus allowing those who needed council housing to buy at rates cheaper that anyone else will get whilst helping reduce total housing stock available to the local Housing Authority.

If it wasn't real government and real policies i'd be sure it was some kind of comic tragedy... instead i'm worn out of expressing the same shock, horror and concern over government announcements day after day. If they really want to destroy society then they are well on track.

It's depressing and each day the whole mess only gets worse and more farsical - there is no alternative to support out there who is making sense and has any credibility.

Quite, worn out and depressed. It's all so expletive predictable.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Thats because you are a landlord as you said yourself !

First reaction: hey, that's cool! I've got a stalker!

I think that I've only mentioned once that I'm a landlord (by marriage) so it looks like at least one person is paying attention to my posts!

Second reaction: Ok, not sure why "being a landlord" means that I would never bother looking elsewhere than the forum. Ok, I've just finished eating, and the meal was washed down with something alcoholic, but the logic somehow escapes me...