House Price Crash Forum

Resident In Uk And Investment And Tax

buyerbeware

HOLA441

I am currently an expat but may be returning to UK after rwo decades away. I have wide ranging investments in equities, gold and currencies. I trade quite regularly from one thing to another. All my investment activity is outside the UK. I am wondering when I return how much of chore it is going to be to report this to the taxman and how much I am going to pay. I take it your are only liable on selling.

HOLA442

I am currently an expat but may be returning to UK after rwo decades away. I have wide ranging investments in equities, gold and currencies. I trade quite regularly from one thing to another. All my investment activity is outside the UK. I am wondering when I return how much of chore it is going to be to report this to the taxman and how much I am going to pay. I take it your are only liable on selling.

Sell any equities or gold where your in profit before you return to the UK, then there will be no CGT to pay. Hold onto any assets that are in loss, those can be sold later to offset future gains.

HOLA443

If you just hold lots of assets ad hoc, it'll be a chore.

You'll need to declare all your dividends, and what foreign tax (if any) has been paid on them. Whether you then have to pay tax on those (or even if you can claim a rebate) depends on your circumstances. Furthermore, you may have some foreign red tape to deal with, to avoid paying withholding taxes to countries where non-UK assets are based.

Fortunately there is a much cheaper alternative to an accountant if you don't want to do it yourself. If you transfer your assets to an asset manager's low-cost "platform", all your income will be received into your platform account, and it will generate the numbers for your tax return on your behalf.

HOLA444