House Price Crash Forum

Fuel Shortage

HOLA441

Maybe there's a stinker in the budget.

My thoughts exactly....

5p on fuel duty + no respite from the already planned increases. The economy is slipping again (if it ever really stopped) as are tax revenues and they have to try and get the reserves in anyway. Taken in conjunction with the scrapping of the 50p tax band and there are going to be some very unhappy bunnies out there.

Also in the news last day or two 50% Chance of downgrade x two ratings agencies.

If those downgrades come it is all over anyway, in so far as the Governments policy to support property values will be well and truly fecked.

The Government shit themselves over how easy it was for a few truck drivers to blockade the depot's and strangle supply during the 2000 protests. They were so worried they rushed some pretty draconian legislation through Parliament soon after to try and stem similar protests in the future. Not widely reported upon at the time by our great media but then 90% of the population would not have understood them and/or give a toss anyway. They were far too immersed in the boom time.

The collecting of registration numbers for key workers will be an early planning measure in case fuel has to be rationed. I was a key workers during the 2000 protest and they were hours away from declaring an emergency then. On that occasion though it was unplanned and they did not start to make plans in providing a supply to key workers until quite late on. I can recall the DOT asked for names and registration numbers to be submitted and there was to be one nominated fuel station in each area where 'authorised' persons could fill up.

HOLA442

The whole thing about Iran is based on a load of totally unsubstantiated accusations.

just like Iraq

To be fair, anyone who bothered to Google "Iraq WMD" back in 2002/03 knew very quickly that there was something very wrong with the claims being made by Bliar & Co.

In contrast Iran very definately has a nuclear programme and I don't think many sensible people think it is for peaceful civilian purposes.

Sadly one of the many disasterous outcomes of the Iraq war crime is that the west's ability to stop Iran is greatly diminished.

HOLA443

:o

I am off out to get some white paint to whitewash the windows with to reflect the 4,000C degree nuclear fireball.

Crazy as it sounds it works - if the windows survive the blast the whitewash can effectively stop the house contents catching fire.

HOLA444

The collecting of registration numbers for key workers will be an early planning measure in case fuel has to be rationed. I was a key workers during the 2000 protest and they were hours away from declaring an emergency then. On that occasion though it was unplanned and they did not start to make plans in providing a supply to key workers until quite late on. I can recall the DOT asked for names and registration numbers to be submitted and there was to be one nominated fuel station in each area where 'authorised' persons could fill up.

From what they said that is about the gist of it ,and there was a time scale mentioned ,I was a bit cynical and said they are going to start charging for the use of the car park and it was just a blag to get the reg so they knew where to send the bill

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Fair play op! - that was a good call.

Shell garage at the bottom of London Rd Ipswich (usually a busy 24hr garage) was closed at lunchtime today when I went past, and the Sainsburys garage over the road was VERY busy, cars queuing well into the supermarket car park on one side and 3 - 4 deep on the road side.

Strike or not, panic buying will cause shortages which will spook the herd causing more panic buying and even more shortages - it becomes self fulfilling.

Seems a bit odd for camoron to add 'fuel to the fire' by mentioning this so clumsily today, even implying that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a jerry can or 2 in reserve. Is this whole 'shortage' completely staged? Surely they aren't so desperate they are bringing forward some extra fuel demand into the end of 2011/12??

HOLA448

Fair play op! - that was a good call.

Shell garage at the bottom of London Rd Ipswich (usually a busy 24hr garage) was closed at lunchtime today when I went past, and the Sainsburys garage over the road was VERY busy, cars queuing well into the supermarket car park on one side and 3 - 4 deep on the road side.

Strike or not, panic buying will cause shortages which will spook the herd causing more panic buying and even more shortages - it becomes self fulfilling.

Seems a bit odd for camoron to add 'fuel to the fire' by mentioning this so clumsily today, even implying that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a jerry can or 2 in reserve. Is this whole 'shortage' completely staged? Surely they aren't so desperate they are bringing forward some extra fuel demand into the end of 2011/12??

http://news.sky.com/home/business/article/16197699 Francis Maude telling people to fill up jerry cans!! Fire brigade and AA not happy. Looks like my bike will be getting an airing over the easter weekend!!

HOLA449

TPTB must've had at least as much notice as us on here - so they must've expected to have to deal with the media and have appropriate responses agreed amongst themselves and some sort of strategy in place. Seems strange / incompetent in the extreme to encourage people to panic buy and store fuel at home??

Odd.

HOLA4410

Thought I'd better fill-up today after the government suggestions seem likely to cause a rush.

I was going to fill-up in France for 20% less (diesel) last week but they had shut down the garage near to the ferry terminal and I didn't have time to play hunt the filling station, so arrived home with less than quarter of a tank.

No queues at all at the local garage this morning, but my wife went out a few hours later to the supermarket and had to queue for twenty minutes.

HOLA4411

Israel will launch strikes on nuclear targets in Iran.

Iran responds with missile strikes on Israel and blocking off oil supplies in the Gulf.

US responds with all-out air and naval warfare.

Iran responds with ground attack on US forces in Afghanistan.

This is going to be a busy year... :huh:

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad will bottle out when he believe disaster is imminent. :rolleyes:

HOLA4412

A relative has just had to give the registration number of their car to their employer as they are deemed to be essential service ,they work in the public sector so they must have been tipped off,of planed protest`s

Any one know of such protest`s

long time lurking, thanks for this advance warning from 15th March, and ten days before the masses began to panic for fuel.

It saved us from a lot of the hassle some have experienced over the last few days. For two cars we topped up next day, as a precaution, and were more alert to topping up again before the gauge hit half way.

When everyone else began to panic, we had nearly full tanks. Not caught out with little fuel in the tanks and a need to wait in long queues, nor at any of the stations which had run out of fuel.

Not a protest as such but a fuel shortage because of panic buying. I'm forgiving myself for panic buying, because acted before the masses panicked.

Archived