House Price Crash Forum

What Will Be The New Labour Spin On

Randall Herbert

HOLA441

Any predictions on how Tony, Gordon, Ttwo fat Jags etc will present the unavoidable inevitability of the latest houseprice crash to the nation when they can't hide their dirty deed any longer?

I seem to recall Two Fat Jags stating last year that "of course we inherited the housing market bubble from the Tories" over a year ago now.

Might have to kill more than just a weapons inspector to get out of this one? :angry:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Any predictions on how Tony, Gordon, Ttwo fat Jags etc will present the unavoidable inevitability of the latest houseprice crash to the nation when they can't hide their dirty deed any longer?

I seem to recall Two Fat Jags stating last year that "of course we inherited the housing market bubble from the Tories" over a year ago now.

Might have to kill more than just a weapons inspector to get out of this one? :angry:

They'll place the blame, quite rightly, on greedy speculators who pushed prices beyond the reach of ordinary, humble, decent, working folk.

I wonder if they'll remember the Prime Minister is a property speculator.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest The dude
If that were true wouldn't there have been a strong case for a 'competent' Govt. to have intervened decisively and robustly before such an anomaly grew arms and legs?

Sorry, I am no apologist for this government, but do not ever lose sight of the fact that it WAS greedy everyday people who thought they could make a fast buck and buy up every property in sight and then rent it out.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Who introduced the whole Buy-to-let Idea, Tories I think?

So TB & GB will more than like say that houses prices wll be correcting to the long term average. The recent increases due to changes in the law bought in by previous Government.

surprised that TB hasn't bailed out of the market, what was the price of his house he just bought 3.6m? imagine the -ve equity he'll get, especailly if not elected again. He'll need to do well on his autobiography and after dinner speeches to get out of that.

:blink:

Hah ha ha aha

kam

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Sorry, I am no apologist for this government, but do not ever lose sight of the fact that it WAS greedy everyday people who thought they could make a fast buck and buy up every property in sight and then rent it out.

Now there I agree with you. It is easy to blame any government for excessive house prices, but for that to happen there has to be significant proportion (and that's being kind) of the population which was perfectly happy to make a fast buck while the going was good. A case in point is the Cornish, who previously were the poor men of the UK, and still are in many respects. But many Cornishmen have rubbed their hands with glee in climbing on the insane property price hike which has seen houses here go beyond the reach of OTHER Cornishmen and women who did not display the same greed at the same time.

VP

HOLA4411

And no doubt every month when your pay cheques come in, you offer 50% back to the employer so as not to be considered greedy.

Come of it.

If there is money to be made, its human nature to go and collect it, those that dont are the fools not those that do.

Its the end of the Nanny State, you have to make your own way in life now!!!.

How you earn a living is your own responsibility and if you find yourselves short later in life you have only yourselves to blame. Greed does not come into it, its called survival and you had better wake up to it.

HOLA4412
Guest The dude
And no doubt every month when your pay cheques come in, you offer 50% back to the employer so as not to be considered greedy.

Come of it.

If there is money to be made, its human nature to go and collect it, those that dont are the fools not those that do.

Its the end of the Nanny State, you have to make your own way in life now!!!.

How you earn a living is your own responsibility and if you find yourselves short later in life you have only yourselves to blame. Greed does not come into it, its called survival and you had better wake up to it.

LJ.....I have suffered you more than enough - man you are a joke!

HOLA4413
Sorry, I am no apologist for this government, but do not ever lose sight of the fact that it WAS greedy everyday people who thought they could make a fast buck and buy up every property in sight and then rent it out

Given your statement above the Joke is where?.

I think you need a reality check, come back to planet earth and get a life.

Greed? Is a word often used by those ridden with jealousy as they find themselves unable to make a life for themselves and look to blame someone else for their misfortune.

HOLA4414
Given your statement above the Joke is where?.

I think you need a reality check, come back to planet earth and get a life.

Greed? Is a word often used by those ridden with jealousy as they find themselves unable to make a life for themselves and look to blame someone else for their misfortune.

not really. many of the houses bought by btls were ftb homes. just because you might be in a settled mid-life position to snatch up other peoples properties when young ftbs were not at that stage of life yet doesnt mean its acceptable.

when they were ready to buy they found the ftbs homes now owned by middle aged btlrs.

if thats cool with you then i will start by robbing your house.

why ? - becasue im younger than you and i can.

is the reason 'because i can' acceptable to you ?

you might find this attitude comes back to you in spades.

HOLA4415
not really. many of the houses bought by btls were ftb homes

What on earth constitutes a FTB home?.

What next FTB jeans, FTB Food, maybe Tescos should have a FTB discount card.

We live a free market economy, we live in a global economy and from what we have seen this week it wont be long before buckets loads of Chinese people turn up to buy the houses from under our feet.

There is no such thing as a FTB'er home, there are homes and there are vendors and they come in all shapes and sizes, ages, colors.

The small 1 bed flat or 2 bed mid terrace is not the preserve of the FTB'er its the domain of the highest bidder and I for one would not want to see it any other way.

Sure prices are high but then if they are unaffordable people will vote with their feet if not they will continue to buy them.

I think we should spend more time asking the questions that need to be addressed about wage inequality. Why is someone worth a 6Million christmas bonus and someone else worth 4.70ph.

Why can some afford a house, and others cant. Thats the real question to be asked, the prices are not coming down to meet the McPay then surely the real question is why is pay so low for some.

You will find the answer in the much discussed immigration scandal. Cheap workers imported have pushed the wages of the less skilled down to new levels, and the reason is simple. Cash Payments no questions asked for a third world wage.

But no doubt many will continue to join in the ridicule of the daily mail and continue to vote in a party pertaining to be the working classes friend. The party of high taxation for the poor and offshore accounts for themselves and their cronies. God help us all, will the British Public wake up and smell the coffee?.

I think not.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Speculation is bad, full stop. The government should have brought in punitive second home taxes, made examples of BTL tax dodgers, and allowed councils to create more cheap homes, lessening the need for the poor to throw themselves as raw meat to the Rachmans.

Not to mention the massive real-world inflation caused by the bank lending huge sums to MEWers to buy yet more property? How much do banks need to keep on reserve? About 8%? That's a heck of a lot of thin-air money dumped onto society, making our money worth less and less and less. Thieves.

And it hasn't just inflated house prices, but many essential goods like for are inflating at two or three times the official rates, the price falls in sweatshop made goods masking the reality.

To think, Gordon Brown chastises the workers for demanding 'inflationary' pay rises to cope with it all. A few modest pay rises are a drop in the ocean compared to the inflationary, free money bonanza of the banks.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Who introduced the whole Buy-to-let Idea, Tories I think?

So TB & GB will more than like say that houses prices wll be correcting to the long term average. The recent increases due to changes in the law bought in by previous Government.

surprised that TB hasn't bailed out of the market, what was the price of his house he just bought 3.6m? imagine the -ve equity he'll get, especailly if not elected again. He'll need to do well on his autobiography and after dinner speeches to get out of that.

:blink:

Hah ha ha aha

kam

Buy to Let is just middle class people trying to protect their wealth after Gordon Brown started removing 5 billion a year from their pensions.

But, even if you got Gordon Brown on the rack, you'd never get him to admit that his raid on the nation's pensions fuelled a boom in property prices that has priced many working-class people out of property ownership.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

"I will not allow house prices to get out of control and put at risk the sustainability of the future."

Gordon Brown, Chancellor of the Exchequer November 1997

Chortle! :D

HOLA4422
"I will not allow house prices to get out of control and put at risk the sustainability of the future."

Gordon Brown, Chancellor of the Exchequer November 1997

Chortle!  :D

Do people believe this? Is this why people say the government would never let a crash occur? Many believe that statement. What they forget is the the "past is a different country, we can never go back there". 1997 and 2005 are way, way different. A whole landscape has changed. And old maxims will not hold dear.

Farewell thee, HousePrices...

HOLA4423

By asking the original question can I assume that you think Labour will win the election? I am not so sure anymore.

Interestingly Stuart Wheeler the founder of IG Index the spread betting firm is so convinced the Tories will win he has set up an account with his own company and is taking bets from all comers that the Tories will win by 50 seat margin.

Apparently he is some sort of legendary gambler who rarely loses.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
By asking the original question can I assume that you think Labour will win the election? I am not so sure anymore.

Interestingly Stuart Wheeler the founder of IG Index the spread betting firm is so convinced the Tories will win he has set up an account with his own company and is taking bets from all comers that the Tories will win by 50 seat margin.

Apparently he is some sort of legendary gambler who rarely loses.

I agree - so many people have become apathetic and just *assume* Labour will win that there is actually a real danger that the dark side may take over again, particularly with the rise of pensioner power as a block vote.