House Price Crash Forum

Are More People Giving Unexpired Car Park Tickets To Strangers?

juvenal

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

I think this is on the increase. Big Society? Austerity?

Who the Hell pays to park?

I park in the street a couple of hundred yards from the council car park and save myself £2.00.

In my local town, the council spent over £100,000 resurfacing and installing ticket machines on what had been a free car park

and since they did this NO ONE has parked there!

They now want to set up a residents parking scheme which will cost even more money to try and force people to use their car park.

The idea of actually reducing their costs and encouraging people into the town to shop is obviously too terrible to contemplate.

:blink:

HOLA444

I think this is on the increase. Big Society? Austerity?

Yes, I have a few times.

And a few times I've been given a ticket too.

I think there's a common feeling that parking charges at shopping malls are a rip.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Who the Hell pays to park?

I park in the street a couple of hundred yards from the council car park and save myself £2.00.

In my local town, the council spent over £100,000 resurfacing and installing ticket machines on what had been a free car park

and since they did this NO ONE has parked there!

They now want to set up a residents parking scheme which will cost even more money to try and force people to use their car park.

The idea of actually reducing their costs and encouraging people into the town to shop is obviously too terrible to contemplate.

:blink:

I agree with all of that, it only makes the local council look bad, greedy and unhelpful to the struggling small local businesses...it makes people resent paying the council taxes even more.....soon only the people on company expenses will be able to pay to park, knowing they will get a full refund. ;)

HOLA448
HOLA449

We have done this many times at the local hospital where a minimum ticket is for 3 hours regardless of whether you spend 5 minutes in there having blood drawn.

(They did for a while move the blood taking bit to the walk in centre but decided the free parking there was too helpful for people so moved it back)

HOLA4410

I often do this. I've paid for a space for a car - not specifically my car. If I leave and there's still time on the ticket someone else can have the benefit of it.

Legally you have paid specifically for your car, and not for the space. That said, I think the law sucks, and always offer my ticket to someone else if there is any worthwhile time left on it - it's up to them if they want to take the risk.

It might save someone couple of quid, I can't see any harm in that.

HOLA4411

We have done this many times at the local hospital where a minimum ticket is for 3 hours regardless of whether you spend 5 minutes in there having blood drawn.

(They did for a while move the blood taking bit to the walk in centre but decided the free parking there was too helpful for people so moved it back)

In my local hospital, it takes almost 3 hours to get blood drawn!

HOLA4412

I agree with all of that, it only makes the local council look bad, greedy and unhelpful to the struggling small local businesses...it makes people resent paying the council taxes even more.....soon only the people on company expenses will be able to pay to park, knowing they will get a full refund. ;)

Seems to me it would SAVE councils money if they got rid of car park charges and parking wardens in one fell swoop.

HOLA4413

Seems to me it would SAVE councils money if they got rid of car park charges and parking wardens in one fell swoop.

They should do.......one car park I know of makes you type in your car registration to get a ticket so that you can't give the unused time away...... :angry:

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

This used to happen all the time in my little Valleys town. The council got wind of it and 'upgraded' the ticket machines so that you need to input your reg number to get a ticket :angry:

HOLA4416

You also have to remember there are many people that work in the local communities voluntary, they give their time for free, they work in all areas and provide much help giving what they can, trying to give something back to society......they still need to travel to get to where help is needed and they still have to park the car, big society, big society if it suits..... :blink:

HOLA4417

I've also done it, picked up the habit when people would give their tickets to my parents so I've just carried it on.

You aren't conning the council as you say, the space has been paid for my you or I previously so why not give it someone else?

Pass the love on I say. :)

Or you could just use ALL the time you'd paid for.

HOLA4418

Or you could just use ALL the time you'd paid for.

Ha ha! You could always use that attitude with toll roads, by driving very slowly, so you get the most time for your money! ;)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

They should do.......one car park I know of makes you type in your car registration to get a ticket so that you can't give the unused time away...... :angry:

Unfortunately that doesn't work so well these days, one of the good things about the number plate switch over.

Somebody gave me their unexpired ticket on Saturday, saved me 50p. He can't have used more than 10 minutes and I only used a further 10 as clearly we were both just popping in to a shop for a few minutes, but sadly there was nobody to pass it on to.

They had the London Mayor candidate for the Green Party on TV last night going on about saving the high street. Finding somewhere and paying to park is for me the No. 1 reason people no longer bother and go out of town. Especially here over in the East and South East of London as you have two massive shopping centres in Bluewater and Lakeside with tons of free parking.

We hardly ever go to Bromley these days, it's about the same distance but the fact you have to pay and it's a pain to park it becomes a no brainer.

Archived