House Price Crash Forum

Hull Thread

HOLA441

Also the floods didnt help Kingswood. I think a lot of people who would be put off buying there considering how badly that area was hit, although much of Hull itself didnt fair much better.

I heard that Beverley was hit very badly by the 2007 floods. Could you confirm?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Hi Popgun,

Nice to see another local on the forum.

We currently rent from a friend who kept her last house when she moved in with her partner. We have been here for 6 years and its on a small Barratt estate. Our landlady/friend doesn't bother us from one year to the next (until recently we hadn't heard from her for 18 months!) and she charges us about 60% of what the rent should be on comparible houses on the estate. For us it's been a win/win situation as we pay such a small amount of rent we have been able to save heavily and spend a bit enjoying ourselves. You mention public sector, funnily enough we are both in public sector jobs so we are very lucky.

We are looking in Willerby/Anlaby/Kirkella/Swanland/Welton/Elloughton. We want to start a family this year or next so we are looking for an average 3 bed semi with a nice garden (we like being outside). The same houses seem to have been on the market forever and we won't be forced into paying over the odds for something that it is overpriced and isn't selling. We have been putting offers in which I think are quite generous but we are still getting laughed at by estate agents.

What sort of place are you looking for?

Simon

Very nice part of East Yorkshire. Superior to Beverley IMHO (latter has been overdeveloped to bu**ery).

Don't worry, you'll have the last laugh in time. HPC is happening, it's just like a crash in very slow motion, that's all.

HOLA443
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA444

My wife and I have just started looking in this area too. We’re in our late 20s/early 30s, and we hadn’t even considered buying until recently because we had nowhere near enough in savings to put down a 10% deposit, but thanks to a change in circumstances we reckon we might be able to afford to buy a house for up to around £130k towards the end of this year.

We both work in the Howden area and we’re renting at the moment, been working there for a couple of years now but since neither of us come from Yorkshire originally we’re not too familiar with the different towns in the East Riding. Brough was one of the towns that did pop up on our radar though - decent bus and rail links, 15-20 mins drive to work, quite a few facilities and shops including a couple of supermarkets, and apparently the local schools are decent (our first child is due in September, so we’re thinking ahead! :) ).

I’d heard that builders like Barratt and Wimpey are falling over themselves to sell houses at the moment, so we went to have a look at some of the show homes in the new development in Brough yesterday. They were very nice inside but they seemed a bit overpriced at around £165-175k for a 3 bed semi, with postage stamp gardens. They’re offering all sorts of finance deals at the moment, which were admittedly very tempting as they would’ve put the £175k properties within our grasp, but then when we got home we came across review sites and forums such as these that warn people to avoid these companies and their finance deals like the plague!

So now I think we’ll sit back and wait for the prices to fall lower, and then hopefully by the end of the year we can get a nice 3 bed semi for a realistic price.

HOLA445

Hi Jd,

Thanks for sharing your observations, part of this game is all about information sharing!

I personally don't like the new part of Brough, I find that it is a bit over-crowded and I don't really like new build houses anyway. The original part of Brough is nice as is Elloughton. If you were looking at Elloughton then there are some nice semi's around the Beech Road / Hunter Road / Jefferson Drive / Atkinson Drive area. I also don't like the main pub in Brough (Red Hawk) mainly because I went to school round there and its a bit like a reunion! Having said all of that, Brough is excellent for transport links and amenities.

If you wanted to come a bit closer to Hull then Hessle has all the same amenities / train station / good bus links etc.

**Quick update on our situation for Westbury / Popgun**

We have found the perfect house!! It's a semi in Kirkella, perfect size, perfect location.....only problem is that it had subsidence 3 years ago. Now all fixed but still a big issue for insurance and re-sale purposes in the future. I won't identify it further due to the issues, but I can't imagine we will be offering on it unless they are willing to accept substantially lower offer. I have mentioned a figure of around 25% off the current asking price.

So, on to the next one, seen a 2 bed bungalow in Kirkella with potential to conevrt loft into one or two further bedrooms, so will be arranging a viewing tomorrow.

Simon

HOLA446

Hi Jd,

Thanks for sharing your observations, part of this game is all about information sharing!

I personally don't like the new part of Brough, I find that it is a bit over-crowded and I don't really like new build houses anyway. The original part of Brough is nice as is Elloughton. If you were looking at Elloughton then there are some nice semi's around the Beech Road / Hunter Road / Jefferson Drive / Atkinson Drive area. I also don't like the main pub in Brough (Red Hawk) mainly because I went to school round there and its a bit like a reunion! Having said all of that, Brough is excellent for transport links and amenities.

If you wanted to come a bit closer to Hull then Hessle has all the same amenities / train station / good bus links etc.

**Quick update on our situation for Westbury / Popgun**

We have found the perfect house!! It's a semi in Kirkella, perfect size, perfect location.....only problem is that it had subsidence 3 years ago. Now all fixed but still a big issue for insurance and re-sale purposes in the future. I won't identify it further due to the issues, but I can't imagine we will be offering on it unless they are willing to accept substantially lower offer. I have mentioned a figure of around 25% off the current asking price.

So, on to the next one, seen a 2 bed bungalow in Kirkella with potential to conevrt loft into one or two further bedrooms, so will be arranging a viewing tomorrow.

Simon

Good luck Simon & JD.

Maybe we can form some kind of bidding down cartel. All target a house with false 35% off bids to rattle the vendors. Then whoever actually wants to buy the place can come in with a better but still reduced price. Would this be evil? :D

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Yes I think we'll have a serious rethink about buying new build. Several things put us off about the development in Brough - almost all of the houses that are still for sale are the ones that are still being constructed, and the ones that we did have a look around were practically built on top of one another, with the gardens overlooked by all the neighbours. They lacked storage space as well, just a cupboard under the stairs really, and not much room in the garden to put a shed.

From what I've read online these seem to be common traits to most new build developments, although we will probably go and see a few more regardless and make our own minds up.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Wecome JG.

Not looking, though watching the market and waiting.

I'm getting a bit worried that everyone else on this thread has now bought!

Plenty coming onto the market here - with very little getting a sold sign. Unfortunately, not much happening in the area I'm looking at. I'll hang on for a few months more yet - If no change to the market over that period I'll give in........

Westbury

HOLA4412

Hi JG / Westbury,

I'm still here! Still looking.....the market seems stagnant.....except for the circa £190k semis that seem to either sell very quickly or not at all. I attribute this to buyers who have sold their starter home, making a good profit and therefore affording to pay over the odds to move up to the next sized house. We have offered (a very generous) £180k on three different ones now and been turned down each time.

JG it sounds like we are looking at the same houses in the same area. We have narrowed our serach to Kirkella, Willerby and Anlaby.

Are there any in particular you are looking at? I've probably viewed most of them or know something about them!

Simon

Edited by simon813

HOLA4413

Hi JG / Westbury,

I'm still here! Still looking.....the market seems stagnant.....except for the circa £190k semis that seem to either sell very quickly or not at all. I attribute this to buyers who have sold their starter home, making a good profit and therefore affording to pay over the odds to move up to the next sized house. We have offered (a very generous) £180k on three different ones now and been turned down each time.

JG it sounds like we are looking at the same houses in the same area. We have narrowed our serach to Kirkella, Willerby and Anlaby.

Are there any in particular you are looking at? I've probably viewed most of them or know something about them!

Simon

A couple on Carr Lane amongst others - can you PM on here? I'll send you some RightMove links!

HOLA4414

Hi JG / Westbury,

Simon

Should also add that I'm finding the whole thing more than a little soul destroying - seems the same houses keep appearing in my inbox.....

HOLA4415

I'm not sure if you can PM or not, i've never had cause to use it on this forum.

As for Carr Lane, I know it well. We haven't looked internally at any down there but I know a 3 bed semi came up down there about a week ago, near the willerby square end.

If you can find a PM facility then drop me a line. We have been looking down Windsor Ave in Anlaby aswell as Fairfield Ave / Redland Drive area of Kirkella.

Simon

HOLA4416

I'm not sure if you can PM or not, i've never had cause to use it on this forum.

As for Carr Lane, I know it well. We haven't looked internally at any down there but I know a 3 bed semi came up down there about a week ago, near the willerby square end.

If you can find a PM facility then drop me a line. We have been looking down Windsor Ave in Anlaby aswell as Fairfield Ave / Redland Drive area of Kirkella.

Simon

It's really scare - and lots of properties on the market at 100+ weeks according to PropertyBee! *sigh*

Email me - jghull[at]live dot co dot uk

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4417

Hi folks,

Time for a quick update. We had been seriously looking at two properties, one in Anlaby and one in Kirkella. We had offered a sum £15k lower than asking on the Anlaby one and were told that a further £5k would secure a sale. We held off as we thought that the sum we had offered was too much never mind £5k more. A few weeks later I asked the EA to ask the vendor to reconsider our offer and was told that now they would only accept £10k more i.e. only £5k off full asking price. This is on a circa £200k house that has been on the market for 7 months. The Kirkella one had had previous subsidence issues. We said that we would only consider offering after the vendors had had a full survey done at their cost. They eventually agreed but then the EA rang me and said that a local surveyor had done them a favour and had a look round (at no cost!) and that she could forward the email of his findings to me! I explained again that we wanted a PROPER survey and we haven't heard anything since!!

So, I went proactive! I produced a letter stating our position and made 50 copies of it. I went out and posted the letters along 4 streets in Kirkella, targeting houses that I liked the look of and I thought might be in our price range. I expected to get zero replies, however I got 4! I'm not going to go into too much detail at this stage but we are in negotiations with a very nice chap who is selling his house to move in with his girlfriend. The house needs a lot of work doing to it and has a very large garden that presently looks like a jungle! We are just waiting for two more valuations (The first EA valued it too high but luckily the chap seems to realise this) and then we will be making an offer.

Fingers crossed, this house is on our favourite road in the area and has a 200ft garden. It would be a family home for life. I'm trying not to get too excited!!

Simon

Edited by simon813

HOLA4418

Hi Simon,

That sounds great - Fingers crossed for you both and lets hope it goes through ok.

Don't think its my imagination, but there seems to be an increase of "for sale" boards going up in West Hull? One or two are popping up in my area but still out of my price range at the moment.

Best of luck, your enterprise deserves to be rewarded.

Westbury.

PS. Thinking about it 4 out of 50 is a higher rate of interest rate than I would expected. Prices may start moving in the right direstion for a change if the volume keep going up. And hopefully your contribution will add to the statistics. :)

HOLA4419

Hi Westbury,

Definately not your imagination, I think for sale signs are popping up more fequently, but not neccesarily in the type of property (3 bed semi) that we are looking for.

I put quite a lot of time and effort into the wording our our letter, however we never expected to get 4 responses from 50 letters. At best I had hoped to get one. Of the four, one was a lady selling her mothers house as she had gone into residential, one was an old gent downsizing, one was a guy who emigrated to France and has been renting his old house but now wants to sell and the forth was the one mentioned in my previous post.

The second valuation should be today, fingers crossed it is a little lower than the first! It's really hard for us to put a value on the house as it is smaller than nearly everything else down the road and only about 10 houses have sold down there in the past 10 years. On top of that I reckon it needs £20k - £25k spending on it, and thats before you even think about tackling the garden which would probably need heavy machinery.

I have a figure in my head, I just hope it isn't too far away from the one in his head!

Simon

HOLA4420

Hi Westbury,

Definately not your imagination, I think for sale signs are popping up more fequently, but not neccesarily in the type of property (3 bed semi) that we are looking for.

I put quite a lot of time and effort into the wording our our letter, however we never expected to get 4 responses from 50 letters. At best I had hoped to get one. Of the four, one was a lady selling her mothers house as she had gone into residential, one was an old gent downsizing, one was a guy who emigrated to France and has been renting his old house but now wants to sell and the forth was the one mentioned in my previous post.

The second valuation should be today, fingers crossed it is a little lower than the first! It's really hard for us to put a value on the house as it is smaller than nearly everything else down the road and only about 10 houses have sold down there in the past 10 years. On top of that I reckon it needs £20k - £25k spending on it, and thats before you even think about tackling the garden which would probably need heavy machinery.

I have a figure in my head, I just hope it isn't too far away from the one in his head!

Simon

Hi both,

It looks like we're snared one! Genuine 4 bed in Willerby, double garage, semi (end of it's block so garden big).

Just looking at mortgages and trying to work out whether a tracker or fixed is the way forward.

This is a home for us for 10 years minimum, so happy with the price and even if prices drop, it's not going to impact us given we dont need to sell it.

Fingers crossed we can sort the mortgage out....

HOLA4421

Hi JGHull,

Good news. I'd be interested to know which one it is, but I appreciate you probably won't want to say until it all goes through. My first thought from the description was the one on Derrymore, but that's only a 3 bed.

We are still waiting for final valuation. It looks like negotiations will begin at the weekend!!

Si

HOLA4422

Hi JGHull,

Good news. I'd be interested to know which one it is, but I appreciate you probably won't want to say until it all goes through. My first thought from the description was the one on Derrymore, but that's only a 3 bed.

We are still waiting for final valuation. It looks like negotiations will begin at the weekend!!

Si

No, not that one. This is a genuine "4 bedder". I've got everything crossed :)

Keep us posted on yours Si!

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Well, it looks like our deal has fallen at the first hurdle. The 2nd and 3rd valuations were stupidly high, £30k over what we think it is worth. The vendor, as you would expect and I don't blame him, has listened to these valuations and the EA's promises of a quick sale and decided to put it on the market at £30k more than we can afford. We are really starting to get despondant now, I don't think we will ever find a house.

Simon

HOLA4425

Well, it looks like our deal has fallen at the first hurdle. The 2nd and 3rd valuations were stupidly high, £30k over what we think it is worth. The vendor, as you would expect and I don't blame him, has listened to these valuations and the EA's promises of a quick sale and decided to put it on the market at £30k more than we can afford. We are really starting to get despondant now, I don't think we will ever find a house.

Simon

Hi Simon,

What a bummer - sounds like you got attached to this one. Sorry to hear thebad news. I'll bet you'll be keeping a eye on it when the for sale board goes up to see if the "quick sale" materialises. :ph34r:

I'm now clinging to the believe that the HPC bear is now coming out of hibernation, stretching itself, sharpening its claws and teath and will soon set off on a trail of destruction.

Westbury